Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3WDtintop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

Hello fellow vanagon drivers and connoisseurs,

I am searching for original documents for a rare pop top roof model called (as far as i could find out till now) "Spacemaker" made by "Viking" or "Motorhome International" for the T25.
The reason behind this is a vanagon that I bought two years ago in France. My Dad and i restored it and wanted to get it registered here in Germany. I attached some pictures of the beauty.
Now the super annoying german TÜV (technical check, obligatory for every car to be road legal) demands documents from the manufacturer about how the roof is attached or at least some kind of brochure about this roof on a T25.

I only found some information about the T2 bay window. The company Motorhome International was british and doesn't exist anymore since around 1985. Maybe someone on here has an idea where to get any useful info on this roof on the vanagon?
I'm glad about any hints! Thank you, Greetings!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 3WDtintop on Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

That's a really cool roof Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

It is a cool roof. Is the cutout an original sunroof opening? If not are the original cross members still there? There is a new market for roof mounted tent platforms. If the body is intact, maybe calling it a “roof top tent” might be another direction. It’s obvious it’s not structural. Sorry no help, but have seen busses with that “type” of tent setup.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

You've probably already done this, but I'd be reaching out to campervanculture and brickwerks. If anybody's going to be able to track that info down, it's those (british) companies.

That's a beautiful top- love it!
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

not much available online
I have found this:
http://www.vwpix.org/T3/Prospekte/grossbritannien/1980_00_Motorhomes_Explorer/index.html

On UK forums they said that the roof was also sold separate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

Nice job finding some documentation.

That's a really neat camper roof. Who's gonna remake it? Cool
3WDtintop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

Thank you all for the ideas!
MarkWard, it's just a cutout between the B- and C-Pillar, both cross members still there. Good Idea, I'm gonna try argumenting like that.
Thanks mikemtnbike, I'll contact those companies, worth a try.
And thank you ZSZ, That one is new to me!

Glad I joined thesamba, already worth it Very Happy
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

This really gets my juices going. I have a '91 tiptop I use as a daily driver. Combo car, trash hauler, boat and sails transporter, mobil workshop, motel and temp warehouse. I tell people it's everything except a Ferrari. I have a bed platform which converts to a number of other uses, but no interior furniture as that would be in the way most of the time. Even removed the rear seat and heater for extra cube. But would love to stand up and maybe have an optional storage/bed zone. I'd make it completely removable so for normal usage, except for a plastic panel to cover the hole, there would be no difference from the car as it currently is configured. Now if I could just design it so it could double as a boat too..........

Duncan

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

The Viking roof is so spacious, it`s a neat one!
Xplorer is another model name associated to it.

picture #2 from VWPIX might be enough for TUV if they read the text.

I`ve seen some documentation a while back on the french frorum, but pretty sure it`s the same as above Confused
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

if you didn't see this yet...

maybe you could contact this store
https://www.proudtopop.co.uk/camper/roof-type/vw-t2-pop-top/vw-t2-viking-spacemaker-camper-van.html

and borrow/buy installation instructions for a T2 from them...
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

3WDtintop, way cool top, would you mind posting a pic of the inside with the top closed? Thanks Mark
3WDtintop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

Kind of forgot about this thread, quick update: Last week, we tried one more time and finally got the TÜV approval! In Germany, you just need someone that knows someone who you then pay a bit more than usual and voila, it works Very Happy
Thanks again to everyone helping out.

Just have a picture of the roof up but with the side slide out not yet out if that helps @vino de vano
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

This is the best roof lift camper I have seen. A while back the High-Schooler-with-a-Passion was toying with some ideas for a lift top. This seems to me the way to go. However, I too am interested in pics of the whole thing down and stowed. No H bar, two full length bunks, one which appears to be a double. I wouldn't want a bunch of sagging canvas while driving when it's down. However this shouldn't be any hill for a climber. Maybe the tot bed flips over and covers the hole so all the canvas us hidden on top along with the mattresses.

Looks like it might be a bit weak in the ventilation up there. Tents can get really hot in the sun. Maybe add a spaced away fly and have decent sized screened openings on the ends.

Definitely worth noodling over.

Duncan
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

There's one for sale in GB...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164932788326?hash=item2...ition=3000

Hans
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
There's one for sale in GB...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164932788326?hash=item2...ition=3000

Pic assist,

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

I'm glad that you got it registered but really any fool can see how it is attached to the rain gutter and then latched.

Interesting top concept though........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Documents on the Viking Spacemaker Roof for T25's Reply with quote

Well lookie at this!!

So for around $800 plus shipping You'd be ready to go.......well there is the pesky operation to whip up the glass top. $400ish for the Westy canvas, so pricier, but what a difference in useable volume. Even if you don't sleep put there, think of all the gear that can be stowed out of the way and not impinge on the interior. And someone could still hang out there on a rainy day and do some serious readrinking.

A skylight and able to get into a low garage. Looks like it has all anyone would want.

Not as cheap as mine ($65 delivered and only three days shipping from Finland), but much quicker to set up--especially in the rain.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: