Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

Mm, these are different type of baffles. They do make sense though. Maybe i ll add these as well.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

Purpose of the grille baffles is less clear - may reduce some wind noise.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

the link that Vanis13 shared is not working, I have previously copied his files so here is my dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jverdl3rbitnzuj/AAAizIU2DUijFPBIINtWf7mHa?dl=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Prairie Maus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Parts for rad baffle install Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
I have the GoWesty kit sitting in my garage for over a year waiting for me to pull the grilles. Does anybody have recommendations or a parts list that includes all the hardware needed? I'm still trying to figure out why hardware is not included in this kit.

All you need is two plastic panel clips - Single head.

something like this
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dorman-help-int...#store=248

a couple screws and washers with the flat 'screw retainers' ?

these.. but metric version, unless you match SAE screws to the SAE clips..
https://www.lowes.ca/product/spring-nuts/hillman-1...lsrc=aw.ds

Mike and Maus
AllRad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have installed the GoWesty baffles. There are two side panels and a bottom one. They close off airflow all around the radiator. At the time, this seemed a little odd, because I figured the radiator heated air needs some egress. Otherwise the hot air can only mix turbulently with incoming fresh air. Anyways, I followed the instructions. I noticed no change to my temp gauge readings.

I decided to remove the bottom baffle to see what would happen. Again, no change.

Recently, I temporarily removed the spare tire and clamshell to see if the giant opening under the vehicle would help the heated air exit the system. But again, I see no change to my temp gauge readings.

I guess I'm just confused, what should happen with the addition of these baffles? My Vanagon came with no baffles, because the prior owner removed them. I'm not sure if the sock arrangement even has a bottom baffle...

Other baffling thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

Your temp gauge is in your engine compartment. It has to do with the circulation of coolant and temps in that area. It is funny how something as simple as a thermostat can fool you.. It works to even out the temp, sending coolant to the Rad when it needs to cool some. Hence, unless your engine gets quite warm, and sends all coolant (well, since plumbing doesn't actually work that way it never can send ALL) to the Rad, you may see little difference in the needle. Even so, with full flow of coolant to the Rad, you may still not notice a difference... Until the last moment before it is overwhelmed, and you overheat.

Don't play that game. Your odds are poor.

Baffles are there for the last little bit of saving grace. Keep them all in place if possible.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

This past year I had the opportunity to purchase some new baffles made from stainless steel. They are nifty and will give a future owner many many years of reliable service.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

I don't have any on my 90.

Replacing the Condensor with a non OEM unit alters the fit dramatically.

On my 86 I modified after market ones to fit.

On this unit I said "screw it" and didn't bother.
No running hot/air flow issues on the highway or in traffic thus far.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

I use expired Coroplast fluted polypropylene political signs.

They work great, are lightweight & easy to cut/form, and make me feel good about recycling.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

The baffles around the radiator make a significant difference in the ability of the radiator to shed heat. A LOT of airflow will bypass the radiator if they are not in place. That's just another one of those things that doesn't matter until it does, and then you are dealing with a disaster.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: