Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

03 Eurovan horn
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plforsyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: 03 Eurovan horn Reply with quote

Dear Eurovan fans,

My 03 Eurovan horn is on the blink. I’m not ruling out a Clockspring but trying for a less expensive solution. I had an anemic horn a year ago when I bought the van. Sometime at the end of Winter it died. When I press the upper right corner of the horn pad it click like it’s connecting. I replaced the relay and when I press the horn pad I can feel it clicking at the new relay? Is this something further down stream, like the harness or horn it self? Any wisdom would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Paul F.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 03 Eurovan horn Reply with quote

The horns themselves are in the front right wheel well and are thus subject to abuse from debris, salt/sand and road spray. If you investigate the horns themselves, you'll probably find them to be a bit crusty.

The stock horn system is of the 2 tone variety - 2 horns, 1 producing a low frequency tone, 1 producing a high frequency tone (relative, of course). I mention this because you said the horn sounded anemic - this indicates that only one of the two horns was working at that time.

The horns themselves are relatively inexpensive ($15-20 for the pair) and readily available (recommend Hella 011225851 kit). The swap is pretty straight forward.

To troubleshoot, I'd recommend the following:
1) Pull existing horns and bench test with a 12v source
2) confirm 12v at the wiring harness connected to the horns (requires a multimeter or test light and a helper to press the horn pad)

Assuming 1) tests negative and 2) tests positive - new horns are in your future.

If 1) tests positive and 2) tests negative, corrosion may have made its way into the wiring harness. I'd start your investigation at the horn end of the harness and work back looking for corrosion/damage to the harness. Otherwise, you'll need a wiring diagram to trace the problem through the rest of the harness.
plforsyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 Eurovan horn Reply with quote

Hello gessoffen,
Thank you for your help. I removed both horns and bottom one was trashed. Top one looked fairly good. I tried testing it by running a wire from both battery terminals and the prongs on the horn and got nothing. So it seems like both horns are trashed? Still trying to check power to wiring harness. Funny thing is when the horn pad is pressed the relay “ clicks” like power is getting to it.

Thanks,
Paul F
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: