Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

campism wrote:
This one was posted a week ago to the Yahoo Vanagon list by a regular here, so I was surprised he did not post it here. Correcting that oversight...

https://www.vicnews.com/news/vehicle-fire-slows-evening-quadra-street-commute-in-saanich/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Way to go neighbours!!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Might need a lot of new wiring, but that is not the end of the world. Awesome to see it saved.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

If I spent more time in airports in the vicinity of telervisions I'd post more of these Car Fire, Not a Vanagon photos...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Thought I should post this here too, for posterity's sake...I loved this little van!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

leecat wrote:
Thought I should post this here too, for posterity's sake...I loved this little van!

Sorry for your loss.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Ouch, don’t remember that one, was there a thread on it?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

From the classifieds...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1937535

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Published on Jul 12, 2021
INCIDENT DATE/TIME: 7-12-21 2:02 pm
CITY: Chula Vista
DETAILS:

The female driver swerved into the #5 lane and side-swiped a truck being driven by a male. There were 3 other vehicles that were parked on the right shoulder. Two of them were there for the third vehicle which was disabled.

The females' car then hit all 3 of them. Just a few minutes before the accident, the mechanic was under the red Volkswagen van. There were no injuries, and traffic was backed up for approx 15 minutes, but kept moving.

Link

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Ugh! I hate to say it but this is a calendar quality photo composition. The way the smoke departs the conflagration to meld into the clouds is mesmerizing and the heat of the orange fire in the greyness of the image provides a terrific focal point to travel from.

I hope all lives were safe.

leecat wrote:

Abscate wrote:

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
The females' car then hit all 3 of them. Just a few minutes before the accident, the mechanic was under the red Volkswagen van.

….behold the dearth of ‘yikes’.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
From the classifieds...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1937535

The rare oak interior a selling point , Shirley
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Published on Jul 12, 2021
INCIDENT DATE/TIME: 7-12-21 2:02 pm
CITY: Chula Vista
DETAILS:

The female driver swerved into the #5 lane and side-swiped a truck being driven by a male. There were 3 other vehicles that were parked on the right shoulder. Two of them were there for the third vehicle which was disabled.

The females' car then hit all 3 of them. Just a few minutes before the accident, the mechanic was under the red Volkswagen van. There were no injuries, and traffic was backed up for approx 15 minutes, but kept moving.

Link

Yikes!!! That's a really sturdy little Saturn to do all that damage! Shocked
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Added for posterior

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757703
Chugach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Link
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

WOW that looks like it hurt..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

this is a painful video to watch.

glad everyone made it out ok..

NOW EVERYONE GO OUT AND GIVE YOUR FUEL LINES A VERY THOROUGH REVIEW

Link

khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

glad everyone made it out ok..

Even scarier LIVE! I've never looked at fuel lines the same way since then, that I can tell ya.

Folks are lucky they weren't on the road, and they got out safe, but a tragedy nonetheless Crying or Very sad
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Crisis averted today. This morning I thought I smelled gas when I walked back to the van after it had been warming up. Odd, walked around sniffing and couldn't find it again. Went to work and at one point during the day I smelled it again. Couldn't find the source. When leaving the job , a master bath tile job , I had the van loaded with the last of the demo from the previous bathroom. Stopped at the dump on the way home. Construction debris goes to a pile out back, its muddy as heck . Backed up and left it running. Proceeded to unload the van. At one point I was far enough from the van to see under it and noticed liquid hitting the ground. Wtf ? It's been raining and the van was already wet but that was an unusual spot for rain runoff. It was inside the rear driver wheel well area. Caught some on my hand and it was gas! Oh sh%$$! The vans on a slope backed downhill in 2 inches of the nastiest mud contaminated with just about whatever you can imagine. Quick assessment and I see a much more level spot with fresh gravel over by the burn piles, which weren't burning. I'm on it. I was thinking fuel pump, or lines to it, its in that area. Nope, leaking fuel filter. Super luck Napa in homer had one. They delivered it to me along with a couple hose clamps. Couldn't get the clamp loosened that holds the filter or the little crusted hose clamps on the fuel lines . Everything is covered in road grit. Had to cut the lines and install the new filter alongside the old one. Tackle that this weekend on my own terms. Why did they put the fuel filter there? At least it was only sleet coming down and a balmy 36 degrees. Could've been a really bad story, I'm a lucky man.Time for a cold one.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

More painful because they left the ignition key on.

A couple times they almost had it out but the fuel pump is spraying more and more gasoline the whole time.

If they just had the knowledge (or the cool heads or both) that the fuel pump can run when the key is on. And turns off when the key is off.

I think the fuel pump shuts off after a bit if the engine is not running (but key-on). It looks like the fuel pump came back on a few times and got the fire going again after each extinguisher event.

(I think?) I read somewhere that after the engine wire harness burns awhile, the fuel pump wire can short to the Alternator and get 12v direct from the battery. Which runs the fuel pump even with the key "off". Maybe the fuel pump ground wire needs a fusible (fire) link placed within the fire-zone.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Quote:
The females' car then hit all 3 of them

Wait, did three females own an abusive car?

Eats, shoots & leaves.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 41

Jump to: