Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need help finishing up my wiring.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

I thought I had documented my wiring well enough to be able to reconnect everything after changing out my dash, I was wrong.

I have about 3 wires I need help with.

Where does the red wire that comes from the Hazard light #30 spade go to?

Where does the white wire with 2 black stripes from the headlight switch #56 spade go to?

And what size fuse goes in the wire from Fuse #8 back to the Westfalia cabinets?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:
Where does the red wire that comes from the Hazard light #30 spade go to?

Load side of fuse #8

Quote:
Where does the white wire with 2 black stripes from the headlight switch #56 spade go to?

Headlight relay terminal 56

Quote:
And what size fuse goes in the wire from Fuse #8 back to the Westfalia cabinets?

Front dome light. White fuse.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)

Last edited by telford dorr on Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

Awesome, I thought I had figured it out and you confirmed it. The only issue is I must have mislabeled other wires going to the relay. What colored wires go to S and 30 on the relay?
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

Ok. My #9 fuse blew. There are only 2 wires going to it. One from the light switch and the other back into the main bundle. Does anyone know where I should look for the issue?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:
Awesome, I thought I had figured it out and you confirmed it. The only issue is I must have mislabeled other wires going to the relay. What colored wires go to S and 30 on the relay?

S will be a Brown with White stripe and there is not a 30 terminal on the relay. There is a 30 terminal on the headlight switch and it gets a fat red wire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Zelten wrote:

S will be a Brown with White stripe and there is not a 30 terminal on the relay. There is a 30 terminal on the headlight switch and it gets a fat red wire.

This is the relay I'm trying to connect.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Zelten wrote:

Which fuse dose the red wire from terminal 30 on the light switch connect to?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

Terminal 30 on your relay is just a retaining tang, and has no electrical connection. On the European version (and on replacement relays sold here), that terminal needs to be connected to unfused 12 volts to operate properly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

Quote:
Terminal 30 on your relay is just a retaining tang, and has no electrical connection. On the European version (and on replacement relays sold here), that terminal needs to be connected to unfused 12 volts to operate properly.

Yep...same connection for #30 on pretty much anything non-bus that uses it....and that relay actually started its life in the 411 and 412 cars as the high beam relay in 1968....hence the 411 part # prefix! Very Happy

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:

Thank you! There is so much I have to learn and electric is my weakness.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:
Ok. My #9 fuse blew. There are only 2 wires going to it. One from the light switch and the other back into the main bundle. Does anyone know where I should look for the issue?

[Erroneous diagram deleted]

Last edited by telford dorr on Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Zelten wrote:

Does that work for a 1978? That's a nice diagram. I can almost understand it.
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

I also have this loose white wire with 2 black stripes. Any idea where it goes?

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

The fuse block diagram does NOT apply to a '78 - sorry. On the '78 schematic, fuse #9 is a spare (normally unused). Better see what is connected to it...

From Technical (click to enlarge):

The black/white wire could be the one that runs from the ignition switch to the door buzzer...
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
The fuse block diagram does NOT apply to a '78 - sorry. On the '78 schematic, fuse #9 is a spare (normally unused). Better see what is connected to it...

From Technical (click to enlarge):

The black/white wire could be the one that runs from the ignition switch to the door buzzer...

I think you are correct. I looked back at some pictures I took and it looks like it connects to the same door buzzer that a grey wire connects to. So it's not being used at the moment.

Right now my #9 fuse is connected to the wire that leads to the #30 spade on the light switch. That doesn't sound correct.

I'm trying to read that wiring diagram. Where is the fuse box in that?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

Fuse 9: top of columns 7, 8.
Headlight switch: columns 21-28.
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:

I'm trying to read that, Crying or Very sad
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

I'm trying to read that, Crying or Very sad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/U...l_2003.pdf

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: I need help finishing up my wiring. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/U...l_2003.pdf

A little light reading in my future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: