Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 Jetta Overflow tank? Not on all models?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedakotakid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: 1984 Jetta Overflow tank? Not on all models? Reply with quote

As the header states, just bought a 1984 VW Jetta, 1.7 Liter. Car runs great, doesn't overheat. There's no overflow tank. Is it missing or wasn't one always installed?
vwjunkie3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Jetta Overflow tank? Not on all models? Reply with quote

If the radiator has a cap on it, it came that way. I have a 83 Jetta that is the same way.

Some earlier Sciroccos are the same also. Had a few Rabbits too.
thedakotakid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Jetta Overflow tank? Not on all models? Reply with quote

vwjunkie3 wrote:
If the radiator has a cap on it, it came that way. I have a 83 Jetta that is the same way.

Some earlier Sciroccos are the same also. Had a few Rabbits too.

Thank you! It seemed a bit odd, but so long as it works Smile
vwjunkie3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Jetta Overflow tank? Not on all models? Reply with quote

You are very welcome!

Glad I could help.
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Jetta Overflow tank? Not on all models? Reply with quote

1984 was a long time ago, although it seems like the present thanks to corporate owned politicians.
Someone may have done a reservoir delete and put in a radiator with a cap.
My 81 scirocco has a valeo radiator with a cap (no overflow hose), but also has the reservoir.
The reservoir holds coolant but the overflow nipple was capped.
My radiator uses the same cap as the reservoir, I don't know about yours,
So I got a radiator cap 025121321B , popped the pressure valve out of it so it would flow freely, and put it on the radiator.
Then ran 5/16" (I think it was) heater hose from it to reservoir.
The purpose of the overflow hose is to keep air from building up in the radiator, reducing cooling capacity.
Maybe you don't need that extra cooling capacity, but mine did (at 75+mph). Electric cooling fan comes on much less often now too.
Only downside is it takes a little longer to heat up, mines got a 1.6D swapped into it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: