Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not another Class 11 (style)...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

First off... looking good Sidehill!

As for skid plates, my favorite ones are how AZ-BUG did his originally. This thread has a couple of good pics of both the front and rear:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629767&highlight=class+11

Cheers,
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

In my thread about an offroad bug, you can see front and rear skid plate ideas.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664627
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas on skid plates. I don't think I'll need one on the front since I will be running slow on mountain trails instead of racing. My rig is not a Class 11, just a raised bug.. I have watched the Class 11 races on youtube and can see why they would need a front skid plate.

I do need one on the rear however. I have good clearance even with the thin-line 1.5 qt sump, but it won't survive even a slight kiss of a rock while the front beam would.

I like joemamas technique for bending plate. I do a lot of stuff like that.
I've got anvils, big vises and hammers, and have been to blacksmith school so can flog iron with the best of them. I'll probably use aluminum over steel tube for the rear skidplate though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

The 1st Baja I owned, bought it shortly after I turned 18, which is the minimum age to own a car in California, was a '65 Bug, still stock when I bought it from the original owner. It had a big ding in the bottom of the spare tire well and in the front of the beam from a time that the PO was at Big Bear in the snow. He hit a hidden large rock at the edge of a parking lot at a business in town.

My son's Jetta got the oil pan broken hitting a driveway that was steep. (He'll NEVER let that friend borrow anything again!)

Skid plates are NOT just for racing. Nor even just for going fast.

And a front skidplate SHOULD extend down below and beyond the beam. If it doesn't, it's a wannabe, but is NOT a "skid" plate.

I DO believe your part of Colorado gets a fair amount of snow, doesn't it?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Dusty

We get very little snow here in Grand Junction. However at our camp at 10,000 feet near Silverton they get plenty. Too much to drive around in except on plowed roads.

I had a Thing that I bought new in 73, and looking back and from what I've read it was a very capable rig. The gearing just wasn't low enough. I don't have much better now; 4.37 vs 4.12 on the Thing, but have a much bigger motor. 2017 vs 1600. I hope to have lower gears in the future.

The summer roads that I want to drive around on near Silverton would be considered easy jeep trails. I doubt that a carefully driver would ever touch the front beam on these roads. There are a few rougher trails; Poughkeepsie for one, but only a very built VW could manage it.

I will measure my beam height and sump height and post it. It may be a few days since I'm traveling.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

I plan to go with my friend who has a Jeep to Moab early July. Won't be far from you.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Any news on this build? I too am running the Atomwerk lift plates and wondering how you are enjoying them?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”
—Matthew 16:24–25
shakinjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

stupid good thread
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I plan to go with my friend who has a Jeep to Moab early July. Won't be far from you.

Moab at the fourth of July was one of my fondest memories. old town get together at the park, food booths and games and band playing in the gazebo but was extremely hot. such nice people. best corn on the cob I ever had.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

That trip turned out to happen in late July. We didn't get to use my friend's flat fender Jeep as he got sick with shingles and was NOT feeling well the whole time. Still a great trip.

Weather was exactly the same as here at home in SoCal. Same temp to the precise degree.
SoCalBajas Member
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

The car described in this build thread is for sale again in Classifieds.
AZ-BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Interesting the cage was removed somewhere along the way...
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

I saw that too. The beam just lost its support. Sad
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

New sighting of this car over on FB. Still looking good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Thanks for posting! It sure has changed over the years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: