Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Heater Box Option
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Front Heater Box Option Reply with quote

Here is a question for a real Vanagon minutia expert. Can you tell from the outside whether a front, under the dash, heater box is an older one (side vents blow cold always) or a newer one (side vents blow hot when heat is on)?

By "outside" I mean outside of the heater box not outside of the van!

I have an older one in my '86 Syncro that blows cold from those side vents and am looking at another one. I had the newer one in my '90 Westy and sure liked the warm air at the sides. Learned along the way somewhere that there was a change at some point.

Anybody happen to know this important factoid?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Box Option Reply with quote

The change is in the location and maybe the shape of the outlets, so yes you can tell.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Box Option Reply with quote

If you drop the glovebox down, you should be able to see the sides of the heater box assembly. You should see a large round hole and a smaller oval shaped hole. One of them will be open (and have a hose attached to it leading to the side dash vents) and one will be "closed off" i.e. does not allow flow through it.

If you have the oval ports open and leading to the side dash vents, then that is the later style box which allows heated air to the side vents.

If the oval ports are closed off and the circular holes are open, then that is the earlier style, and the side vents only will be getting ambient temp air.

Disregard the giant body wash bottle in this photo. But the heater box shown here is the later style box (heated side vents). You can see the circular hole is capped off, while the oval hole is open.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Box Option Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
Disregard the giant body wash bottle in this photo. But the heater box shown here is the later style box (heated side vents). You can see the circular hole is capped off, while the oval hole is open.

Now, how can I “disregard” that giant red bottle?!

Thanks for exactly the info I was looking for.

This brings up another question, though. Can one plug the “early” round hole and open the oval one on an “older” box to get that nice warm air?

I just rebuilt my older style one but did not think about all this at the time and don’t remember at all the internals.

Thanks revolution337.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Box Option Reply with quote

gertiebob wrote:
revolution337 wrote:

Now, how can I “disregard” that giant red bottle?!

Thanks for exactly the info I was looking for.

This brings up another question, though. Can one plug the “early” round hole and open the oval one on an “older” box to get that nice warm air?

I just rebuilt my older style one but did not think about all this at the time and don’t remember at all the internals.

Thanks revolution337.

Sure you can plug them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Box Option Reply with quote

You can modify either style quite simply to operate either way.
I modified my 86 to blow warm air out the side dash vents.

It is in my heater box rebuild thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605822&highlight=

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Box Option Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I modified my 86 to blow warm air out the side dash vents. ...

Well, that was quite a project and you had a following! I did find the hole reference within. Of course, now, you have me thinking I should remove my perfectly re-finished dash and tear everything apart and do something like what you did........or just leave cold air at my side vents with dusty logging road and cold winter air invading.

I have to say that I like Vanistan's flap and flapper kit. Also had previously thought of adding a dust filter to the air intake - like all modern cars have. Just find some easily cut-able filter media???

Thanks Dave for steering me toward another project! My head hurts already. Nobody has ever accused me of having a stock - or remotely close to stock - van.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Box Option Reply with quote

gertiebob wrote:
djkeev wrote:
I modified my 86 to blow warm air out the side dash vents. ...

I have to say that I like Vanistan's flap and flapper kit. Also had previously thought of adding a dust filter to the air intake - like all modern cars have. Just find some easily cut-able filter media???

Thanks Dave for steering me toward another project! My head hurts already. Nobody has ever accused me of having a stock - or remotely close to stock - van.

Yeah, mine was about 2 years before his kit hit the market, at the time I modified mine it was an only dreamed about possibility.
If given any thought at all.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: