Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 bug, pop out window rebuild. Need rivets
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockmans56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: 56 bug, pop out window rebuild. Need rivets Reply with quote

I have a 56 bug and need to find the 2 rivets that holds latch to window frame. Where do I find them? Anybody knows the dimensions? Please help thanks
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 56 bug, pop out window rebuild. Need rivets Reply with quote

Have you done a search? I did found 3 threads in regards to rivets.
All of you Newbies need to learn how to search...and stop asking for immediate gratification
Just saying.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 56 bug, pop out window rebuild. Need rivets Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Have you done a search? I did found 3 threads in regards to rivets.
All of you Newbies need to learn how to search...and stop asking for immediate gratification
Just saying.
Thomas

I'm pretty sure we can find every answer we need somewhere here on The Samba on how to fix our VW's,
maybe Everette should just lock up the whole site except for the Off Topic forum & The Classifieds.
Relax on the new people everyone here was a newbie at some time, ever look back at some of your first posts I'm sure you asked questions that were asked 10x over also. I know I sure did.

Anyway welcome to the Samba Rockmans56, Edit: posted wrong part.
Here are 2 good sources for parts for your 56.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=64&sort=odate
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/index.cfm
If you still can’t find what your looking for contact Ricardo.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=62280

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023

Last edited by 56Cabrio on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:50 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 bug, pop out window rebuild. Need rivets Reply with quote

It's ok to tell people the info can be found via searching but only if that is true. Smile
Take the chance to tell them what you searched to find the information and include a result with the answer.

For instance I did a title-only search in this section on rivet.
(Search box at the top of the overall Forum section)
Several threads came up but really only one thread that looked promising:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215264

It does NOT have the answer.

Thank you to 56Cabrio for posting a source but those appear to be for the vent wings
There were various other threads related to vent wings too so maybe there is some confusion above
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 bug, pop out window rebuild. Need rivets Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The OP I believe is looking for rivets for pop outs like in the photo above. The info provided earlier is for vent windows. Not sure they are the same?
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 bug, pop out window rebuild. Need rivets Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Thank you to 56Cabrio for posting a source but those appear to be for the vent wings

Your completely right, Thank you. I was thinking lock when he was asking about a latch. I’m going to edit my post so he doesn’t get confused and maybe buys the wrong part.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 56 bug, pop out window rebuild. Need rivets Reply with quote

Since we have a topic started about pop outs and rivets--

Does anyone know what / why / when the rivets in question were made to go through the outer part of the frame?
I've rebuilt a few sets of early bug popouts and the most recent set I think is the only set I've had that were the blindex/ Made in Brazil, these have the rivets at the latch end visible from the outside.
Seems like the German made / Sekurit version doesn't?
Asking mostly because the ones I have now were a total bitch to replace the seals in and they don't seem to fit as easily as I remember.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 bug, pop out window rebuild. Need rivets Reply with quote

If rivets cannot be found, could follow what "flyertim" did. He has a series of photos in the oval gallery (and a thread in the forum) on how he installed and photos below looks like he used screws rather than rivets

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: