Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Whats entailed in converting a manual t3 to an automatic?
Specifically a 2.5 subi/vw manual to a 2.5 subi/subi auto
Assume the AT has been fully modded
T
Rear discs
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

This is a great question and something I've often wondered about. Basically it seems the question is can a Subie engine and tranny be stuck in a T3 and what would need to be done to make that happen.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

All it takes is cash, apparently;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzD76XCBjtc
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What is this hard plastic vacuum line for that I have capped with a bolt? Apparently it dropped down from where it was zip tied, hit the exhaust, got a bit melty, and was the source of all my running issues for quite some time.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Goes to the halo ring?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I am fairly certain that I don't understand you. Either that or that I need to call the Master Chief.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Do your power brakes work correctly? If not maybe its the vacuum for the booster. If so it would have originally hooked into the intake plenum.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

It looks like a trans or front diff vent line, but neither of those would affect running issues.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Brakes work great. The booster line for the brakes is connected to the plenum. It runs with the other wires/lines forward on the drivers side. I don't think it's a vent line.

The van was converted to a carburetor when I got it, do carbs need extra vacuum lines? I don't know much about them. I tried to trace it laying on my back but it disappears in a mass of black lines. Next time it's in the air I'll follow it properly. Was hoping someone knew right off the bat, hah.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Brakes work great. The booster line for the brakes is connected to the plenum. It runs with the other wires/lines forward on the drivers side. I don't think it's a vent line.

The van was converted to a carburetor when I got it, do carbs need extra vacuum lines? I don't know much about them. I tried to trace it laying on my back but it disappears in a mass of black lines. Next time it's in the air I'll follow it properly. Was hoping someone knew right off the bat, hah.

Does your Syncro syncro?
It could be the vacuum line to the white 3 ball vacuum cannister under the drivers side mounted near the transaxle.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My original starter is finally biting the dust. Should I just go with this one from Van Cafe?

https://www.vancafe.com/LMS1104-p/lms1104.htm

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^^I added the Bosch high torque starter using the Westy Ventures adapter plate (sold at RMW). it's a fine starter but so don't notice an amazing increase in spin on my Bostig that some folks report, poss. because it starts immediately.

The question with that unit with the built in adapter plate is if it can be fitted to the starter available at a FLAPS should you need an emergency replacement.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
My original starter is finally biting the dust. Should I just go with this one from Van Cafe?

It is nice to be able to buy a new starter verses a rebuilt unit, plus it is nice to have a starter that is going to be readily available in most any FLAPS in the country.

That said, the stock starters have done very well for me.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:

I got that one recently. I don't know what my old starter was that I killed (looks exactly like another one I have that is stock), but the new one cranks just the same.

My concern was that the wire harness did not match up with the new layout of that new starter. Too short. Took me a couple extra hours fiddling around to extend the wires..

It works just fine tho, really not complaining. Just not what I thought Hi-Torque would mean..

-bobby
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I wish there was a starter that could power the Syncro out of the way off to the side of the road if the engine dies.

The starter in my Dodge Power Wagon could get it all the way across an intersection!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Just not what I thought Hi-Torque would mean..

-bobby

Higher torque does not necessarily translate to higher speeds, especially under relatively low loads.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
It looks like a trans or front diff vent line, but neither of those would affect running issues.

This was it. It is the front diff vent line. Uncapped it and it properly gurgled, lol. I did not expect the diff vent line to run all the way to the back. The running issues must have been solved somewhere else along the line.

Thanks!
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
childofthewind wrote:

I got that one recently. I don't know what my old starter was that I killed (looks exactly like another one I have that is stock), but the new one cranks just the same.

My concern was that the wire harness did not match up with the new layout of that new starter. Too short. Took me a couple extra hours fiddling around to extend the wires..

It works just fine tho, really not complaining. Just not what I thought Hi-Torque would mean..

-bobby

Hmm.. thanks for the heads up!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
vwbussed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I've got a 1.9 that over heated and the thermostat housing blew and coolant went everywhere. Is this an easy fix or is it more likely the head is toast?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Head not necessarily toast, the thermostat housings are actually a known weak link, head not necessarily effected.

Why the "necessarily" qualifier?

On the 1.9, the thermostat housing bolts are notorious for snapping during removal and then your head is not completely toast, but the job absolutely becomes way more complicated. If you or your mechanic attempts replacement, use all due caution, lots of penetrant, etc. There are threads on this topic specifically.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 137 of 193

Jump to: