Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Nice work man. This is going to be exciting to see it come together.

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Thank you!

aaronr25 wrote:
Nice work man. This is going to be exciting to see it come together.

1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Thanks all for the encouraging words both posted and DM'd!

Wrapped up all the pan welding and seaming and laid on a couple coats of PPG dark red over a black primer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seemed to cover nicely and as usual used more paint than I predicted. Upside is I had bought extra, downside is I'll need another quart to paint the engine shrouds.

Tires should be here late this week, so this means reassembly can get started. Always my favorite part. Still undecided on air management for the bags, though.
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

the chassis looks amazing!!!!! also, is that a custom mid mount you made? thats genius welding it how you did. it keeps the transaxle from lifting AND strengthens the frame horns. job well done!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

That's an RLR 1" trans raise. It is pretty slick!

Chickensoup wrote:
the chassis looks amazing!!!!! also, is that a custom mid mount you made? thats genius welding it how you did. it keeps the transaxle from lifting AND strengthens the frame horns. job well done!

1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

First mockup of the front end and first time it's been on it's own wheels in over a year! This is full compression (as if it had engine and body on it). Still some issues, bag is distorting in the front (pivot not centered) and rear torsions need to be indexed to match, but I'm liking the direction.

1961 Patina Bug

Last edited by AirKooledGarage on Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Nice work and nice bay window you have in the background Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Thanks!

Dibaltic wrote:
Nice work and nice bay window you have in the background Very Happy

1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Pan nearly completed. Best pan gasket install I've done to date as well.

Did the tie rod flip (to avoid bump steer), kind of sketchy on the results. Wheel droop when jacked up puts the long side of the tie rod on the tunnel (and jacked my paint). Front air bag will need spacer as well (not enough lift). Experimented with flipping front calipers, but not liking the results. Lines are definitely too long (and need to be braided stainless). Once I'm sorted on bag length, I'll pull the beam and paint it.

Body laid on nicely and love the red pan! Primer will likely get sanded off and allowed to rust before it's cleared. Pie cut on tunnel seems to have worked as tires are clearing headlight buckets. Hood fit is really bad. Not sure if it came that way or not (not original hood and plenty of indication it was crunched in the front). Hammers may be invoked to fix that one.

Lots of details to sort now. Next big move will be grinding out trans for larger flywheel and bolting up the turbo engine I built over the winter.
1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Mockup continues. Suspension is sorted, car is less than an inch off the ground with bags deflated. That should give me a chance to survive if something fails. Added some more "patina" and tested out a front seat.

Grinding trans and mocking up motor next weekend!

I can almost taste it!

1961 Patina Bug
pittbull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Amazing project, love the progress you doing.
Keep it going!
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

What are the specs on the turbo? At a glance it looks rather large for a little 1600 with stock heads.

On the turbo header, what are the primary tube sizes?

What are you doing for fuel supply to that carb?

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Hey John, it’s fun when smart guys chime in!

I’ll have to dig up specs on the turbo, you are correct in that it’s too big for a 1600.

Header is 1.5” and fuel is in-line pump with a regulator at the firewall.

This engine is as much forced induction experiment as it is bombastic styling exercise. I suspect I’ll eventually wrap everything I’ve learned and built around a much larger long block. Carb being the exception as it isn’t likely to flow much more than a stocker.
1961 Patina Bug
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

If you want some actual boost, change to a smaller turbo like a Garret style T25 or a KKK K03 (Chinese copies from Amazon or FleaBay are fine for mild power boost).

The 1-1/2" primary tubes will work but 1-3/8" would work better for faster spool.

Spend the $200 for a CB Performance Black Box to run the ignition curve. Having a FULL ignition curve off boost makes the engine behave so much better in traffic and just driving around. Worth every penny.

I'm not sure on the jetting and tune-up for the carb but a wideband A/F gauge will point you in the right direction for tuning.

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Good stuff, appreciate the help. Wideband bung is already welded in!

Lo Cash John wrote:
If you want some actual boost, change to a smaller turbo like a Garret style T25 or a KKK K03 (Chinese copies from Amazon or FleaBay are fine for mild power boost).

The 1-1/2" primary tubes will work but 1-3/8" would work better for faster spool.

Spend the $200 for a CB Performance Black Box to run the ignition curve. Having a FULL ignition curve off boost makes the engine behave so much better in traffic and just driving around. Worth every penny.

I'm not sure on the jetting and tune-up for the carb but a wideband A/F gauge will point you in the right direction for tuning.

1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Took a ridiculous amount of material out of the trans to make the 200mm flywheel fit, but finally got the motor mounted. This was more for mockup than anything else, needed to set rear suspension (want it 1" off ground with bags empty).

Sorting final wiring and some sort of magical throttle cable next. Love the stance, though.

Can't decide what color to do the firewall. Was thinking of leaving it patina and doing tins red, but thinking firewall might look cool red with black or gray tins.

Thoughts?

1961 Patina Bug
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't decide what color to do the firewall. Was thinking of leaving it patina and doing tins red, but thinking firewall might look cool red with black or gray tins.
Red firewall would be a very different look, especially since you won't have any room for even a cut-down engine lid.

Another color idea you could consider would be to paint the wheelwells a different color, such as staying with the red theme. Light-colored wheelwells was something you'd sometimes see on American hotrodded cars in the 1960's, especially those which had a "gasser" hotrod look where at least the front suspension was lifted. There's a photo in one of the vintage/period photo threads on tS which has a 1960's beetle like that behind the African-American young couple. Since your car is lowered, you could wire up a few low-output LED lights in the wheelwell so that when it's dark, you could turn on the lights and show the red wheelwells while driving. Smile
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Would leave it as is, looking very cool right now!
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

The firewall color needs to match the wheels. That would looks SWEET!!

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bug Rescue and Patina Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
The firewall color needs to match the wheels. That would looks SWEET!!

I'm with LCJ.

You have tremendous skill. Keep it up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: