Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring Meltdown!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr_P_in_WV Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

I just bought a 1970 Karmann Ghia couple w/autostick. The body and engine are in exceptional condition. But the ignition lock was balky. As I was turning the key to the steering-lock position, I heard sparking and smoke started coming through the lock cylinder.

It took me a couple minutes to get some tools, open the engine compartment and detach the ground strap from the battery. In the meantime, there was a lot of smoke (the sickening electrical-stuff-is-melting kind of smoke). At one point, the starter motor ran for about 20-30 seconds and then the horn came on and stayed on until I got the ground strap off.

I see no damage to the (a) fuse box, (b) wiring behind the dashboard (accessed through the trunk), or (c) wiring in the engine compartment - except as noted below. I am hoping that the damage is to the ignition system inside the steering column, and I figure on replacing the lock cylinder, the electrical switch, and the turn signal switch.

In the engine compartment, there were two cables attached to the positive terminal of the battery. One runs through the firewall; I believe this one leads to the starter motor. The other cable divides into two branches and attached so what appears to be a Bosch relay. This cable is thoroughly destroyed. I am including two photos, one showing both cables (No. 2 is the melted one) and the other showing a close up of the melted cable and the "Bosch relay" or whatever it is.

I have no idea what I should use to replace the melted cable. Buying an entire wiring harness seems like overkill. Can anyone advise me as to what gauge of wire I should use? Can anyone identify the "Bosch relay" so that I can replace it as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Many thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

The Bosch "relay" is a voltage regulator.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
The Bosch "relay" is a voltage regulator.

Ah! That makes sense. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

As a noob having just completed a total rewire of a ‘59 coupe, my advice is to not replace any component or wire until you understand exactly where the short took place.
I just experienced one, thought I knew what caused it, replaced the fried wire, and, yep, it fried again.
It was painful and time consuming but I finally figured out the cause— a later model speedometer with different grounding characteristics. I could have replaced the wire (and other components) many times over and still have gotten the same result (smoke) had I not thought it through.
If you are not comfortable with electricity (and I suspect that is the case given that you could not identify the voltage regulator), I strongly advise you to seek out someone who is and count yourself lucky that only electrical components fried and not your car.
Good luck!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

Thanks for your good advice.

I do have a fair amount of experience with electricity, although not a lot of it with old cars - hence, as you point out, my failure to identify the voltage regulator.

All the evidence points to a faulty ignition switch as the source of the short circuit. Following your advice, I will proceed with caution and put a fuse in line with the new circuit. If I am wrong about the source of the problem, the fuse will blow instead of melting the ignition switch wiring.

Thanks again.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

Dr_P_in_WV wrote:
Thanks for your good advice.

I do have a fair amount of experience with electricity, although not a lot of it with old cars - hence, as you point out, my failure to identify the voltage regulator.

All the evidence points to a faulty ignition switch as the source of the short circuit. Following your advice, I will proceed with caution and put a fuse in line with the new circuit. If I am wrong about the source of the problem, the fuse will blow instead of melting the ignition switch wiring.

Thanks again.

Sounds reasonable. As melting may have taken place out of sight, you might want to test components/wires for incorrect grounding to avoid a short somewhere else.
We are going to replace the incorrect speedo with the correct one today and, even though we have a pretty good idea of what went wrong, we are going to take it slowly, battery disconnected, testing out our idea with a multimeter the best we can think of, and using a bench power source with limitable voltage and amperage.
Wish us luck!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

Wish us luck![/quote]

Good luck!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

Dr_P, you can study the wiring diagram for your Ghia. There's one in the "Technical" section at the upper right of each page. Each factory wire that was originally in your car is shown with the same color on the diagram, as well as the wire diameter in millimeters. Diagram perspective is from above, with engine to the right and headlamps to the left. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/70-71ghia.jpg

The voltage regulator (VR) is marked C1. The thick red wire that burned is marked "6.0" which is approx. 1/4".

Millimeter to SAE wire gauge conversion:
https://www.rembar.com/resources/american-wire-gauge-awg/

Looking at the diagram, one of the red with white stripe wires at the VR goes to the battery so that terminal is always "hot". Another red/white wire goes from the VR forward to the fusebox (component S), from there a smaller red 4 mm wire goes to the light switch (E1), and another red 4 mm wire from the light switch to the ignition switch (H). There is a black, then black with red 2.5 mm wire going from the ig switch terminal 50 to a connector, changing to a red 4 mm wire that goes back to the starter solenoid at terminal 50.

The numbers are standardized component designations for the German auto industry. Terminal 50 means "switched power to the starter" for VW, Porsche, BMW, etc. Any terminal 30 means "always hot" with battery power. Terminal 31 is "ground" and usually has a thin brown-colored wire.

This path describes the actual current flow for activating the starter. It really does go from the battery at the back of the car forwards to the fuses/ig switch, then flows right back to the rear of the car to the starter.

As Trylon mentioned, there must be an underlying cause of the short circuit. This long current flow can be trouble-free for decades, until disrupted by an incident (e.g., careless tools fall onto the terminals, poor previous repair becomes dislodged, etc) that creates the short.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
As Trylon mentioned, there must be an underlying cause of the short circuit. This long current flow can be trouble-free for decades, until disrupted by an incident (e.g., careless tools fall onto the terminals, poor previous repair becomes dislodged, etc) that creates the short.

Rome, Thank you. This is very helpful indeed.

As for the cause of the short, I believe it was a failing ignition switch. When I got the car - the day before the meltdown - the switch was balky and turning the key either (a) started the car or (b) did nothing - NOTHING. The next day I was investigating by turning the key without starting the engine to see if the idiot lights would come on. They came on intermittently, and I figured I should order a new ignition switch. I put the key into the off position and pulled it out of the cylinder, at which point the idiot lights came on and the smoke started as the insulation melted.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

I hope for your sake that the big wires at the ignition switch were not shorted, though most likely they were. Easy to see from the trunk, where the main loom from the steering column- the ignition switch and turn signal switch- come out into the dash area.

You have a few choices for repair, after identifying all of the wires that were burnt- Replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch with a new one, though I think that the only currently available ones are aftermarket and are likely not as robust as original German ("OG"). The other possibility is to adapt an earlier ignition switch from a '67 or so Beetle/Ghia and mount it either on the dash face, or underneath. '66 and earlier Ghias had their ignition switch on the left side of the dash, to the left of the speedometer. Either way the earlier switch will require drilling a sizeable hole, guessing ~9/16" diameter. And you;'ll have a different key than for the doors, though it's possible to have the switch tumblers re-keyed if you know the door key code. That code can be found easily once you remove the driver's door handle.

The ignition portion of the '70 switch, per the wiring diagram, has only a few wires. Here's a shot of a genuine '67 Beetle switch on which you can see it has only 3 wires for the ignition/starter circuit- terminals 30 (always hot), 15 (ignition running) and 50 (starter activation). You could take the wires from your original harness, after being repaired, and make a jumper section for the corresponding 3 wires to reach the (new) Beetle switch, then buy a black plastic round plug to close off the original hole in the steering column's ignition location. a.marscapone gallery-
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

Hey all,

I need to get a length of the 6.0 red/white stripe wire (going from the + side of the battery to the VR).

Don't think I was reading the chart conversion right... does 6.0 mm = 10 gauge?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

The wire from the ign. switch to the coil is UN-fused so it is what melted and any wires next to it also may be damaged.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

Quote:
does 6.0 mm = 10 gauge?

For the purposes of repairing your wiring..yes. Make sure it's automotive wire, it has more finer wires than industrial wire.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
For the purposes of repairing your wiring..yes. Make sure it's automotive wire, it has more finer wires than industrial wire.

Meaning a 6mm/10 ga that has many strands in it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
runamoc wrote:

Meaning a 6mm/10 ga that has many strands in it?

yes, it's what makes the wire flexible and better able to handle vibration
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

Cool!

One more question: do we know of a place that sells OEM auto wire?

Specifically the 6mm/10 ga. red/white stripe wire?

Thanks!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

Quote:
do we know of a place that sells OEM auto wire?

yes

https://www.wireandsupply.com/GXL_10AWG_RED_p/gxl-10g-03.htm

Quote:
Specifically the 6mm/10 ga. red/white stripe wire?

no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Meltdown! Reply with quote

I am the original poster, and I thought I should report on what has happened to my Ghia. The TLDR is this: I replaced the bad wires and parts, one by one, and got the car running again.

On the driver's side, I removed the rear inside panel, the door sill plate, and the floating kick panel to expose the wiring harness. I replaced the melted wires, principally the main power wire from the voltage regulator to the front of the car. I used 8 gauge wire here, and the same size wire to connect the battery to the regulator. But that was just the start.

I found a lot of burned/melted wires behind the dash. It was hard to sort them out because the PO's wiring did not fully conform to the factory wiring diagram. I also found a lot of burned up switches that had to be replaced: ignition (of course!), turn signal, headlight switch, and emergency flasher. I also replaced the voltage regulator.

I worked in fits and starts, sometimes because I had to wait for parts and sometimes because my job and domestic responsibilities kept me out of the garage for long stretches. Finally, a few weeks ago, I got all the electrics working (except the buzzer to let you know you left the key in the ignition - it was too much trouble to replace the melted wire for that one). While I had the streering column apart, I went ahead and replaced the cracked-up steering wheel with a new one in the original stock style.

With some trepidation, I hooked up the starter motor to the battery and cranked the engine. On the third try it fired up and ran just fine, even though it had been dormant for a year. Oh boy, that felt really good.

Soon I will start work on some other stuff to get the car roadworthy (adjust valves, timing, carb; change oil, etc.).

I am embarrassed that it took me a year to get the electrics sorted. I learned a lot in the process. If I knew a year ago what I know now, I might have just put in a whole new wiring harness. That way, I could put everything together per factory spec - and avoid a lot of detective work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: