Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Tires
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Rear Tires Reply with quote

I had a set of 195/65R-15's so I used them on my buggy. Now I'm thinking some larger rear tires would improve the rake. Without buying new wheels, would a 215/7r-15 rear tire improve the look?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tires Reply with quote

Yes go bigger...

I'm running 255/50R15 on rear but I'm probbly pushing 100hp at the wheels...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tires Reply with quote

It will improve the rake. The skinny rim will limit your choices. But, that tire should help.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tires Reply with quote

TireRack.com has all the specs you need to help determine size.

You will need to know your rim width as that will limit the width of the tire you can mount. A taller sidewall will help with the ride and give you more rake. You can measure the current diameter you have and compare it to the specs of the new tires you are considering.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tires Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
TireRack.com has all the specs you need to help determine size.

You will need to know your rim width as that will limit the width of the tire you can mount. A taller sidewall will help with the ride and give you more rake. You can measure the current diameter you have and compare it to the specs of the new tires you are considering.

Right on! I just used that site to find that the largest 70 series tire size for a 5.5 inch wide wheel is a P215/70R15 tire. That tire is just shy of 27 inches tall (26.9 inches tall) so it should fill up the fender a lot better than the 25 inch tall tire you are currently running.

A taller option (and remember that this is changing your gearing too) would be a P215/75R15 tire. It is about 27.7 inches tall.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tires Reply with quote

I ran 15"x33" for a few years then 16x31 due to better price. both on 12"wide wheel then in the rainey season when the wife was driving it I put on 235 70 15 on 8" wheel .wally worls has the best prices on tires Ive found. I like the solar tires, there cheep, there round and great tread pattern as well as quiet. anf good tracksion&handling.and they are not china, there korean!!sumuito or something like that, 3rd bigest tire companty in the world and made in lots of places. they even make skineys for the front that work great!!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tires Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I ran 15"x33" for a few years then 16x31 due to better price. both on 12"wide wheel then in the rainey season when the wife was driving it I put on 235 70 15 on 8" wheel .wally worls has the best prices on tires Ive found. I like the solar tires, there cheep, there round and great tread pattern as well as quiet. anf good tracksion&handling.and they are not china, there korean!!sumuito or something like that, 3rd bigest tire companty in the world and made in lots of places. they even make skineys for the front that work great!!!
order on line and pick up at store. Ive had tomany junk mitchlens&goodears&firedstoners. sofar the solar tires are 100% better than those name brands.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: