Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fastback in Hippyville
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I have 45 dells in mine, with a 1968cc, they live under the stock engine cover though

Nice. that is clean.
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

Moved it up to the shop.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before the first cleaning pass

After

Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

I see a Berg shifter. Cool

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

To the original poster......I'm a little disappointed in the "type 3-lings" in this thread. Laughing Wink .....not one of which has actually explained THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON WHY you want to get rid of that god-awful center mounted progressive carburetor.

Yes....while fitment and cutting a hole in the decklid are significant......they are not IMPORTANT.

Bluntly put.....all center mounted carbs on flat and wide engines with long intake runners....like the VW engine.....REQUIRE heated intake manifolds to keep the fuel in suspension.
This is why 100% of the basic upright engine beetles used a ported manifold heat riser directly bolted to the exhaust.

The centermount will run like shit without manifold heat. Pretty much you can get it idle fine but it runs like crap through the rest of the spectrum.....or you can get it to cruise well with poor idle and transitions. It will run rich either way.

This is not bitching about carbs. This is bitching about centermounted carbs on VWS with no manifold heat. Plenty of type 3s came from the factory with carbs......twin carbs with short manifolds.

The mikunis are a different animal and would be cool on an engine like this....one for each cylinder.....but pikely they would have short little 2" runners to each port.....or.....I think I have actually seen somewhere....that someone with either a type 3 or 4 engine.....had taken the stock fuel injection runner's ....and cut like 6" off each one so they were short. They cut just before the downward bend.....welded a flange on each pair on each side.....and ran four single barrel carbs.

I "think" they were kind of controllinf reversion issues by using an airbox or plenum in the middle connecting the inlet side of all four carbs together. Looked a bit like a BMW injection system.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

Ray, I am the original poster.

A couple things:

1. I have no idea what "type 3-lings" means.

2. That manifold that you have been on a diatribe about has since been removed, boxed up and is in the sale pile. I have a set of Del Orto's (pictured) that will be replacing the single Weber.

3. Had you asked, instead of assumed, I would have told you that I build and race vintage motorcycles, so I am keenly aware of the nuances of carburetors and manifold distances, hence the switch to the Del Ortos.

4. Calm down, man. Life is way to short for that much angst this early in the morning.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

Not that he needs my defense, but did you not see the smile and wink icons in his first sentence? He wasn't ranting, just emphasizing his points.
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Not that he needs my defense, but did you not see the smile and wink icons in his first sentence? He wasn't ranting, just emphasizing his points.

I speak four languages fluently, however I do not speak emoji.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

BonesBIR wrote:

A couple things:

2. That manifold that you have been on a diatribe about has since been removed, boxed up and is in the sale pile. I have a set of Del Orto's (pictured) that will be replacing the single Weber.

3. Had you asked, instead of assumed, I would have told you that I build and race vintage motorcycles, so I am keenly aware of the nuances of carburetors and manifold distances, hence the switch to the Del Ortos.

4. Calm down, man. Life is way to short for that much angst this early in the morning.

If you speak 4 languages & are a hot shot racer you ought to know that Delortos is 1 word? Laughing
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

Correcting grammar and spelling is the argument of the weak.

But I digress. Besides, I am not the one that woke up all grumpy.

FYI, building vintage race bikes does not make one a "Hot Shot Racer". While I have stood on a few podiums, I am just another geek with an expensive hobby.

"Når alt andet mislykkes, prøv sund fornuft" - (When all else fails, try common sense)
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

BonesBIR wrote:

"Når alt andet mislykkes, prøv sund fornuft" - (When all else fails, try common sense)
One of the Nordic languages?

Max
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
BonesBIR wrote:

One of the Nordic languages?

Max

Ja, det er dansk, mit første sprog. (Danish)
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

Your English is a lot better than my Danish. Laughing

FASTBACK content: Nice Car!

Max
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

BonesBIR wrote:

A couple things:

Hey...lets get something straight...mister "I speak four languages"....and yet...you cannot figure out.... humor.... or an emoji...or that you may not be the only one reading this thread....that there may be less experienced persons than YOU...

You are the one who needs to calm down. I'm just having fun!

Here was my point.

1. YOU....did not seem to get WHY using a center mounted carb on a type 3 is a problem (lots of people do not when they are new to ACVW...so don't feel bad)

This is evident because of this post you made....yes...even though I already saw that you planned to use twin carbs.....you obviously did not understand WHY a center mounted carb was an issue:

Quote:
I am curious, why do you say "not on a type 3"?

My cousin, another gearhead, built a custom EFI setup on a carb model 78 Datsun 280z. It was an amazing project to watch take shape, but is was a ridiculous undertaking. While I agree that anything is possible, one has to ask if the juice is worth really the squeeze? Personally, I am comfortable with carbs. making dual mikunis sing on a British Twin is all in a day work, so I see this as no different.

2. "type-3-lings....those who work with type 3's....kind of like Earth-lings?...those who come from Earth? I am also "type 3-ling" and a "type 4-ling"....get some humor and slang dude.

3. So you cannot figure out an emoji?.....uh....ok....lets see.....when someone makes a statement even in person...not online in a forum.....and they smile and wink at you....its a good bet...that even in Eugene Oregon or Denmark or wherever you are from......that the comment is lighthearted or in jest.

4. As I noted.......lots of people do not know the performance issues with ACVW's and unheated manifolds and center mounted progressive carbs...hence the reason why you even got this poorly functioning POS (means piece of shit) on the car you bought.

My admonishment was mainly to the regular users of this forum.....the type 3 people (type 3-lings) who should know better....that aside from having to cut up the trunk lid....the REAL reason why you should not use this carb on a type 3...is that it will RUN LIKE SHIT!.....and no one had yet mentioned that VERY important fact in this thread.

just because you started this thread...it does not belong to you. This is a public space. There are lots of "newbies" here that read threads .....and if a point is not fully explained they may get the wrong idea.

If one reads this thread and gets the idea that the only thing wrong with a center mounted progressive on a type 3 is having to cut the trunk lid.....then they got the wrong idea!

By the way....when people are a little too quick on the trigger....no matter where they are from...or how many languages they speak.....we might label them as a "dick"....but I would not do that to you.....it would be unfair.....English is not your first language ! Very Happy Laughing Wink .......see how those emoji's work?

And by the way....very nice car...and welcome back to the expensive hobby! Very Happy

Ray
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

For someone who insists that your words are "in jest", you sure make a lot of ultimatums.

That said, the reactions of others did explain the Type 3-lings comment, so thank you for verifying that. That also explained that most your comments weren't directed at me.

As far as single carbs, manifold temperatures and pressures go, explaining it out is a moot point, because they are on their way to be someone else's headache. If you want to debate manifold length, flow numbers and pressure I am more than willing to geek out on that stuff, just don't expect me to blindly agree with you.

As far as emoji's go, I do not use them. You say they are used to denote levity, which may very well be true. They are also a bastard means of making a backhanded comment with a built in escape route (See the emoji, I was just joking) Danish is a very direct and literal language, and I tend speak English with the directness.

I do not pretend to "own" space on a forum. I am not paying for it therefore I have no say. It would be silly to think otherwise. However I am not obliged to back down from a harshly worded post from some member with 3 million previous posts, for the same reason. I do not own the space and neither does the other guy.

I am going to go eat my smørbrød lunch, go sort out some engine tins for another local "Type 3-Ling" and get on with my day. You enjoy yours
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

BonesBIR wrote:

I know totally off topic, but also a vintage motorcycle geek here as well. and on topic, is that a complete fibreglass front end?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
BonesBIR wrote:

I know totally off topic, but also a vintage motorcycle geek here as well. and on topic, is that a complete fibreglass front end?

Yes it is.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

BonesBIR wrote:
Jason37 wrote:
BonesBIR wrote:

Yes it is.

Thanks for bringing that up Jason, as my question was going to be how much was removed when they installed it?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Thanks for bringing that up Jason, as my question was going to be how much was removed when they installed it?[/quote]

As I understand it and this is all before I acquired it, sometime in the 80's it hit a light pole and gnarled the front end. A decision was made to lower and lighten it rather than restore the body work

here is a picture under the bonnet showing what structure remains.

Honestly, there is a lot about this portion of the car that I am not all that thrilled with. A lot of my fabrication focus will be on the front of the car, in terms of strengthening and safety. Plus, I want to mount a front bumper and that is going to have to get sorted out to work with this front clip.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

BonesBIR wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Thanks for bringing that up Jason, as my question was going to be how much was removed when they installed it?

As I understand it and this is all before I acquired it, sometime in the 80's it hit a light pole and gnarled the front end. A decision was made to lower and lighten it rather than restore the body work

here is a picture under the bonnet showing what structure remains.

Honestly, there is a lot about this portion of the car that I am not all that thrilled with. A lot of my fabrication focus will be on the front of the car, in terms of strengthening and safety. Plus, I want to mount a front bumper and that is going to have to get sorted out to work with this front clip.[/quote]

To tell you the truth, it looks pretty solid up there, just missing a few bits. You could see if Mike Fisher has an early car left to cut up, but I think he's mostly got late cars left. That means you'll have to get a hold of Joel (aka Boo-Koo-Z ), as he sells T-3 parts and is in Washington state. You'll need a front apron, and a pair of decent early front fenders. Another option would be to contact Brian Fye, and see if he's interested in doing some parts swapping. It might be worth a shot contacting them and seeing if they can help you out. I know Joel will sell you what you need though.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback in Hippyville Reply with quote

Thanks.

I do like the glass bonnet, I just think that there has to be better was to execute it. I have some ideas to work out, we'll see how it goes. Going forward the car will very likely get a full cage.

Honestly this cars was already bodged up as a hot-rod, and as someone who builds old go-fast stuff, I am intending on keeping the same vibe. As previously stated, I am not much for restorations. I have nothing against those who do them, it is just not my thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: