Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

Never seize

Thank you
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics of all ki Reply with quote

But if you strip the threads use extra RTV silicone.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
Never seize

Thank you

Ford never seize withNickel not the aluminum crap
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

I'm a long time fan of Eck but it is getting nearly impossible to find.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

my meme collection link was offensive?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

I always thank myself when taking stuff apart and it's all very easy to do because i slathered it with antiseize the first time I took it apart. It's a very satisfying feeling.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
davlance01 wrote:
Never seize

Thank you

Ford never seize withNickel not the aluminum crap

I've been using the copper aero spec for over forty years: I'm told its better than the nickel.

I did get a pot of the nickel just in case I run out of the copper before I shuffle off. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

carpe screw em.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

my recent front suspension rebuild went quickly because the factory installed fasteners were easily removed with a small application of force. the radius rods were something i was very concerned about wrestling with. they came out easily with a use of direct force.

i used the copper based anti-seize on all fasteners so when the low quality ball joints fail, i can easily install the bespoke replacements.

BiWerks Design, LLC
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

I'm a fan of any anti seize, something is better than nothing.

I have to remove my lower control arms and mill out the bolts that are seized beyond anything I thought was possible.

Heat, pb blaster, hammer, repeat for 5 hours let cool while spraying
pb blaster so the bolt draws it in, soak all night, heads broken off everything your high school shop teacher warned you about....and the bolts aren't budging.

not happy-go-lucky today and I already know my titanium coated home depot crap drill bits aren't touching 38 year old German steel!

McMaster Carr here I come.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: To all future previous owners and Volkswagen mechanics... Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
I'm a fan of any anti seize, something is better than nothing.

I have to remove my lower control arms and mill out the bolts that are seized beyond anything I thought was possible.

Heat, pb blaster, hammer, repeat for 5 hours let cool while spraying
pb blaster so the bolt draws it in, soak all night, heads broken off everything your high school shop teacher warned you about....and the bolts aren't budging.

not happy-go-lucky today and I already know my titanium coated home depot crap drill bits aren't touching 38 year old German steel!

McMaster Carr here I come.
PM sent
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: