Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to replace Bosch TK12/3 star coil
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Trying to replace Bosch TK12/3 star coil Reply with quote

I have been using a Bosch TK12/3 star coil on my Okrasa engine for many years. This weekend my coil started going south I see a weak yellow spark and I lose power at random times, might run fine for 30 minutes but typically will start cutting out after a few minutes of running. Once it dies it starts right back up and idles just fine.

Anyone have any information on what these were used on and if I can replace it with the same unit. They seem quite rare but would like to get a similar unit. Have a Bosch blue coil but hate the look of it but it does seem to run better.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to replace Bosch TK12/3 star coil Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=466690

If not this, then you will have to track down an old and expensive part

There are some who will want your non working coil
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to replace Bosch TK12/3 star coil Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. It seems he his coming out with a repro 12v star coil may just wait for that.

Why would someone want a bad coil can these be rebuilt? If so who does this?
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to replace Bosch TK12/3 star coil Reply with quote

coolairX2 wrote:
Thanks for the tip. It seems he his coming out with a repro 12v star coil may just wait for that.

Why would someone want a bad coil can these be rebuilt? If so who does this?

Someone would cut it open and replace internals.

I could take a older coil or even a newer one (depending on how original you want it to look) and install that star shaped thing for you. If you are interested give me a PM.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to replace Bosch TK12/3 star coil Reply with quote

This would be pretty cool coil on an early vintage speed
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2034788

Ah sorry didn't notice you had a 12V coil. TK12/3 was used on many european cars. If you like I can see if I have a list, but I don't think it will make it more easy to find one.

TK was the standard high energi coil, 12 (volt) or 6 (volt)/3 used as factory installations (black). TK 6 or 12/4 was pretty mutch the same coil (same spec.) but painted blue and sold as replacement or upgrade by bosch. TK 6 or 12/5 was for 6-cyl (or high rev).

This is from the 1947 Swedish bosch parts book, it only list the most common cars at the time but if it is interesting I can check my later 50's bosch books for cars that used TK12/3?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to replace Bosch TK12/3 star coil Reply with quote

Thanks for the information
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to replace Bosch TK12/3 star coil Reply with quote

https://splitpartsunlimited.com/product/bosch-style-star-coil-repro/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to replace Bosch TK12/3 star coil Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
https://splitpartsunlimited.com/product/bosch-style-star-coil-repro/

That is a excellent repro coil thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: