Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick Question - location of cargo door key code
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeowen17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Quick Question - location of cargo door key code Reply with quote

Hopefully this is an easy one, but I cant find a visual answer!

Where is the key code on a split bus cargo door handle? I have no keys for my doors and want to get one cut to code - but I want to know what I'm looking for before I pull the handle out!
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question - location of cargo door key code Reply with quote

The key code should be on the square shaft the interior handle attaches to.
63 and earlier key codes: D,F,E,Z, etc
64-66: T
67: L

Like this handle in the ad:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1884225
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Question - location of cargo door key code Reply with quote

A couple examples
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Question - location of cargo door key code Reply with quote

mikeowen17 wrote:

Where is the key code on a split bus cargo door handle? I have no keys for my doors and want to get one cut to code - but I want to know what I'm looking for before I pull the handle out!

At least in my particular 66 standard 11 window microbus, the key code can be found on top of the rotating arm that is secured to the front door handles with a single phillips head screw. You don't have to take the front door handles off the doors. Just shine a flashlight on it once you've removed the interior door panel, which as per your other thread on the subject you would do anyway. You might have to use an old toothbrush to clean it off, but it is there.

Now if you have no keys, I certainly don't quite follow why you'd want to get one cut to the code of the cargo door vs. the front door, specifically the drivers side, unless your bus is so rotten and your welding skills are so bad you intend to use it as a storage shed. Razz Stick around awhile and you'll understand that one.

So maybe you'll get lucky and all of your key codes on the mechanisms match up after 50+ years of the vehicles existence. Or nobody has gone in and changed the lock tumblers. Throw the dice and get a new key cut to the code.

Or call a skilled locksmith that has been in the business a long long time that kept that old blank VW key for just this day, and with his skills and a set of files can cut you one on the spot for reasonable coin.

Some photos of where to look for the key codes on the front door handles here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199241&highlight=key+code

Good Luck!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question - location of cargo door key code Reply with quote

mikeowen17 wrote:

You can also pull all the door handles, hatch mechanisim and ignition switch and send them to several different vendors on this site. They can rekey to a single key and you are good to go.

This guy is semi close to you... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15180
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: