Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator Light coming on
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saucy Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Alternator Light coming on Reply with quote

'78 Super and its been out of service for a fuel line problem for about Year now. I finally got the time to replace the lines and she fired rite up and we took her for a drive. All working well till I noticed the alternator light had come on, then that her blinkers and fuel gauge were also not working...I immediately pulled over and her belt was fine, checked some connections and everything seemed ok, we got back in and drove for about a mile (did hit some bumps and over a couple of RR tracks) and the lite went out and everything started working again, drove her about another 5mi to the house with no issues... I haven't put a volt meter to it yet but could this be the start of the alternator going out on me? Or maybe just a loose connection somewhere? Thoughts? Suggestions?

78 SB CHAMPAGNE II
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Light coming on Reply with quote

I'd start by removing all the fuses and polishing the tabs they go into as well as the ends of the fuses.
Just in case someone has been putting the wrong size fuses in here's the list of what goes where: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/78bug/1978T1-43.jpg

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Saucy Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Light coming on Reply with quote

I will do this busdaddy and let you know, thanks for the advice...

78 SB CHAMPAGNE II
Saucy Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Light coming on Reply with quote

Busdaddy, wanted to give an update and thank you for the quick advice...After cleaning all the fuses and connections from one end to the other (at least all I could find) the GEN or ALT light was still coming on, and it turns out after finding the exact time this would happen (it would go off once I shut it down and restarted it) is what lead to the solution or cause of the problem I should say. turns out the light was coming on when I would push the brakes and turn on one of the blinkers. This led me the the blinker switch, believe it or not, not really the blinker switch but the wiper switch, I remembered I had replaced it end of last year with(yes I should have known better) a Chinese POS because the click notches had broke/worn down on the original and it had completely stopped working. So luckily I never throw anything away when it comes to the Bug and still had the old one on a shelf, so I put it on and and we went for a drive. Drove 35 miles all lights on using brakes and blinkers every chance I could and light never came on once. Only issue now is I don't have wipers (we "try" not to take her out in the rain tho)...So now I'm on the hunt for a replacement switch, part # 113 953 503 AT, I've come close in finding it with only the letters at the end being different and here's my question for you or anyone in the land of the Samba...What, if any, does the letters mean in the part number for the wiper switch? Can I use a different one if all the numbers match but the letters are different? Again thanks for all the help...

78 SB CHAMPAGNE II
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Light coming on Reply with quote

Saucy Jack wrote:
So now I'm on the hunt for a replacement switch, part # 113 953 503 AT, I've come close in finding it with only the letters at the end being different and here's my question for you or anyone in the land of the Samba...What, if any, does the letters mean in the part number for the wiper switch? Can I use a different one if all the numbers match but the letters are different?

Those letters at the end are specific to updates made by the factory or sometime retailers add the letters to ID where the parts are made parts (GR, BR, MX, etc). It is best to confirm that the part is made for your model Beetle. For example (US-spec Beetles are all Deluxe models):
111-953-519/HAC - Wiper Switch Column Mounted, fits:
    Beetle 71-73 Deluxe models
    74-75 all models

111-953-519/GR - Steering Column Wash Wipe Switch, fits:
    Beetle 11/1973-11/1974
    Beetle Deluxe models 8/1975 on
    Beetle 1303 all models
    924 1976-1980

Note that the part#s are the same. The only difference is the letters at the end to separate the early switch from the later. But clearly the application of the part is year specific. Since your car is a '78 SB (aka 1303) you probably want the later style switch ending in 519/GER.

The addition of letters to VW part numbers were common as parts were upgraded/superseded. For example:
    NOS early Beetle 2-prong brake switch = 113-945-515E
    Current available early Beetle 2-prong brake switch = 113-945-515H
    Current available early Beetle 2-prong brake switch (Forst brand) = 113-945-515HF

Current available late Beetle 3-prong brake switch = 113-945-515G
    Current available late Beetle 3-prong brake switch (German made) = 113-945-515GGR

You can see how the numbers identify the part and the letters at the end are used for identifying the different version/application/maker of the parts.

I guess what I'm trying to say is use the part numbers w/ letters to guide your search, but confirm with the seller that the part will fit your specific car.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: