Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

Waiting for delivery of the unit. It has a wired outside temp probe with a disk the size of a dime at the end. Plan to mount the display on the center plastic panel in front of the gear shift. Any ideas how to route the probe wire to a weather-protected external location?

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

Lots of views but no suggestions yet. Think I’ll look at the area where the auto transmission shifter goes thru the floor as a possibility…

UPDATE: No joy at this location. Going to try the rubber grommets for the heater hoses in front of the shifter.

Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

I would follow the radio antenna wire and mount somewhere in the front grille area. No one is going to give you exact directions. You'll need to do some investigation and work yourself. Pull the ashtray and instrument cover and you can feed the wiring through.

Also a link or picture of the unit would help. Let us know what you end up doing!
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

For what it's worth, VW mounted the external ambient air temp probe behind the front bumper of 85-92 Golfs and Jettas that were equipped with the option.

As far as wire routing from the cabin to the exterior, I find this is an art that is always dependent on where the end-goal of mounting is. As I've grown in experience with it I've gotten comfortable drilling holes and putting in a Harbor Freight rubber grommet where the wire passes through.

The factory harness through-locations aren't very usable as the wire is bunched up in a loom at those locations and you can't easily "tap in" to what is going on there.

-Rob
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

It depends on how you mount the gauge. There's plenty of room in the rubber plug for the heater hoses for wiring, either cut a small hole or just run it next to one of the hoses.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

Somebody recently mounted their temp probe inside the driver's door on top of the hinge. It seems like a novel place to put one.

I think it's in here somewhere:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752113&highlight=mount++probe++thermostat

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

I am a really big fan of this type of gauge.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1SP6TL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put one remote in my fridge, the other is in a bag and zip tied to a frame member under the bus. You imagination is the limit and you can move the receiving unit anywhere in the bus you want it to be at the time.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I am a really big fan of this type of gauge.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1SP6TL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, but overkill for my needs. Cool

Tornado Red
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Waiting for delivery of the unit. It has a wired outside temp probe with a disk the size of a quarter at the end. Plan to mount the display on the center plastic panel in front of the gear shift. Any ideas how to route the probe wire to a weather-protected external location?

It was covered pretty extensively here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752113
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing indoor/outdoor thermometer Reply with quote

Nuthin2It wrote:
It depends on how you mount the gauge. There's plenty of room in the rubber plug for the heater hoses for wiring, either cut a small hole or just run it next to one of the hoses.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, I made a small slit in the rubber grommet where your gray “phone wire” passes thru (see photo) and was able to push the ambient sensor thru. I secured the sensor’s wire underneath to keep it clear of the radiator fan, and mounted the sensor itself on the side of the washer fluid tank on the driver’s side. Thanks for the help!

Tornado Red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: