Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Man, I'm so disappointed I couldn't attend. We are in Georgia visiting family. The only weekend all summer that I'm unavailable. Glad to see you made it though. Did you take the Ghia to the Wolfgart show?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

No, didn’t take my Ghia although it would have been a beautiful drive for that car. Instead I took my Quattro....

Can you guess what one is mine?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Can you guess what one is mine?

Give us a clue...what colour is it? Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Finally giving my Ghia some use! I've been enjoying it a lot lately. Lots of drives out to the lakes and evening cruises out to the restaurants. The car is running great and feels very tight and rattle free. I'm impressed at how little turbulence there is driving at speed with the top down.
Question- my top is original and fits great, the hinges all work very smoothly. If I lower and then put right back up, it latches easily. If I lower it and leave it down for more than a few days it is very hard to get the latches to reach the notches they hook into. Is there an adjustment or something I can do to make this easier? The top when closed feels great- not shrunken or too tight.

Andrew-

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Hopper Ghia!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

Hopper Ghia!

I don't understand the reference. Am I missing something?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Hopper Ghia!

Famous New York painter of the night (and other solitude):

It looks like you are on the same street!
In front of the same building!
At the same time of night!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Finally giving my Ghia some use! I've been enjoying it a lot lately. Lots of drives out to the lakes and evening cruises out to the restaurants. The car is running great and feels very tight and rattle free. I'm impressed at how little turbulence there is driving at speed with the top down.
Question- my top is original and fits great, the hinges all work very smoothly. If I lower and then put right back up, it latches easily. If I lower it and leave it down for more than a few days it is very hard to get the latches to reach the notches they hook into. Is there an adjustment or something I can do to make this easier? The top when closed feels great- not shrunken or too tight.

Andrew-

Hi Andrew,
My top does exactly the same thing? So now I'm wondering if it's normal? My top is canvas and only 6 or 7 years old so I'm thinking it has more to do with the frame? Maybe something needs lubricating?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Andrew-

Hi Andrew,
My top does exactly the same thing? So now I'm wondering if it's normal? My top is canvas and only 6 or 7 years old so I'm thinking it has more to do with the frame? Maybe something needs lubricating?

The short answer is that most advise that you store the car with the top up. I think a beetle owners manual for our old 60 Bug ‘vert said that. The material will shrink and cause what you have experienced and there’s nothing to do but fight it to get latched again. Of course th older the top the worse, and vinyl is worse than canvas. So best thing to do is to close it up at night.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Andrew-

Hi Andrew,

The short answer is that most advise that you store the car with the top up. I think a beetle owners manual for our old 60 Bug ‘vert said that. The material will shrink and cause what you have experienced and there’s nothing to do but fight it to get latched again. Of course th older the top the worse, and vinyl is worse than canvas. So best thing to do is to close it up at night.

Or get a coupe.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Andrew-

Hi Andrew,

Or get a coupe.

For some of us, that just isn't even an option! Shocked Laughing Laughing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Andrew-

Hi Andrew,

Or get a coupe.

Not an option, I like the wind blowing through what’s left of my hair.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Andrew-

Funny! Glad to know that this is a feature and not a fault! Thanks guys!

Hi Andrew,

Or get a coupe.

Not an option, I like the wind blowing through what’s left of my hair.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Hopper Ghia!

I see! It does look like there should be a Ghia parked on the side of the road in this picture.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Trylon wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Hopper Ghia!

I see! It does look like there should be a Ghia parked on the side of the road in this picture.

John Moxon, are you listening?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

I hear ya. Laughing

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I hear ya. Laughing

Oh, John! You outdid yourself on this one! Love how you took on the challenge of diffraction where lesser artists would squeeze the car in the clear space.
I’m downloading this masterpiece.
My new screen saver!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Well done, John! Trylon's referenced American artist Edward Hopper was born in the same county where I live in southern New York state. Even though my post is going way off topic so that I don't want to paste in the images here, another of Hopper's well known paintings is this one-
https://images.theconversation.com/files/169554/or...&dpr=1

The actual house which he supposedly used as inspiration for the painting "model" is located in Haverstraw, New York along Route 9W which is in the same county. It still stands and is well preserved per this map shot. On the right, down beyond the wire fence are the railroad tracks.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1952873,-73.970217...384!8i8192

Popular lore is that Alfred Hitchcock modeled the Bates Motel after this painting for his famous terror movie "Psycho".
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Well done, John! Trylon's referenced American artist Edward Hopper was born in the same county where I live in southern New York state. Even though my post is going way off topic so that I don't want to paste in the images here, another of Hopper's well known paintings is this one-
https://images.theconversation.com/files/169554/or...&dpr=1

The actual house which he supposedly used as inspiration for the painting "model" is located in Haverstraw, New York along Route 9W which is in the same county. It still stands and is well preserved per this map shot. On the right, down beyond the wire fence are the railroad tracks.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1952873,-73.970217...384!8i8192

Popular lore is that Alfred Hitchcock modeled the Bates Motel after this painting for his famous terror movie "Psycho".

Interesting— did not know that! Looks like a nice KG picture opportunity!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I hear ya. Laughing

Much nicer now!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: