Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoBrewer71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

I'm just curious if anyone knows why exact color matches do not exist for original VW interiors.

If I'm wrong about this, then please let me know. I've been trying to find reproduction (or original!) door panels for my 1965 Bahama Blue beetle in two-tone Iris Blue and Windsor Blue, but they do not exist as far as I can tell.

I guess it's possible the names are copyrighted and they go by a different color name, or very slightly different RGB mix? I've checked many of the vendors that are commonly mentioned in the forums, but haven't found anything even remotely close to that original color combination.

Whichever company finally decides to put out panels and cloth in original colors is going to find themselves overwhelmed with business.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Not just the colors, but also the textures and method of manufacture. Likely because it's costly to replicate the way the door panels were made by VW (or the vendor), not to mention the vast number of colors that would have to be replicated.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

BTW, that door panel is in very good shape compared to most. It can be cleaned up and re-glued. I re-glued the rear panels in one of my cars. I heated the vinyl to make it more pliable, then re-glued the edges and tabs that fold under the back side. I had a bunch of binder clips that I padded with cardboard to clip along the edges until the gorilla glue set up.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeoBrewer71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

That is my plan. I have this panel, plus the two rear panels. One of the rear panels is significantly torn but the other one is in decent shape (1 tear, photo below).

Can this sort of tear be repaired?

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Glue the backside of the tear, but it's below the seat bottom and wont show.

Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

GeoBrewer71 wrote:
That is my plan. I have this panel, plus the two rear panels. One of the rear panels is significantly torn but the other one is in decent shape (1 tear, photo below).

Can this sort of tear be repaired?

Have you ever seen someone repair a piece of artwork? Usually when the canvas is torn they use a piece of cloth on the backside to mend the tear. If it were me, I'd approach it similarly to this...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Fast+Fix+Repair+a+Tear+in+Stretched+Canvas/98086

I have original door panels in my car as well and if need be I'll be mending them like this as opposed to buying replacements. Its not a matter of cost, it's a matter of originality. The replacements look nice but they just aren't right and if they're not gonna be right, then why not go full custom.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Same concept but here's an actual automotive repair kit from 3M

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08579-Leather-Vinyl-Repa...=hyprod-20

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'52 Split based Devin
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Wonder if a patch for an inner tube or pool toy would work?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Wonder if a patch for an inner tube or pool toy would work?

The only problem with a patch like that is the thickness. Over time, you'll begin to see the shape of the patch pop right out of the vinyl. It really takes something thin but strong.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'52 Split based Devin
AircooledVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Have you checked West Coast Classics http://www.classicvws.com/menu3.htm ?

I havent ordered from them personally, and they are a bit pricey but thats to be expected for handcrafted items.

I was told they are the only source of the one year only 1964 seat cover material in the corded pattern. Im far from the interior phase for my 64 but would love to have the original brown corded seats!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Since the tear is so low on the panel, I'd do as others say and use a thin backing of some sort. The tear is low enough that the seat bottom will cover it, you just don't want it to tear more.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

AircooledVintage wrote:
Have you checked West Coast Classics http://www.classicvws.com/menu3.htm ?

I havent ordered from them personally, and they are a bit pricey but thats to be expected for handcrafted items.

I was told they are the only source of the one year only 1964 seat cover material in the corded pattern. Im far from the interior phase for my 64 but would love to have the original brown corded seats!

I think Lenny gets the material from Himmel service in Germany. Not sure they have the cord patterns though.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Squozen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

I just contacted JBugs and sent them pics of my original interior - which looks like the same as yours - to see if they want to work to create a new interior choice that matches the original. You're right: they will be overwhelmed if they actually do.

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Squozen wrote:
I just contacted JBugs and sent them pics of my original interior - which looks like the same as yours - to see if they want to work to create a new interior choice that matches the original. You're right: they will be overwhelmed if they actually do.

JBugs doesn’t make anything. They sell TMI and Empi interior products and neither produces the fabric I don’t believe.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Squozen wrote:

JBugs doesn’t make anything. They sell TMI and Empi interior products and neither produces the fabric I don’t believe.

correct
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

try calling sewfine they may help.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
try calling sewfine they may help.

They don’t make the material either. All the shops simply buy what’s available through their material suppliers. Until someone steps up and dumps a fat stack of cash into getting a fabric producer to run a bunch of it or they find some NOS stock it’s not happening.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

It won't be blue but the Bus salt & pepper material is pretty similar to that pattern if you can't find anything at all.

Of course you would need to buy it in bulk and replace just the salt & pepper areas of the seat or get complete new covers sewn up. $$$$

Bus seats:

Just throwing out an idea...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

Squozen wrote:

The body on that thing looks rock solid, like, never been crunched. You need to post that in the '65 Registry.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Why no exact color matches for repro Beetle Interiors? Reply with quote

I had the same issue with my 64. No-one makes the grey cord material.

There are companies out there who will make that material for you. Then you have to have the seat covers sewn. Not for the feint of heart though. Big $$$

If you want info PM me.

Below top is OG. Bottom is repro in wrong color but we have that worked out.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: