Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macflash34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

Hi I'm wondering where I can get a thermostat for a 70 vw bug I'm restoring. All the pieces to the shroud are there wheni look under the engine I do not see the thermostat or mounting bracket or the rod that connects to it? I need help and advice on how to continue this project
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

Check the free classified, there are some listed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

You can also contact Awsome powder coat. They sell new and used thermostats.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

Not to pop your bubble but u may have to remove engine for proper installation. It is not that difficult to do when the engine is out.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

Welll..., that depends if there's a rod hanging down still, if it's gone then the shroud has to come off, and that's where it goes from minutes to many hours.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Welll..., that depends if there's a rod hanging down still, if it's gone then the shroud has to come off, and that's where it goes from minutes to many hours.

No rod...
Macflash34 wrote:
I do not see the thermostat or mounting bracket or the rod that connects to it?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

if theres no rod theres also a good chance that someone removed the flaps from inside the fan housing ...people used to think that would give them better cooling...reach behind the fan shroud and see if the crossbar connecting the flaps is still there
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:

This. Aircooled.net sells the Awesome Powdercoat brand new thermostats. I bought a used on off the classifieds, with the rod and flaps, and the used stat failed quickly. Many of the original ones out there are not in good shape. The new one I got worked great, though it was not cheap.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

I bought a nice working used thermostat, flaps, bracket, spring, rod and hardware - all here on The Samba Classifieds for about $100 US. It was through 2 different vendors - one shipped free. To me, that was really inexpensive for what I got.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

You can remove the deck lid, air cleaner, carburetor, ignition coil & wiring, generator retaining strap, generator wiring, and the screws holding the fan shroud in place and pull the whole fan shroud out with the generator. I've had to do this a few times, no picnic but still easier than removing the whole engine

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Getting everything aligned with the thermostat rod to slide down between the fins in the passenger side cylinder head when reinstalling the fan shroud is a real bitch though, pretty much takes 2 people.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
but still easier than removing the whole engine

That's your opinion... mine is different.

I can remove a stock engine in 20 minutes by myself. Reinstall takes 30 minutes.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
sb001 wrote:

I can remove a stock engine in 20 minutes by myself. Reinstall takes 30 minutes.

Shouldn't be too difficult to post a youtube video of that, let's see it. One take, no editing. And without damaging anything.

1600 SP engine
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Shouldn't be too difficult to post a youtube video of that, let's see it. One take, no editing. And without damaging anything.

Sure PAY ME.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

I’ve pulled a shroud w/o pulling the motor to install flaps/ control arm/ spring and rod and many miles later had the opportunity to pull the engine and would strongly advise just pulling the shroud. Best wishes on the job!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

To the OP- there is also a cable your year model would have had, that goes from an arm on the passenger side fan shroud flap, up to the flap in the snorkel of the air cleaner. As the thermostat expands and pushes the fan shroud flaps open and the passenger side flap pivots, it pushes the cable which in turn pushes open the flap inside the air cleaner snorkel.
Here is a previous post that describes it in more detail

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9333146#9333146

1600 SP engine
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
Michael Ambrozik wrote:

This. Aircooled.net sells the Awesome Powdercoat brand new thermostats. I bought a used on off the classifieds, with the rod and flaps, and the used stat failed quickly. Many of the original ones out there are not in good shape. The new one I got worked great, though it was not cheap.

I’ve had the opposite experience with the new AP stats. I bought a brand new t-stat and refurbished flaps from AP and the new stat was DOA, fully expanded in the box. I was sent a replacement, after arguing over his warranty, and it still sits on the shelf. I’ve installed three thermostat systems on my VW’s and all of them are running used stats that are working great. I have another complete system on the shelf for the next car and it sure as heck won’t have an AP stat on it.

Those new ones definitely “look” the part, but I’m very wary of the excess alcohol in them. You can shake a VW stat and not feel anywhere near the amount in those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
sb001 wrote:

The first time I pull an engine on a "new to me" bug, it may take me 30 minutes. After that 20 minutes is no problem. I've never damaged anything.

I've also pulled the shroud many times with the engine in the car. It's easy. The biggest trick to know is - install the deck lid spring before you bolt the hinges in when finishing up (you'll need a helper).

If you have jacks and stands I'd just pull the engine.
Cornwallav8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

I literally just went through this. Removing the engine is so easy, compared to leaning over the engine bay trying to remove individual parts. Just pull the engine, then you can work at your leisure, and not bitch when things aren't reachable or you can't see to install/remove parts. Like stated, you need to know the flaps and linkage are there and operating, it's all easier with the engine at working level. I installed a Mexican type, they look indestructible. There are Utube vids showing how to solder the old style and make it work again, if you can find a used one. New ones are around but very costly.
It seems people like to eliminate the thermostat and half or more of the tins, then are the same ones that complain their engine only makes 20,000 miles before overhaul. German engineers aren't stupid. They didn't put a single part on the car that wasn't needed.
I swore when I lived in Germany, that the average garbage man or truck driver was more intelligent than the average American professional. Another topic altogether.
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat on a 1970 vw bug Reply with quote

Cornwallav8r wrote:
I literally just went through this. Removing the engine is so easy, compared to leaning over the engine bay trying to remove individual parts. Just pull the engine, then you can work at your leisure, and not bitch when things aren't reachable or you can't see to install/remove parts. Like stated, you need to know the flaps and linkage are there and operating, it's all easier with the engine at working level. I installed a Mexican type, they look indestructible. There are Utube vids showing how to solder the old style and make it work again, if you can find a used one. New ones are around but very costly.
It seems people like to eliminate the thermostat and half or more of the tins, then are the same ones that complain their engine only makes 20,000 miles before overhaul. German engineers aren't stupid. They didn't put a single part on the car that wasn't needed.
I swore when I lived in Germany, that the average garbage man or truck driver was more intelligent than the average American professional. Another topic altogether.

German engineers were smart enough that they engineered a t-stat that failed in the open position. Mexican t-stats fail in the closed position. Beware.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: