Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brand New Here - Hello!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caffeinated
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Hi all! I just entered the world of the vintage VW Beetle fanatics, having previously owned a New Beetle some years ago (it was one of the Turbo ones, I think a 2002, and it didn't do well, sadly.) Sad However, I now own an absolutely beautiful 1960 VW Beetle -- her name is "Swoon" -- and I'm excited to learn more about these amazing cars, how to tinker with them (I don't know anything about cars but I understand that this is one of the easiest cars to learn with!) and meet other enthusiasts. I'll be reading probably a lot more than I'll be posting, since there's so much to learn about you all, but wanted to say hello and post a photo of my girl. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Warmly,

Caffeinated
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Welcome and beautiful car! People here seems to like pictures, so the more the better.

I would recommend getting the John Muir book “How to keep your AirCooled Volkswagen Alive”, grab the drink of your choice and start reading. It’s a very basic book, literally written for someone that isn’t a mechanic. Has from basic to complicated repairs and lists the tools to do the jobs. Even if you don’t plan on doing much aside from general maintenance, it’s a good easy read as well.

Good luck.

My 60:

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Caffeinated
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

I did pick that book up - thank you! Has been recommended by many, and I'm looking forward to digging in! And your baby is soooo gorgeous - what a lovely car.
Thanks for the welcome, the recommendation, and for saying hi!
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Welcome, '60 ragtops are great cars! I owned one years ago when my boys were little and I missed it.

I recently bought a '62 ragtop, so I'm back in the saddle.
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Caffeinated wrote:

Welcome to The Samba. What a beautiful car! What are your plans with it? Hopefully to keep it as-is! Wink Care to share more photos? Interior & engine?
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Caffeinated wrote:
wanted to say hello and post a photo of my girl.

Uhhh, Caffeinated - that's a VW, not a girl.

I've attached a photo showing both a VW and a girl, to try to teach you the difference !!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Not as new as Caffienated (welcome btw) but wanted to introduce myself as well and just let y'all know how excited I am to finally be a part of the air cooled club! I always wanted a project vehicle, preferably from the year of my birth (1967) and considered Camaros, pickups, etc. but also a bug. Well, I finally got one and I couldn't be happier. Found it on CL in SD and had it shipped to me in San Antonio. I haven't driven a stick in 20 years so I was a little nervous, but man, when I drove it the half mile home I couldn't keep the smile off my face and the random bouts of laughter. I love this thing! So freaking cool!

It runs, but definitely needs work. It stalled on me a few times on the way home from vapor lock I think. San Antonio is hot and the electric fuel pump is mounted in the engine compartment. I bought a block off plate and plan on relocating to the trunk. Anyway, super excited and have been spending way too much time on this site and watching resto vids lately (at the expense of work and sleep lol).

I am working on getting a birth cert which has been way more of an adventure than it should be, but whatever, I'll get it eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

txgunslinger, I love your car! That's a great start. 1 piece windows are becoming more obsolete, but I always loved them, and the molding has been removed & holes filled. Very "old school" Cal look going on! Excellent and Welcome!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Welcome newcomers!!
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Hi Gunslinger - welcome! Like you. I bought a bug (although mine is a project that's seeming to last forever!) of my birth year (1966). I haven't driven a standard on probably 25 years, but I look forward to that feeling when it's finally running and road worthy! Have fun!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Welcome, both of you newcomers! Your cars look nice! I'd been hunting for something from my birth year too and wound up with a 1979 Vespa P200E.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
cricketseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Hi, Caffeinated. I remember seeing your car on BaT. It's a nice one.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Nice VW.

I'd go back to a mechanical fuel pump, though. They are reliable, as are points distributors.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand New Here - Hello! Reply with quote

Quote:
People here seems to like pictures, so the more the better.

That's because we cannot read. Shocked Let alone type!

To the new guy's. Nice cars. And a Happy welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: