Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

What does "gutting" the air filter mean?

Will have to give this a go.
So far I understood that
you need either a K&N RB - 0600 or K&N KA-8088
and cut the intake between the red lines like shown above

Me too I haven't understood this:

"That solution will work on smaller engines like yours, but will be restrictive on higher power stock carbed engines, because there is not sufficient room for imncoming air around the filter.
Remember to route the breather tube to the "engine" side of the filter."

Whats a smaller engine? In the process of planning an engine with more torque to spin the 27/8.5 r14

2074cc with
92mm thick walls
webcam 218/119 108°
AA 500
VS exhaust because I have it
and probably a 38mm carb further down the line
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

to follow up, I used the air cleaner with the k&n filter I bought and it seems to be fine on my 1641. now this winter I built myself a 1776 with a cb cheater cam and everything else stock. it works great , she rev's right up nicely. I never re routed the breather hose and when I looked ar the filter after over 1500 miles there was only a small amount of blackness right where the hose went in so that's a non issue. overall I like the setup. I did not cut the snout at all .
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

Here is how I upgraded my 1971 bus air cleaner. It is fairly simple and may go some way to solving the issue of lack of clearance around the filter with the K+N 0600 element.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751450&highlight=

Chris

PS: That small amount of blackness in one spot only may indicate that only that area of the filter is being used. One reason for this would be that the air is not able to move around the entire filter element. I don't know and it sounds like it runs well, but worth thinking about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

the black dot is inline with the oil breather hose. the air inlet is at another spot. ya runs great . I only did it because i ha an extra oil bath. the original 68 air cleaner in safe and sound in my parts area. Very Happy
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

So i almost forgot to answer my initial question. I started this post asking about building a 1776 engine but keeping everything else stock. Well thats exactly what i did . The only thing not stock is he cb cheater cam. My compression ratio is about 8:1. rebuilt german 34 pict 3 solex from volksbits , rebuilt german dist. with correct vaccum can for a 71 bus and 34 pict 3 carb and piersburg fuel pump from sparx. I can say that i am extremely happy on how it turned out . She has plenty of power and torque . I love it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

Very little. You just moved the power around. Put it on a dyno and you´ll see. BUT, if moving the power down by 3-400 rpm is what makes your day. That´s fine.
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

thanks dick Very Happy
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

fez68 wrote:
So i almost forgot to answer my initial question. I started this post asking about building a 1776 engine but keeping everything else stock. Well thats exactly what i did . The only thing not stock is he cb cheater cam. My compression ratio is about 8:1. rebuilt german 34 pict 3 solex from volksbits , rebuilt german dist. with correct vaccum can for a 71 bus and 34 pict 3 carb and piersburg fuel pump from sparx. I can say that i am extremely happy on how it turned out . She has plenty of power and torque . I love it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

looks good.
that is a good compromise engine IMO. works with heater boxes, looks stock, etc. not a blow your socks off kinda of engine but does help with ze hills.
I have the same engine but with an empi header and dual 36 dells. If you ever get bored of your engine throwing a header and carbs on there will wake up the mid range Smile. But buses are never boring anyhow, so sometimes a stockish setup is just the ticket.
ze ya
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

thanks! , ya, I just like the simplicity of the single carb and how it looks. dont get me wrong though I think about different exhaust and carb setups. on my 71 I had every exhaust you can get except for a stinger. I liked the stock one best.
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

still don't know what gut(ing) means
is it just cutting it open and taking it's guts out?
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

gutting in this sense means removing (cutting out )the metal that holds the horsehair filter material so that there is just 2 empty steel halves.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

A/C, fuel consumption
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

fez68 wrote:
Ok alstrup. I am gutting my spare oil bath air cleaner tonite. I found a universal K&n that will fit in there. once i confirm the size i will order. i will check back here with the part numbers and show some picts of the build. thanks for everyones input. it was a beautiful day today . i cruised the bus to work, had a great time why don"t more cars have vent wings????

Ohh, You DID gut your air cleaner. Good. Then you just need to gut the muffler and youre in business Very Happy
mcmark2332
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: super crazy 1968 westy high performance engine Reply with quote

There is a thread here abouts talking about the biggest bang for the buck in a 1600.
The version I copied was dual HPMX 40's, I got for $100. A light flywheel. 1.4 rockers and a header with good muffler. Ended up with new heads and went 2mm bigger on the intakes.
I was blown away with how big a difference it made.
The car went from a slug to almost scary as it would go well over 80mph and still pulling. I needed to work on the distributor/HEI to get the advance to come in earlier.
Unfortunately the car was wrecked and I didn't need another project.
I miss it everyday.

‘73 Super wrecked
‘68 Drag Bug on holiday
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: