Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Street strip Gear ratios
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR MAD MAX BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

Im figuring out what could be the ideal gear ratios for my street buggy transmission.

Straight to the point..
- I know that a street and strip tranny is almost imposible to achieve in a 4 speed gearbox.
- I dont want to consider a 5 speed gearbox.
- I have a swing axle 4 speed 4:12 R&P gear box with the following gears.
1: 3.80
2: 2.06
3: 1.26
4: 0.89
- I run a set of street tires Radial TA 27" inches tall on the street but would like to get a set of Slicks for weekend drag racing 26" tall.
- The engine will max out a 7000RPM (86B camshaft)
- 2442cc engine

I was planning on doing the following.
- Putting a 1.44 third and 1.04 fourth in order to get better drag times and also change my street tires to a 29" tall to compensate a little the short gears.
I would be very happy cruising at 65MPH on the highway and I think 3200RPM is good enough in a street buggy as the engine is all exposed with an oil sump and an external oil cooler.

I would like to know your drag racing street gears plus any suggestion are welcomed.

Thank you.
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

I like to look at 2500 and 3500 rpm's for street gears and make sure that you get about the same speed in 2nd at 3500 as 3rd at 2500....not exact, but you don't want the gearing too spread apart as you'll get dead spots.

I would suggest changing to a 3.78 first, you can get it modified on the back half to be just like your keyed 3.80 first. That way it will drop right into place with the correct idler as well.

Or if you need an idler and 1-2 slider as well you might just upgrade to the 091 idler option which is a little stronger. Probably also going to be easier to find soon as 002 idlers dry up. Just make sure the 091 idler gets machined for using with the 002 mainshaft. Then it installs pretty easy with an 091 synchro and 091 1-2 slider.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

Choose whether the street, or the strip is more important, and live with the less than desirable results for the lesser important one.

Depending on how hard you plan on running at the strip, and what your 2442 makes, I would consider an aftermarket main shaft. A 3.75/2.25/1.58/1.22 with a 3.88 would give you a little tighter spacing, but get you 65mph at 3600 with a 29 inch tire. Regardless, you’ll need to look into the higher end swing axles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

CR MAD MAX BUGGY wrote:
Hello everyone.

Im figuring out what could be the ideal gear ratios for my street buggy transmission.

Straight to the point..
- I know that a street and strip tranny is almost imposible to achieve in a 4 speed gearbox.
- I dont want to consider a 5 speed gearbox.
- I have a swing axle 4 speed 4:12 R&P gear box with the following gears.
1: 3.80
2: 2.06
3: 1.26
4: 0.89
- I run a set of street tires Radial TA 27" inches tall on the street but would like to get a set of Slicks for weekend drag racing 26" tall.
- The engine will max out a 7000RPM (86B camshaft)
- 2442cc engine

I was planning on doing the following.
- Putting a 1.44 third and 1.04 fourth in order to get better drag times and also change my street tires to a 29" tall to compensate a little the short gears.
I would be very happy cruising at 65MPH on the highway and I think 3200RPM is good enough in a street buggy as the engine is all exposed with an oil sump and an external oil cooler.

I would like to know your drag racing street gears plus any suggestion are welcomed.

Thank you.

I cannot comment intelligently on the drag strip side of things, but I have driven a few street buggies and Bugs. I like to target 3000 rpm at 60 mph. It is about what a stock 40 Bug pulls, and stuffing a warmed up DP engine against a stock 40 box was a pretty common thing back in the '80's and '90's. It works well on the street. My current street buggy is geared for that target too.

If you do run a 29 inch tall tire on the street your proposed gearing would hit about 3000 at 60 mph.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

29" tire is going to change gearing in a big way.
More than your 1.44/1.04 is gonna change.
29" tires are not going to work well with your stock ratio mainshaft either.

I'd stick with 26" tires.

I really like the 3.78/2.06/1.44/1.04 combo with either the 3.88 or the 4.125 RP.

Very evenly spaced gears.

Also, I agree with the 091 1st gear idler upgrade to the 3.78 mainshaft. It will make it lots stronger.
CR MAD MAX BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

Thank you guys, looks like Ive oing my home work Smile.

I called the wright gear box and he recommended the 3.78 mainshaft to make it stronger so yes, I think I will be going that route.

The thing about the wheels is just to compensate the short gears on the street.

Right now I have a 27 inch for the street and the stock gears works well but with the new setup which I think will be 3.78/2.06/1.44/1.04 on a 4.12 R&P, Im planing on having a 29 inch set of tyres for the rear and a 26 inch set of tyres for the strip. This way I can stip cruise on the highway at a good speed and I can also have fun drag racing the buggy on the 1/4.

I didnt mention the rest of the components because they will be the standard upgrades.... super diff, steel forks, aluminum side plates etc etc etc.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

I have this swing collecting dust. It was okay in the 1/4, horrible in the 1/8th, awesome on the street. 12 volt case, 4 spider superdiff, h.d. aluminum side cover, welded gears, hard keys, steel forks, superbeetle 1st gear upgrade, 3.88 ring and pinion 3.78x2.06x1.26x0.89. Has less than 10k miles on it.. barely broken in.

said gearbox
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm currently building an 002 Pyramid with an 091 gear stack
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

That's pretty much the same box i have in my turbo car. Holding 250hp just fine so far.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
I have this swing collecting dust. It was okay in the 1/4, horrible in the 1/8th, awesome on the street. 12 volt case, 4 spider superdiff, h.d. aluminum side cover, welded gears, hard keys, steel forks, superbeetle 1st gear upgrade, 3.88 ring and pinion 3.78x2.06x1.26x0.89. Has less than 10k miles on it.. barely broken in.

I'm currently building an 002 Pyramid with an 091 gear stack

I've got the transaxle from my first Buggy collecting dust. Built by Transform as one of their standard options for tall rear tires, it has a 4.37 R&P with 3.80, 2.06, 1.32, 0.93 gears. It turned the power for an 1100 lb. buggy with 28 inch tall rear tires.
CR MAD MAX BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
That's pretty much the same box i have in my turbo car. Holding 250hp just fine so far.

Are you refering to the gear ratios or the gearbox built upgrade?

3.78/2.06/1.44/1.04 on a 4.12 R&P

Welded hubs, super diff, mainshaft upgrade, aluminium side plate etc etc.

I will be looking to have 150BHP so if you havent had any problem then I shouldnt either Smile

Who built it?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

The build and ratios. I should point out i haven't had mine in very long though. Just enough for a few burnouts, some hard runs and driving, and 8 back to back dyno pulls.
KCR built mine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

If you are planning around 150hp, a VW mainshaft with the 3.78 first would be adequate enough.

Treaded tire spinning burnouts on dry pavement, and rolling starts are completely different than 4K+ launches with slicks on a prepped track. 250hp is a tall order for a VW gearset for the latter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CR MAD MAX BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
If you are planning around 150hp, a VW mainshaft with the 3.78 first would be adequate enough.

Treaded tire spinning burnouts on dry pavement, and rolling starts are completely different than 4K+ launches with slicks on a prepped track. 250hp is a tall order for a VW gearset for the latter.

Do you think it will be fine for some street racing with 27-29 inche street radial tires? Just to have some fun with it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

CR MAD MAX BUGGY wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Do you think it will be fine for some street racing with 27-29 inche street radial tires? Just to have some fun with it.

The larger the diameter of the tire, and the more the overall weight, the more stress that will be put on the drive line. A treaded tire on the street will more than likely spin from a hard launch below 3k rpm, so that will help a little. If your 29’s are going to be 15 inches wide on steel rims that make the overall individual wheel weight 75+ lbs., it will be pretty hard on it. The 26 inch slicks at the track will be more than likely the most stress though. Do your homework to eliminate as much wheel hop as possible, and it should live quite a while.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

Put a shorter tire on it, or switch to 4.37 R&P, car will be mu h more responsive! How much time do you expect driving 60 mph where you live? My autocross car only has 23 inch tall rear tires and had a 4.12, 1.48 3rd, 1.04 4th and would cruise 60, now has a 3.88 to get me more mph in 2nd to better match our length courses. Could cruise all day now if needed (not what this car is set up for though)
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

A stock trans will take a lot of power if you respect it a little bit.

My stock trans with 4.12 diff lasted 3 years with about 150 hp before the 3rd and 4th gear syncro hubs needed to be welded. It was a used trans that had a lot of miles on it.

The stock diff finally let go last spring so it held for another 7 yrs. i put in a 4 spyder super diff but it's not good for long distance travel and left me in a pinch 1100 miles from home.
I had it replaced with a 10 tooth stock diff and I have over 500 miles on it now.

If you plan on driving long distances...keep a stock diff in it if you run a swingaxle.

Anything over 120-150 hp/tq will slip the sycro hubs.....maybe not right away but if you are putting decent torque to the ground especially with a turbo you will have them fail. It will be quite obvious because all of a sudden you won't be able to shift 3rd and 4th gears.

A swing superdiff has poor oiling to the fulcrums and spades and will heat up the transaxle pretty quick. Mine heated up in 30 miles while pulling a 6% grade for about 4-5 miles.
Even if the builder does oiling mods they will start to seize when they get hot.....not good when a 1000 miles from home.

I run 275/60-15 tires and have since probably 2006. They give me the best drive I feel.....I have the power to pull them though.
I can cruise all day at 55-75 mph...My 70 mph cruise is at 3100 rpm and the tires are 28 inches tall.

If you haven't run the big engine yet with the stock trans...you should put at least a 1000 miles on it to see how you like it.
Welding the 3rd and 4th gear sycro hubs will give you a nice robust trans if you don't absolutely abuse it with smokey burnouts.
I rarely if ever launch that hard......spinning tires in a short wheelbase buggy is not the smartest thing to do especially at speed. You can get swapped around quicker than you can react and it could easily be fatal.

I'm old enough to know better and once is enough.....hitting second gear and the tires breaking loose instantly put me in the oncoming lane before I could react......I won't be doing that again........

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

Our old glass buggy had 28 inch tall tires on it with a stock 40hp box (4.37 R&P, .89 4th) it drove great, gearing for stoplight to spotlight or freeway was good. It would've needed some mods to holdup to you big cc engine, mine held up fine to my 1776, no clutch drops though
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

4.37 R/P are weaker than 4.125, and 4.125 is weaker than a 3.88.

Just an FYI..

Your idea to run 3.78/2.06/1.44/1.04 with a 4.125 with 26" for drag and 29" for street will work OK.

The only thing you will notice is that the drop on the 1/2 shift will be pretty big with the 29" tires.

Gonna bog when you hit 2nd gear on the street. (ask me how I know).

If you really want to drag race it, look for a Klinkenberg, or Oettinger 4.125 RP.
The common, "G" Gleason is the weakest. the "K" and "O" are lots stronger.
CR MAD MAX BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:

Just an FYI..

Your idea to run 3.78/2.06/1.44/1.04 with a 4.125 with 26" for drag and 29" for street will work OK.

The only thing you will notice is that the drop on the 1/2 shift will be pretty big with the 29" tires.

If you really want to drag race it, look for a Klinkenberg, or Oettinger 4.125 RP.

Thanks alot for the information! Very usefull to add to my transmission specs Im building. Klinkenberg is going up on the list imediatly.

I will ask, How do you know the gap will be big?

Also. What if I keep my 27" tyres that Im using right now and DO NOT change to 29" for the street?
The 26" are a selected number for the track but I can keep my 27" for the street and this way I can have a smaller gap in 1 to 2 gear. I normally cruise at 100 KPH on the highway which I guess is about 60-65 MPH.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Street strip Gear ratios Reply with quote

CR MAD MAX BUGGY wrote:
Ohio Tom wrote:

Just an FYI..

Thanks alot for the information! Very usefull to add to my transmission specs Im building. Klinkenberg is going up on the list imediatly.

I will ask, How do you know the gap will be big?

Also. What if I keep my 27" tyres that Im using right now and DO NOT change to 29" for the street?
The 26" are a selected number for the track but I can keep my 27" for the street and this way I can have a smaller gap in 1 to 2 gear. I normally cruise at 100 KPH on the highway which I guess is about 60-65 MPH.

I know the gap is big because my Dune Buggy has a stock mainshaft with 4.125 Oettinger RP and 29" tires.
It falls on it's face in 2nd unless I wind 1st out to 7,000rpm.

You can use Weddle's gearing calculator. You input ratios and tire size, and it tells you what rpms and MPH you are going to see in each gear.
Calculate your shift rpms and you can see the rpm drop when changing gears.
If the rpm falls below what your cam's powerband is, then you are gonna fall on your face.
Big tires make that 1-2 drop greater in all cases.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: