Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gruuvan (slow build and refresh)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chasethistoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Gruuvan (slow build and refresh) Reply with quote

Hey all,

New to posting but have been lurking for years. Been in the air cooled VW scene my entire life. Still have a few air cooled VW's in the family but never a Vanagon. I don't know much about them so I hope to learn as the project goes on.

I recently acquired my father in laws Vanagon after his passing. He had a long battle with cancer and it finally consumed him. This van was his surf van and in earlier years was the families travel van. It has been all over the US and down the Baja peninsula. My wife loves this van because it has been a part of her life since birth. Our goal is to clean it up, throw some style at it (all while retaining the basic look of her dads van), and enjoy it with our family so our boys can grow up with it. Hope you all enjoy the SLOW build process.

First things first - she needs a motor. I was initially looking into motor swaping something a little more reliable in there but then I figured my father in law would come back to earth just to kick me in the nuts. I don't need that in my life right now. haha. So I plan on rebuilding it to a 2.3. Should be enough for the short cruises to the beach.

Second - wheels and tires. I'm sure the more I read I'll figure out what works and what doesn't. I'd like a set of OG BBS' for it but that's like asking for a miracle. Good news is I have friends at Rotiform so that's always a back up.

Third - Drop. I've read a million things and I still cant find anyone even remotely close to me that can get me as low as I want. This will not be a commuter car or even an every week car. This will only be for looks and in my opinion the Vanagon looks awful but not bad the lower you get. Can anyone shine some light on who might be able to get me on bags or hydraulics in California or surrounding states?

Here is the van. The top two are the Gruuvan and the bottom one is where I would like to be. Clean and simple.

Thanks for reading this far.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gruuvan (slow build and refresh) Reply with quote

Have you driven a Vanagon yet?

Just saying try it out stock before changing it to things you haven't experienced yet.
I'm not saying do not change, but get a feel for what it is before changing it based on what you read.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gruuvan (slow build and refresh) Reply with quote

nice van and touching family his-STORY

I think that your father-in-law will kick you in the nuts for the third item not the 1st Wink

vanagons look dumb slammed.. i guess it's better if your pants are baggy and you wear a trucker brim hat with the mesh in the back. or if your wallet is chained to your belt.

what you are looing for is this... and I don't condone it..
how the kids say it today.. it's fire..

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gruuvan (slow build and refresh) Reply with quote

It's a beautiful van (always had a soft spot for Carat/weekenders), it's great that you father in law, his daughter and now the grandkids will enjoy adventures in it.

I've asked before why some folks like to lower-down cars/vans/etc (I have a lifted Syncro so I'm on the opposite corner) and I still don't get it, however, this is your van and she's a canvas waiting for you to add your personal touch. Go ahead, and don't forget to show us the results.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
chasethistoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gruuvan (slow build and refresh) Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Just saying try it out stock before changing it to things you haven't experienced yet.
I'm not saying do not change, but get a feel for what it is before changing it based on what you read.

I have on small trips. Nothing over 50 miles. It feels a bit "squishy" for lack of a better term. But we will see once we rebuild the motor and drive it as is for a while. I may change my mind.
chasethistoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gruuvan (slow build and refresh) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
nice van and touching family his-STORY

I think that your father-in-law will kick you in the nuts for the third item not the 1st Wink

vanagons look dumb slammed.. i guess it's better if your pants are baggy and you wear a trucker brim hat with the mesh in the back. or if your wallet is chained to your belt.

what you are looing for is this... and I don't condone it..
how the kids say it today.. it's fire..

Link

While I don't fit the profile I do enjoy the look of them lower. I feel that it balances them out. When they are stock height or lifted i feel like they might tip over.

Last edited by chasethistoo on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
chasethistoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gruuvan (slow build and refresh) Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
It's a beautiful van (always had a soft spot for Carat/weekenders), it's great that you father in law, his daughter and now the grandkids will enjoy adventures in it.

I've asked before why some folks like to lower-down cars/vans/etc (I have a lifted Syncro so I'm on the opposite corner) and I still don't get it, however, this is your van and she's a canvas waiting for you to add your personal touch. Go ahead, and don't forget to show us the results.

I guess its because I've never been able to leave things stock. I have had several lifted trucks and jeeps and our current family travel van is a lifted 4x4 sprinter. In my opinion this being 2wd and a surf van for cruising I wanted to lower her down. She won't travel much other than weekends at the beach. Either way I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gruuvan (slow build and refresh) Reply with quote

chasethistoo wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

I have on small trips. Nothing over 50 miles. It feels a bit "squishy" for lack of a better term. But we will see once we rebuild the motor and drive it as is for a while. I may change my mind.

Keeping in mind I did say drive it and not change things you've read about until you've got some more feel for it... One thing I would recommend for a better handling Vanagon is T3 Technique's heavy duty front sway bar. It takes about a 1/2 hr. 45 min. to change it out

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691396&highlight=t3+sway+bar

His website says he is out of stock right now, but he is also off on vacation so this might change by the end of the week when he gets back.
https://t3technique.com/vanagon-suspension/hd-anti-roll-bar-%28front%29/

The next thing to recommend is that the Vanagon is now 30+ yrs. old so the suspension bushings are worn out unless they were changed sometime in the last ten yrs.

Again, T3 Technique is the place to go to to upgrade the rubber bushings with Polyurethane for a stiffer suspension. The poly bushings are stiffer and so much easier to get back in then trying to get the original rubber design bushings back in!
https://t3technique.com/suspension-bushings/

Christopher at T3 is the man to talk to about your suspension ideas. He is the expert on it and will give you good advice on it.

So develop an planned schedule on what to do next after you get the engine running.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: