Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Electrical issues
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

Alrighty I restored all the wiring in my 60 6fuse bus using the Bentley and this site, however …
I may have erred somewhere I put power to it for the first time starter works generator light and the front park lights obviously the headlight switch is toast
The odd thing is I got no power to the rear (tail lights brakes) and my Wolfsburg west turn signal switch isn’t flashing anything no signals
Has anyone been in this situation before? Figured I’d ask maybe save me some time on the diagnosis 🤔
Thanks!

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

Start with the brake lights:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the key on (and power to the coil removed so you don't fry the points), using a test light, trace the power from the ignition switch, through the 2nd fuse to the brake light switch, then on to the turn signal switch, and then to the rear taillights.

Once you get that traced, repaired and working, if the turn signals still don't work, do the same for them.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

I just went through this last week on my 61.

Starting at the tail lights see if you're getting power to the wiring. You mentioned the headlight switch is bad so you'll need to ensure you have wire continuity from the fuse box to the tail lights. If I remember its a black and yellow wire and a black and red wire going to each tail light.

I ran a dedicated ground from each tail light housing to the body with a small jumper wire and some sheet metal screws.

brake lights and turn signal runs through the turn signal switch so you need to ensure you're getting power to it by using a test light on the 6 solder joints on the "circuit board".

Thats where you should start and report back.

Good luck. Its a pain in the ass but thankfully there are only a few wires for the entire bus.
SBS #00
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

Thank you 😊 now I know where to start !
I was so careful putting this together but it has been a long time since I did a rewire obviously I’ve missed something I will report back with the findings…

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

From our DEC1959 built walk thru panel camper conversion:

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

From the wiring diagrams page for type 2:

Quote:
Please Note: Some of the fuse boxes pictured in the diagrams are
rotated 180 degrees from how they actually mount in the car.
As a guideline, headlight fuses are usually on the left

66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

Sorry for the long delay I work on it when I can… so new brake light switch the switch is very important I took the wires back out of the fuse box triple checked everything as per the wiring diagram then got ahold of a original turn signal switch from a friend it’s a simple wire up to the 5 wire connection block unless you wire up the red and purple 😑 wrong
I had the purple and red mixed up I followed your advice and added grounds to ALL the lights without a good ground at the lights the flasher won’t work!
On my original switch the right Function didn’t work so I used the ww switch again checked the “circuit board” and voila I had power and right rear signals!
One last issue I’m having is with lights on and left rear flasher blinking the right light goes out I changed the light switch but since the dimmer isn’t working I need to buy a new one
So even though only six fuses it was a challenge because you need really good current for it to work correctly any corrosion and it won’t work! for anyone not familiar with wiring I would recommend a new harness

Mini R53 bob the tomato
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
From our DEC1959 built walk thru panel camper conversion:

Thanks for the pic it really helped to make sure I had it right
When I figure out how to post pics I will post it
Only one red fuse is that correct I thought there were two on the far right?

Mini R53 bob the tomato
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
I just went through this last week on my 61.

Starting at the tail lights see if you're getting power to the wiring. You mentioned the headlight switch is bad so you'll need to ensure you have wire continuity from the fuse box to the tail lights. If I remember its a black and yellow wire and a black and red wire going to each tail light.

I ran a dedicated ground from each tail light housing to the body with a small jumper wire and some sheet metal screws.

brake lights and turn signal runs through the turn signal switch so you need to ensure you're getting power to it by using a test light on the 6 solder joints on the "circuit board".

Thats where you should start and report back.

Good luck. Its a pain in the ass but thankfully there are only a few wires for the entire bus.

Thanks for the advise I would have never got it without it !! Still having a issue the right running light goes out when the left signal is on🙁

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

66 dormi wrote:

Thanks for the pic it really helped to make sure I had it right
When I figure out how to post pics I will post it
Only one red fuse is that correct I thought there were two on the far right?

Glad it helped! It varied over the years, some with all white fuses and some with just the one red fuse. Owner's manual is best source for that info.

66 dormi wrote:
One last issue I’m having is with lights on and left rear flasher blinking the right light goes out I changed the light switch but since the dimmer isn’t working I need to buy a new one

Does the RR taillight go completely dark or does it flicker feebly?? How are the solder contacts on the bulbs? If worn down used ones they need to have new solder added to them to acquire proper spring tension in the bulb holder for maximum possible contact.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

66 dormi wrote:
One last issue I’m having is with lights on and left rear flasher blinking the right light goes out

This is typical with a bad ground to the right light fixture.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

The passenger side light goes dark when the left signal is on I will re check the connections back there
Right now I’m working on the intermittent dash lights I’ve changed the light switch had dash lights then lost them along with the oil pressure light so I’ve removed the rusty speedometer cleaned all the connections polished it!
and am in the process of reinstalling so much easier than standing on your head trying to get those little screws in!

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Electrical issues Reply with quote

Pull the speedo out of the way. Thread in the screws a few turns. Install the speedo at a rotated angle from horizontal, and once up against the hole in the dash rotate the speedo so it engages the screws. Then snug down those screws.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: