Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 Cape Cod Sage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

After a couple weeks, started to have issues.

Bought a fuel pressure gauge at the local FLAPS and quickly found out that during acceleration I was only getting 10psi fuel pressure. It was good at idle around 26psi. So I disconnected the fuel line from the tank and the fuel was trickling out. I figured the fuel I’ve added to the tank stripped all the crud inside the tank and was now clogging the gas tank.

Ordered a new tank, swapped it with the old tank, and we’re all good now. The old tank sounds like a rain stick. I figured it was worth the time to install a new tank rather than clean the old one out. And I don’t want to deal with issues 6months from now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All is good now runs very strong. If you ever have a clogged tank, bite the bullet and just buy a new one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AUBeatz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

New tank looks great! If you don’t mind me asking, where did you purchase it from? Might possibly do the same for mine.
AUBeatz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

New tank looks great! If you don’t mind me asking, where did you purchase it from? Might possibly do the same for mine.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

AUBeatz wrote:

CIP1 fuel outlet and return were a little out of wack from shipping and needed minor tweaking for install. Otherwise, it seems fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

There we have it! Crack the champagne - it's driving and in the City

Link

Link

The curse of the flat tire continues. Leaky valve stem. Chop shop changed it out, ground and sealed the rim. so hopefully it'll hold some air for more than a couple days.

Now it's time to clean out the inside and get the camper interior in better working order.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Going down the fuel tank blues right now. Found one at a salvage yard, only to find out after I got it home, and poked and proded later, that it had holes at the water line.

Did the one you buy from CIP have the slosh tray built in for FI? Ive seen a lot of places offering tanks that say they are FI compatible, but they only claim that because they have two outlets. Correct me if im wrong, but the FI tanks had the slosh tray in them to prevent fuel starvation as you went around a corner. The aftermarket two port tanks would work fine, as long as you never get below a certain fuel level.

Not criticing or challenging what you have, but knowing what you got would help me as im about to take my old school tank to the welding shop, and have new outlets brazed onto it. If I could just buy the proper tank, it would probably be cheaper or a wash in the end.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it had the slosh try. The new tank also is raw metal on the inside, not painted. I filled the tank half way after installing it and drove it around the city pretty aggressively with no problems. Didn't feel any fuel starvation. Then I put a full tank in there after about 10-15 miles, so I guess we'll see. I rarely run down to less than of 1/4 tank anyways. 1/2 tank is empty to me and always keep it full most of the time.

Also, I was in such a rush to get the tanks swapped out because the baby was due in a couple weeks, and just needed the bus to run.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Well, been a while and I know folks are itching for an update. First thing first, we had a healthy baby girl on March 5th, little Oak came in at 8lbs 2oz. Mom and baby are great! I finally got a picture with the two of us with the bus.

During a nap (they only last about 90min) I was able to get the tail lights working. After two naps and getting frustrated, I just went to Autozone and double checked I got the right bulbs. Which I didn’t. 1157 tail light bulbs is what you need. It I got brake and running lights in the rear.

Link

And during another nap I was finally able to get the spare tire mounted. Bus had the OG westy front spare tire mount, so I hung it up. I think I’ll keep it. Then I’ll gain the extra storage space in the kitchen cabinet. Spare tire cover is on order with Wonderbus.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

dam dude! your bebe has HAIR

holy shit Laughing

congrats. wait till she's old enough to argue with you. are you coming up to terryfield?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Congratulations!

I think she's already eyeing your Bus!
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Get a haircut, you hippie!

Glad you guys are doing well!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Congrats on the little one! Cool Cool Great pic.

I'm planning to be in Terryville, will keep an eye out.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I won’t be at Terryville this year. Mom still needs my help with the little one and we don’t have any family in the DC area that could help out.

I am trying to get to the Deutsche Classic July 10th. It’s only a couple hours from DC and it’s a good show.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Good tip on the tank. I had bought a "good" F.I tank a couple years back when you couldn't get the proper one. It had been sealed and don't think I am going to trust it. Time to invest. I was just at the cape Memorial weekend... the weather was late season form, but still the Cape! Looking forward to seeing you at local show someday.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

[quote="skills@eurocarsplus" are you coming up to terryfield?[/quote] I'll be there, can't wait.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

For Father’s Day I asked for some time to work on the bus and my request was granted. When I purchased the bus, the lady threw in all new pop top seals and canvas. So I spent about 5hrs this weekend cleaning, painting, and refreshing the pop top. Used the rustoleum marine paint. Looks great so far. Will use the next few weekends to do the back part of the pop top.

Don’t have garage in the street so it looks like I’ll be leaving the top on for the canvas install. I’ll chip away at it slowly when the kiddo and mom dont need me.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Weather was super nice today and I got to finish painting the roof.

Used the rustoleum top side marina paint from the local hardware store. Good enough for me! Will do new seals next weekend.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Interested to know how you get on with the pop top install.

I am going to attempt to leave the top on while I install it also.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Interested to know how you get on with the pop top install.

I am going to attempt to leave the top on while I install it also.

Ladder and if needed, rubber hammer outta do the trick. Wink
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Almost there with the new pop top canvas. Doing it myself so left the top on during install. The lady I bought the bus from included the canvas with the sale. It’s a BD canvas from 10-15 years ago. The windows don’t seem to be in the best locations but I’ll take a free canvas any day of the week. Good practice for if I have to do it again.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: