Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering a Bay FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

cooper363 wrote:
xcoldgrimjimx wrote:
I could probably machine you up a pair Like a sleeve type thing it would fit over the e break aluminum part and slide into the baking plate . I have a mazak lathe and a Bridgeport Manuel mill should be able to make them in about 3 days out of t6 aluminum.... and to everyone else WHY IS THIS THREAD SO DEAD!? geez wiz! Let’s see some slammed rides!!! I thought with all this stimulus money going around and everyone having some extra time on their hands I thought I would see a lot more bad ass bay’s coming out the lowering kitchen !!!! ps I now it’s really expensive to lower a bay the right way Sad so I know that probably has a lot to do with it ... family , food , water & a roof over head comes first ! But can we see some inspirational pics!? ....please??? Very Happy

I use this thread for info, I have spent so much time reading but never posted anything so here is my 68 Deluxe, no tubs, no air ride
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NICE MAN !! Give us some rim and tire specks when you can please
cooper363
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Stock 14's with 165/55 up front and 185/60 in the rear.

CalLookVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

after much deliberation I finally decided to make up some spacers between the backing plate and the cable sheathing/conduit. I cut off the old end, cut it down and drilled out the center as low as i could go to make room for the end to fit in. Ended up with about a 3/4" spacing. I thought I had more pics of the spacer but I guess not. I also slotted the spacer to be able to slide the cable in. Not really necessary if you were to put the spacer in before installing the cable up to the front. I ended up having to lengthen the cable as well. I found some cable clamps at the local hardware store and so far it all seems to work out fine!

I also found another trick to getting the wheel back on a lowered bus!

'67 Squareback
'68 Sunroof beetle - 1st bug, bought back
'70 Bay window deluxe
'71 Bay window
-----------------------------------
'14 Jetta SE 1.8T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Looking for pics of front tire(s) on a 4.5 or 5” x 15 rim. Open to anything but would like to get a visual with pics. Also maybe your thoughts on load rating on what your rolling. TIA
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Fitting adjusters Reply with quote

Morning
Currently prepping a spare beam for my 69 bay which I am wanting to lower by 40 mm for adjusters and I am can remember seeing a post which I cant find where they fitted the top tube adjuster to the front of the beam (180 out) rather then to the original postion at the back thus avoiding fouling up with the gear change tube.This would mean redrilling the location dimples either on the cente of the torsion leaves or the two outer trailing arm leave dimples on the oppisite sides, anyone done this or any thoughts please
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68 Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

keeping it simple narrowed airbeam, flipped spindles, tubbed 3 inch on 17s BRMs Cool seeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

^^^ ......Looks awesome Cool
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone running deep 6 inch 901 Fuchs in the rear of a 68-70 bay? I have 4.5 inch plates but still not enough space between my tire sidewall and the wheel well. I have 944 brakes in the rear. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

put on 2.5 dropped spindles pulled 4 bars on front. 3.25 drop plates.
what is the trick to get the rear wheels on and off. ? I had to flatten
the tire and left the drum off even then it was tight. too lazy to go
though all 200+ pages . Shocked is there a trick ? thanks
Steve. Very Happy

66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
pulled 4 bars on front.
Yikes.... Shocked
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

panel wrote:
sgmalt46 wrote:
pulled 4 bars on front.
Yikes.... Shocked

My thought, too.

sgmalt46, if you promise to put those leaves back in the front beam, we'll tell you how to install your rear tires. Pulling leaves is dangerous and shitty. Don't do that.
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm working on installing a 4" narrowed adjustable beam in my 72 bus but the beam I got did not have a bracket for the brake servo. I now have a bracket and was planning to weld it to the beam but it appears the steering arm will make contact with the servo when turning right.

Anyone run into this matter before and have any insight?
Ebo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I already wrote about this topic approx 2 years ago. But I still see recommendations to cut-off the bump-stops (front beam with adjusters).
In my eyes this doesnˋt make sense at all (for both, with or without dropped-spindles). Because right after passing the (possible cut of bump-stop) the ball joint will be at the end. In my eyes the engineers back then did a great job in exactly figuring out where the latest block (metal on metal if the rubber on the bump stop is missing) should be just right before the ball joints will be at the end of their possible travel. So for me in ANY CASE it would be the best to keep the bump-stop-arms without rubber as an emergency stop to protect the ball joints. Cutting them won`t give any more way/travel/depth.
Any comments or opinions on this? Am i wrong?

Ebo wrote:

…..
In the meanwhile i did some further test by my own. I „cleared“ the bumps-stops a bit, so that the beam could go some milimeters lower. This is enough to bottom out the ball-joints.
So my conclusion is: Removing the bump-stop-arms won`t give you any more travel. If the beam hits the bumpstop (metal on metal, not rubber!) it is just some milimeters before the ball-joint-travel is at an end.

So far my thoughts.

Cheers
slimesub5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:

Steve. Very Happy

Any tips?
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

slimesub5 wrote:
sgmalt46 wrote:

Steve. Very Happy

Any tips?

When you get to a certain point and have a certain wheel/ tire combo you definitely have to deflate the tire. On my bus, I also notched the bottom of the spring plates to assure they were traveling down as far as possible to give the most clearance to take the wheel off. But I still have to deflate my tire. The price you pay for being low. With my 17’s I don’t have to deflate at all. Here’s a an older oic I found.
Flozwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hello!

After study all 233 pages to learn everything about lowering my Bay.

Here the result... I´m so in love with my bus. Many thanks to all for the informations that i got in this topic.

Front:

4 inch narrowed/adjustable front beam and drop spindles

165/50-15

6 x 15 ET52.3

Adapters 20mm

Back:

One outerspline

Adjustable Springplates

195/65-15

6 x 15 ET52.3

Adapters 25mm

Thanks to Siggis Aircooled Parts

Many greetz from Germany Osnabrück...

Florian
Sash_Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

16 years ago this thread started. Its a thread I read every letter of when I was getting into Bays. I love going back and reading the first 10-20 pages. The down right anger that was politely displayed is comical. I love when they say "it's a fad" or "it dangerous". Well, per the usual...want drives innovation. Happy trails ya'll. Hope the sparks fly and the wheel bearing whine!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I was a hater forever (maybe not in this thread but I’m sure I hated on lowered buses somewhere on thesamba). Then I got tired of the same ol same ol and decided to lower a bus (in this thread towards the last few pages). I may never own a stock height bus again. Love my lowered bus and it may be time to go lower. Drives just like every stock bus I’ve owned (40+) with the occasional bottom out but so what! Cruises at 85 on highway no problem. One handed driving in the wind.

Question on going lower. I currently have the 4” slambay special. Running 15” wheels. It’s nice but Ive always wanted to run 17” Wheels. If I lower the front more and tub it for 17’s, what needs to be done in the back? Not sure I’m ready for engine and tranny raises but maybe I’m open to it. Looking to change my bus up!

vwbrian83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Some pics of my 68 on 17s with 3" tubs. Wagenswest slam bay special. 3.5" dropped spindles- 1" beam raise. Rear horseshoe plates and adjustable torsion plates- notched frame for axles

busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Nice. Thanks for the information. Does anyone sell pre made tubs?

And, does anyone make adjustable rear spring plates for bay buses? I know wagenswest does but they always seem to be unavailable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 233 of 235

Jump to: