Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turbo bug
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alejandroo1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: turbo bug Reply with quote

hello guys does anyone know anything about a hideaway cb racing turbo kit? i was thinking about it for my bored out 1600dp. they dropped the price a little and was wonndering a few things.

how much power can it make?

can you stick with carbs?

do you have to get new internals if you run low boost?

and some other questions.

im pretty new to the whole boosted vw thing. any help is much appretiated thank you guys so much!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

I am not seeing a kit on CB's site for a 1600 DP. Did I miss it?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Claude has a couple. But as you say... nothing dedicated to 1600 DP

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7075.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alejandroo1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

here is the one i was looking at https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7169.htm
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

The only one I am aware of it that one from Brazil someone did a thread on a while back but no recent feed back on it.

If you want to do a 1600 these days it's mostly a case of fabricating your own bits. Clonebug on this site started out simple with modest expectations and has now taken it to the max for a street engine. Find his build thread, it's worth a read through.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The only one I am aware of it that one from Brazil someone did a thread on a while back but no recent feed back on it.
https://www.spaturbo.com.br/kit-turbo-vw-fusca-car...-turbina/p

If you want to do a 1600 these days it's mostly a case of fabricating your own bits. Clonebug on this site started out simple with modest expectations and has now taken it to the max for a street engine. Find his build thread, it's worth a read through.

Helped ya here! Very Happy

buggee hasn't updated his thread in a while. I imagine he's building a new engine to go with the kit.
The kit was something like $870 all in including shipping. YMMV.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
alejandroo1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

did you see the link i sent?
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

alejandroo1967 wrote:
oprn wrote:

here is the one i was looking at https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7169.htm

Welcome to the VW world. It's a lot of fun.

Here's some details on that "kit".

The turbo header is made with 1-5/8" primary tubes. These are to large for pretty much any engine under 2000cc. For a 1600 turbo you want primary tubes of 1-3/8" or 1-1/2" maximum. The larger the tube and the more turbo lag you get. With the 1-5/8 tubes your 1600 will be at 5000 RPM or more before the turbo starts to build boost, then it'll be time shift and start over again. No boost is no fun.

The parts in that kit are configured for blowing through dual carbs like webers or dellortos. If you don't have those, you'll need them.

To take things backwards a step or three, can you post pics of your engine and tell us how you use it? In other words, is it a daily driver? Is it a weekend fun car? Are you wanting to build a fast race motor?

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

alejandroo1967 wrote:

can you stick with carbs?

Kit says either EFI or carburetors.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

alejandroo1967 wrote:
did you see the link i sent?

Yes I did and that is why I posted what I did. Low Cash John says it well.

Lo Cash John wrote:

Here's some details on that "kit".

The turbo header is made with 1-5/8" primary tubes. These are to large for pretty much any engine under 2000cc. For a 1600 turbo you want primary tubes of 1-3/8" or 1-1/2" maximum. The larger the tube and the more turbo lag you get. With the 1-5/8 tubes your 1600 will be at 5000 RPM or more before the turbo starts to build boost, then it'll be time shift and start over again. No boost is no fun.

The parts in that kit are configured for blowing through dual carbs like webers or dellortos. If you don't have those, you'll need them.

What you want to do will yield the very best HP increase/dollar spent of any upgrade to a stock VW engine possible but unfortunately no one in North America sells a kit specifically to do that anymore! Everyone seems to favor putting a turbo on an already high dollar radically modified engine.

With some basic tools, skills, time, research and common sense you can build your own "kit" to make a very satisfying and impressive power increase. I did it 30+ years ago and Clonebug did it more recently. Keep it to 8 psi boost and there is a lot of performance there for very little hassle and is easy on the budget. Get greedy on the power and it gets complicated.

Last edited by oprn on Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

The Brazilian kit looks like a very good option. I’ve never dealt with that company but I do deal with IMohr (in Brazil) and it’s been pretty straightforward. I can ask my contact if he knows anything about that turbo kit or the manufacturer.

Also, check with Joel Mohr at Mohr Performance in Hesperia, CA. He used to offer a turbo kit for 1600 engines.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

It looks like Mohr Performance in Hesperia, CA is no longer a thing. A web search brings up dead ends.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

Putting a turbo on an otherwise stock engine is a temporary thing.

Just plan it not lasting very long.

You'll hurt something for sure...

It's like buying a 571 blower and sticking it on a stock 350 chebby.

Yeah, it will work... but...

Do yourself a favor and spend your money on a quality big cc motor first with a plan later to turbo it..
You will have 150+ reliable HP without all the fuss of a turbo.

The when you are ready for 250hp, you can add a turbo (and a new transaxle).

Doesn't have to be crazy exotic either.

I have been building many "mild street torquer" motors lately.
Big as you want, mild cam, heads and compression. Letting the displacement and heads make the HP. More torque than HP. Reliable, fun, fast.
Turbo ready too....
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

That was purely opinion Tom.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Putting a turbo on an otherwise stock engine is a temporary thing.

Just plan it not lasting very long.

You'll hurt something for sure...

It's like buying a 571 blower and sticking it on a stock 350 chebby.

Yeah, it will work... but...

Do yourself a favor and spend your money on a quality big cc motor first with a plan later to turbo it..
You will have 150+ reliable HP without all the fuss of a turbo.

The when you are ready for 250hp, you can add a turbo (and a new transaxle).

Doesn't have to be crazy exotic either.

I have been building many "mild street torquer" motors lately.
Big as you want, mild cam, heads and compression. Letting the displacement and heads make the HP. More torque than HP. Reliable, fun, fast.
Turbo ready too....

I have to respectfully disagree. I ran a draw through stock 1600 from 2007 to 2019. In 2019 i noticed it had a little blow by so i tore it down. It was a perfect virgin case, so i put it aside and bought a different junk 1600. Took that and put efi, water to air intercooler, and of course a turbo. Pushed 30 psi through it for about a year and a half (stuck a bigger cam in it somewhere in that time to try for more power too). Even dailied it for a couple months. I built a mild stroker out of that virgin case or that stock engine would still be in there. That stock engine turbo was probably the best bang for the buck I've ever had. Solid as a rock and i was really rough on it. I feel it's the smartest way to get started in turbo. It's the least expensive engine you can learn on.
I forgot to mention i was on E85, so i don't know if that made it better or worse. Except for when i was using it for a daily. She got 91 octane and 15 psi for that time.
Just another perspective.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

I’m the unlucky one who broke a lot of shit while NA Razz
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

There is absolutely no reason a stock 1600 with a mild turbo will not last as long and make as impressive power for it's size as a bored and stroked N/A engine. It will have better street manners, make that power at a lower rpm, have good fuel economy, retain critical functions like heat and defrost and cost 1/4 to 1/3 of what an equivalent N/A engine will.

That is not just an opinion, it's a proven fact. I have been there and done both.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

OK, so your findings are "facts" and mine are "opinions".
Got it.. thanks..

It's OK to dis-agree with me.. I totally expect that...

Contrary to the "facts" , There are plenty of reasons why a bone stock motor won't last as long as a well built stroker :

The 4 dowels on the crank will fail eventually. Seen it too many times. The stock bolt fails and tosses the flywheel. 8-dowel and chromoly gland nut are required in any performance application.
The stock rod bolts are screaming. Sure they might work.. Maybe... I don't like risking things like that on my reputation. A good set of rods is cheap. A failure means total scrap. Play at your own risk.
Valve float will happen at 4,500rpm on a stock motor. Less when turbocharged. HD springs and Chromoly retainers will help dramatically with motor life. Avoiding pounded seats, broken valves, broken springs, pulled retainers, dropped valves...
Rocker shafts will blow the clips off. Pushrods will flex. Simple easy upgrades to a stock engine.
The exh valve guides will eventually crack and flake apart and potentially hurt your turbo. Even happens on big cc turbo motors. Seen it many times. Cutting back the guides and bosses flush with the port is standard stuff for turbo motors.

Opinion.. Fact... Whatever...

Honestly, I can't believe that I even have to say these things.
These are all well known failures of a stock motor in the VW world.
I mean, why do they make 8-dowel cranks? Solid shafts? Chromoly retainers and pushrods? Rods with ARP 2000bolts?
Why do folks waste their money on that stuff?

Not because of my opinions....
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
It looks like Mohr Performance in Hesperia, CA is no longer a thing. A web search brings up dead ends.

I think he is running his shop out of his house now.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo bug Reply with quote

X2 with Tom Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: