Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

Janne71 wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
I asked Tom about that in a PM, and he told me about bending the spring perches in about 5 degrees. I just did that tonight, and am going to check my timing tomorrow before I adjust my carb and take a test ride.

OK, responding to my earlier post, I reset my timing to 32 degrees. 34 PICT 3 with a 28mm venturi and an 034 SVDA, vacuum hose off and plugged, 3k rpms. My idle timing went up to 12 degrees from 10 degrees. Re adjusted my carb slightly, and I have to say I've gotten rid of that a slight bog off idle. The extra idle timing helped!

Doesn’t that get to much advanced timings. The 034 advance max at 3800rpm if you put it on 32 degree at 3k?

Not quite sure I understand your question. I timed it with the distributor at max mechanical advance. May have been 3500 - 3800 rpms, whenever the degrees on the pully stopped advancing and stabilized. The max advance stayed the same, just bumped up the initial idle timing.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Janne71 wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
I asked Tom about that in a PM, and he told me about bending the spring perches in about 5 degrees. I just did that tonight, and am going to check my timing tomorrow before I adjust my carb and take a test ride.

OK, responding to my earlier post, I reset my timing to 32 degrees. 34 PICT 3 with a 28mm venturi and an 034 SVDA, vacuum hose off and plugged, 3k rpms. My idle timing went up to 12 degrees from 10 degrees. Re adjusted my carb slightly, and I have to say I've gotten rid of that a slight bog off idle. The extra idle timing helped!

Doesn’t that get to much advanced timings. The 034 advance max at 3800rpm if you put it on 32 degree at 3k?

Not quite sure I understand your question. I timed it with the distributor at max mechanical advance. May have been 3500 - 3800 rpms, whenever the degrees on the pully stopped advancing and stabilized. The max advance stayed the same, just bumped up the initial idle timing.

Ok...wait.....so you have an 034.....which has a max mechanical advance range of 32° ....all in at 3000 rpm.....right?

But you added....at idle.....10-12° .....before even starting your mechanical advance (because you are at idle rpm)......so......that 10-12° will be ADDITIVE....added......to the 30° max. Centrifugal that the distributor is capable of.

Thats what he is saying. Thats what his question is.

So if you are not getting more than the 32°.....at 3000 or above......how did you limit this?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

many people set idle timing way to low thus the carb idle screws are almost useless...as is the tuner. if it's not all stock why should the timing be stock.... Confused because some moron says so.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
many people set idle timing way to low thus the carb idle screws are almost useless...as is the tuner. if it's not all stock why should the timing be stock.... Confused because some moron says so.

Agree!

And.....in many cases even with stock engines...especially those that were made in the first part of the emissions era.....call that about 1971 to 1979......a lot of times idle timing was set stupidly low.....or using retard......to keep emissions in check. There were also vacuum advance limeters on some engine in some places to keep vacuum advance in check at certain rpms and temperature.

Part of this "could" also have been partly due to the crappy low octane fuel of the start of no-lead gasoline.

Add retarded idle riming with low compression detuned engines.....and its easy to see where a bit more idle timing can really help.....where you were allowed to use it.

Early injection....even on bone stock....many of them idle and run better with some extra idle advance.

But being largely out of the emissions era for these vehicles....except on the left coast.....I consider advanced idle timing.....virtually a requirememt.

The key question being though....in this thread......how is one controlling the upper cumulative total advance? There are a few ways.

Ray
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
Janne71 wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
beetlenut wrote:

Ok...wait.....so you have an 034.....which has a max mechanical advance range of 32° ....all in at 3000 rpm.....right?

But you added....at idle.....10-12° .....before even starting your mechanical advance (because you are at idle rpm)......so......that 10-12° will be ADDITIVE....added......to the 30° max. Centrifugal that the distributor is capable of.

So if you are not getting more than the 32°.....at 3000 or above......how did you limit this?

Ray

OK, normally when you set up the 034 to 32° max at 3000 rpms, when you let off the throttle, the idle timing will fall around 7 - 10 degrees. To increase that idle timing, Tom recommended bending in the spring perches slightly to lessen the effective spring force of the springs on the weights. I did this, and my idle timing increased to about 12 degrees. Everything else remains the same.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
Janne71 wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
beetlenut wrote:

Ray

OK, normally when you set up the 034 to 32° max at 3000 rpms, when you let off the throttle, the idle timing will fall around 7 - 10 degrees. To increase that idle timing, Tom recommended bending in the spring perches slightly to lessen the effective spring force of the springs on the weights. I did this, and my idle timing increased to about 12 degrees. Everything else remains the same.

Ah...got it. That was the answer I wanted to be sure you posted....because there is more than one way to do this. Its part of what I was getting at the other day....in my post about there being numerous applications...but also at least two ways to get more idle advance.....and several ways to eventually limit or control it.

I took the post that Ohio Tom made...as being more about the benefits of advanced idle timing (which I agree with)....than how exactly you get it. Ray
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

Very opportune thread.

So the benefits of the right amount of timing (idle and elsewhere) can most effectively be seen using a vacuum gauge.

The V8 guys with radical cams shoot for highest manifold vacuum at idle. (Often in the 8-10 in hg range for big cams. Stock cams can go as high as 22 or 23 inches!)

(And shorten total advance to not overadvance.)

Strong idle vacuum helps a LOT with idle quality with use of accessories like AC compressors.

But I also hear tuning for best idle vacuum is not necessarily what a tuner's goal should be. The response through rpm range is more important.

My question is: is there any reason why, IF it is possible, we shouldn't tune for best idle vacuum AND rpm response? Is there a benefit to having less than maximum possible idle vac?

-Frank
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

Best idle VACUUM reading.....benefits what?

Not saying you are incorrect at all.....simply asking what the higher (really lower)...vacuum reading benefits?

Why I ask.....is again....with different/certain systems and applications like the early injection systems....having extra vacuum at idle is not really of benefit.

But having slightly higher idle and more complete combustion.....through slight ignition advance coming off idle is.....because it affects the airflow that we need for fuel mixture metering.

So.....on a range of injection systems ....especially those that are metering volumetrically.....its nice to have a slightly higher idle moving more airflow.....yet not so high that it is starting mechanical advance before its necessary.

I can see vacuum being a good tool to measure where you are. Just wondering what the specific benefits were beyond use as an indicator. Ray
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

Wow! I am so glad I started this thread.

There is so much gold here. Everywhere you turn you find a huge nugget! Very Happy

Thanks for participating team. Keep the comments coming.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

So if you kept track of your rpm while you were increasing your initial timing with the engine idling by twisting your distributor, you would find that as timing increases the idle speeds up. This will continue up until about 22-28 degrees, all engines will vary. Another way to say this is that the torque is increasing as you are increasing the timing until the point in which it does not increase any more, hence the rpm stopped increasing.

One rule of thumb, as a starting point, would be to find this rpm and then cut it in half. The point of not running your idle timing at the best torque setting is so that you have torque in reserve when you rev your engine as to take off from a stop.
Also don't forget the other part of idle timing is to get your throttle plates in the right position if you are running carburetors.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
beetlenut wrote:

Slight bog off idle with a 34pict3 and a 034!? Say it ain't so!.....I thought only 0h0h9 used to do that.
What you've done is shift the entire curve to the left, should feel more sprightly in the low end.....010 here we come!!

65 rhd Beetle
72 rhd kombi
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Best idle VACUUM reading.....benefits what?

Not saying you are incorrect at all.....simply asking what the higher (really lower)...vacuum reading benefits?
… Ray

I think this line of thinking is left over from the pre WWII automobiles.

Vacuum gauges were what they had pre WWII to measure changes in response to an engine, and it got them reasonably close as far as timing goes. But ignition timing in automobiles was very crude back then. As vehicles became more sophisticated it turned out that setting timing for max vacuum wasn’t really ideal in most circumstances.

Some old school auto repair shops still practiced this technique for setting timing well into the 1960’s…unfortunately.

That said, max vacuum is a pretty good indicator of air/fuel mixture. Not exact, but most times better than tuning by ear.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:
So if you kept track of your rpm while you were increasing your initial timing with the engine idling by twisting your distributor, you would find that as timing increases the idle speeds up. This will continue up until about 22-28 degrees, all engines will vary. Another way to say this is that the torque is increasing as you are increasing the timing until the point in which it does not increase any more, hence the rpm stopped increasing.

This has been my experiance too. Then as soon as you put a load on the engine it goes into detonation like a machine gun even just trying to roll away from a stop!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

most guys buy a after market distributor . put it on there motor .and set the timing .and wonder why it runs the same as a stock distributor . lol i dont know what the big deal is on setting up a distributor to run 12 or 14 degs. intal. i have been doing it since 1969 . mostly using a Mallory distributor. that came with a key. that made it easy to set the Mallory up. to run 12 to 14 degs. intal. . i have seen a lot of the china distributors being sold now a days as replacements for the 009 distributors . that are junk.the timing jumps all over the place .when you try to set the timing . the points dont last long .and the parts break on the china distributors . thats why you see good used German 009s selling for over $100.00 . spencerfvee
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

In actual fact most of them don't run as good as a stock distributor!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
In actual fact most of them don't run as good as a stock distributor!

Exactly my first though, too. Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
most guys buy a after market distributor . put it on there motor .and set the timing .and wonder why it runs the same as a stock distributor . lol i dont know what the big deal is on setting up a distributor to run 12 or 14 degs. intal. i have been doing it since 1969 . mostly using a Mallory distributor. that came with a key. that made it easy to set the Mallory up. to run 12 to 14 degs. intal. . i have seen a lot of the china distributors being sold now a days as replacements for the 009 distributors . that are junk.the timing jumps all over the place .when you try to set the timing . the points dont last long .and the parts break on the china distributors . thats why you see good used German 009s selling for over $100.00 . spencerfvee

The big deal.....is not a big deal as you note....for those who are working with engines where pretty much everything is NOT stock. So....its a natural train of thought to just tune everything until you get best driveability, HP and TQ.

The problem is the vast amount of stock or near stock builds with stock or near stock induction and ignition.

For instance if you drop into the bay bus forum they will fight you to the death to keep their timing set ATDC. In some of the bay fuel injected applications.....witj stock distributor and cam....it makes sense (especially if you still have the ball and chain of emissions on your ankle).

But....throw in a non stock cam and the BTDC timing at idle can make a huge difference. This is especially true with some of the stock injection systems.

The knowledge gap on stock systems......as you note you and others have been setting up distributors....bending tabs and swapping springs for decades.....comes from the fact that there is "0" information in the factory manuals about the possibility of doing this. People just do not know.

As I noted a few posts back.....and I want to be sure I dont muddy up this thread......Ohio Tom's quoted post.....was (I think) mainly about the BENEFIT of running slightly higher idle timing .....when most factory manuals (understanding that....those are all stock)......list ranges of idle timing across all acvw types mostly from somewhere ATDC..... to "0° ....to maximums of around 5° to 7.5° BTDC.

I have been running higher idle timing for many years and found benefits in tuning as well. So I dont have to be "sold" in the concept.

But.....and this is where I do not want to lose sight of the original concept of this thread.......a bigger question in my mind.......is how you might go about getting those extra few degrees.

As you and others have noted ...especially with the Mallorys that come with the key, or wedges or spring selection.....setting up idle timing advance has been common.

On stock distributors with my chosen applications.....its been rare that I worked with the springs and tabs.....unless I was tweaking a distribitor that came from another year of engine....work like the one on my year.

But for just a few degrees in my applications.....example when my stock distributor in a manual trans 412 is operating properly.....and is set to 27° BTDC at 35000 rpm, hoses off......we typically get idle timing of between 5° and maybe 8°. Average about 7°. It runs and tunes far better at about 10° BTDC minimum or a little higher.

So.....its simpler in this application and more uniform to get that 3° by simply turning the distributor body and keep the operation of springs and weights......unmolested.

However, if you are moving from say.....5° ATDC or "0°".....up to 10-12° BTDC.....in many applications.....that can be too big of a move to do by just moving the distributor body.....whether its because of interference between distributor body and vacuum can and things around it....or whether its an injection timing issue like we have with D-jet on type 3, type 4 and 914 engines.

The other question at hand I have been getting at.......is how people can control the changes they make. When you just move the distributor body.....it shifts the whole advance scale and adds the extra degrees to the total advance. Not ideal with higher compression on some engines.

So.....you need to limit that in my application. Since mine uses a combination of mechanical snd vacuum and vacuum usually re-asserts itself at high rpm/small throttle plate cruise.....the easy way is with a vacuum can stop screw.
The other way is by bending tabs to limit part of the mechanical advance component. Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

I use weeker springs, bending in the arms still has about the same curve, they are just way too stiff. I susaly use the msd or mr gasket curve kits for almost every dist. but yes some do need the arms moved for addvance limits or knotch the weights if they are the limit contact. there are many ways to recurve dist. but knowing what your engine needs and giving it that....is priceless and there is no bees knees pretty dist with a blue tag that fits what your engine needs. no slick moron selling stuff out of his basement never seeing or knowing anything about your engine claming his is the one and only and the best,and only he can supply what your engine really needs. but you may need his junk dist to show off how stupid you are.there are many out there. he is after a exspurt sails man.( no this is not refering to you, so dont get your painties in a wadd, this could be any of many clueless morons buying & selling the bees knees.)( good thing they have wings!!!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

Hello.
What Ray, - and Tom said. We have been doing this for 40 years, but somewhere back in the late 90´s it sort of disappeared probably due to the lack of interest invintage cars in that period.
When you begin to work with optimizing the ignition timing, you need to have AT LEAST a quality timing gun with a retard function, so you can veify your correct timing.

Almost any ACVW engine can handle a more aggressive timing curve than the stock delivered, - unless you insist on running on moonshine.

Optimizing the timing curve can be the difference of a fair running engine and a great running engine.

Finding out where the engine in question optimizes power, - and efficiency wise is kinda difficult to do on the street, but possible if you invest a lot of hours and some hardware into it. Here a chassis dyno, along with a professional engine master comes in handy.

Ignition timing is very effected of the entire ignition system from coil to wires to plugs. After that cylinderhead shape, deck height and even the quality of the valve seat job has an effect. (Basicly mix quality and vortex areas in the chamber)) I have seen medium tune engines with the classic blue Bosch and 009 "screamer kit" that needed nly 0,7 mm plug gaps to run well at all times and needed 33 degrees advance at WOT to optimize hp and torque wise. The very same engine with a better and more precise distributor, a 60 KV high insulated coil, MSD Super conductor wires and plug gap increased to 1,0 mm. optimize at 29 degrees AND pull a solid 3,5 hp and 5 Nm more. (This particular engine was a 1776 displacement, so no monster motor) and it was no slouch to begin with, ending at 125 hp and 177 Nm torque.

The optimization of the timing curve is most interesting in the idle to about 2200 rpm area, because that´s where most engines (with cam swops) are "off cam" So there you have a lesser quality combustion mix and so the engine needs more time to burn the mix decent.
This is also where the beloved 010 & 019 comes back into the picture, because on low compression large cam duration engines the initial timing advance becomes even more on its place. It is not uncommont o see a low compession engine with say an FK8 cam and 8-1 CR want 28 degrees of timing already at 2000 rpms to run even fairly well.

So, yes, as I have stated before, for the average tuner, the ignition system is one of the most overlooked areas in engine tuning. The old term "A spark is a spark" simply does not hold water, and have never done. (Pun intended)

If you live in CA and have a smog regulated vehicle there is only so much you can do. But if you are willing to invest some time and a little money in it even those engines can be optimized quite a bit and still pass the smog test and visual inspection with flying colours. I am aware that some people call it bending the rules. I call it using what ever knowledge there is available to improve both emission, cooling, performance and longlivety. BUT, that´s a whole different chapter which we shall not stray into here.

Back to main topic Smile
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting quote from Ohio Tom, Distributor Mod. Reply with quote

I was just about to say a few things of what Alstrup mentioned.

You can get away with alot more if you have a powerful spark. As appossed to someone that is just playing with a bosch blue.

California smog is required for 1976 and newer. 1975 and older can do whatever they want.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: