Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacing voltage regulator
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

how do you replace the internal voltage regulator on a vw bosch alternator. I can see it, do you need a puller to get to it?

Mike
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

Its held in by a couple of screws.... Think it is accessed from fan end...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

how did you remove the plate is it pressed in, do i need a puller? I am going to try to get it out tomorrow.

Thanks for reply, Mike
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

Think its held in/on by screws...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

oh, I thought you ment the voltage rgular. That would be great , we will find out tomorrow.

thanks, Mike
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

I got the regulator out, I used an impact driver for the two screws so not to strip them, they were tight.

A puller would be the right way to get the plate off without possible damage, I didn't have one, so I used a vise, a flat bar, and a hammer.

thanks for the help, Mike
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

Last time I did a maintenance in my alternator I've found this very easy-to-install style of brush contact with built-in voltage regulator.

It doesn't require any dis-assemblage, except the 3 screws that holds the brush contacts.

Deactivate the old voltage regulator by disconnecting it's wires through the opened "window", install the new unity, and that's it

Cheap, not the same quality of the original Bosch but easy to carry a spare, just in case. Mine is working fine till now.

mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

that would be easy, do you have a part number?

Mike
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

mikething wrote:
that would be easy, do you have a part number?
Mike

The part number of this particular one is GA999, but it came from a Brazilian industry (I live in Rio). I don't know if they export to the USA, probably yes because they have a web page in the English language. More information here

There are other manufacturers making a similar part like IK5999 (Ikro) and ZLG-8000 (ZLG).
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

Here's the one I ordered a couple of years ago, but haven't used yet: http://store.alternatorparts.com/ib003---voltage-regulator.aspx

It's the same deal as the Brazilian one above, but without the nice heat sink.

Assuming it works OK, makes changing regulators super-easy on the AL82 (or clone) alternators.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Here's the one I ordered a couple of years ago, but haven't used yet: http://store.alternatorparts.com/ib003---voltage-regulator.aspx

It's the same deal as the Brazilian one above, but without the nice heat sink.

Assuming it works OK, makes changing regulators super-easy on the AL82 (or clone) alternators.

Yes, it's OK. I shot a video when I was installing. The only thing I noticed is the need of a slightly stronger blip on the accelerator at the start-up to turn the idiot light off. I dunno about durability, I bet it will not last 30+ years like the original Bosch.

If also the alternator bearings are worn, I think the best strategy would be the installation of a new Bosch VR - as per manual - and carry a unit like this as a spare, since it's very easy to install.
If the bearings are good, I see no reason for all the hassle and time to take the alternator apart.

But I didn't do the first option because vendors were asking four times the price for one Bosch VR - I don't think it's worth it. For half the money, I bought two and got two brushes for free. Time will tell if it is a good strategy... since I'll be lucky if I'll live 30+ years to check... Smile

Link
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

thank you for all the part numbers and web site

Mike
Heathintexas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to find a European supplier?

All i have been able to manage is US, Brazil, and Alibaba
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

Surprised not much ppl have jumped on this to get some more feedback but I'm looking to upgrade my internal regulator as I want to install an amplifier. Although mine works good the charging V is 13.4V which is a little on the low side for my liking.

I saw the option of modifying the plastic terminal housing to include the DF terminal and use an external regulator but the one with the built in regulator/brushes seems much more practical....literally bolt out bolt in.

Only US supplier i found was aircooled.net but John speaks about them being specific to the type of Al82n you have and make sure to but the correct one.

Can anyone confirm if the one from aircooled.net or similar with the regulator&brushes in one be used in place of the one with just the brushes alone?

65 rhd Beetle
72 rhd kombi
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

balljoint wrote:

Can anyone confirm if the one from aircooled.net or similar with the regulator&brushes in one be used in place of the one with just the brushes alone?

I don't know if I understood the question correctly, but the part I mentioned in a previous message (similar to the one from aircooled.net) , replaces these two in the alternator that has them:

balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing voltage regulator Reply with quote

Yea. Wanted to confirm if the one aircooled.net sells is the same as the unit you used, as they say it would not work. Found it strange that they don't know it could be interchanged between the 2 types of AL82N.

The gauss unit you have looks the best out of all i have seen so far, how is it holding up?
I tried to get one in the US but was impossible! Seems like a brazil only product.

65 rhd Beetle
72 rhd kombi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: