Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Preservation of Lori
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Most excellent video John. You now have a world famous truck! Nice to see you get a credit in the video too. Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

Although I haven't done it a lot lately, I used to restore those quirky '55-'57 flashers. Recently bought one for the truck, and found I had 2 more. I had built a test jig/bulb circuit to test them many years ago.

They are complicated and can never be replaced by a 2, or even a 3 prong "Auto Parts Store" flasher because the exterior turn signal bulbs are grounded and switched on the high side, while the oil and gen lights are tied to 6 volts and switched on the ground side. As such, the flasher has to have 2 sets of contacts inside. And usually when they partially fail, the speedo flasher light contacts stop working, and those are the contacts that make the clicking sound. So your speedo bulb doesn't flash, the flasher makes no sound inside the dash.... and you drive for MILES with your turn signal on. Ask me how I know....

The flasher I had found for the truck was a late '56 date code, but sure enough, I had a Jan '56 stamped cover plate ("AH")in my spare parts box, so it is all still legit!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just looking at the remains of mine from a (approx)December 20, 1955 truck. The cover with the date was laying on the floor in the rain water for 50 ish years, but amazingly I found a stamped date code LG? maybe?
I'll eventually try to get a good picture and add it. Or is there a better thread for this early "blinkenschwisher"?
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Lori's notoriety continues. On a TV show this coming Friday July 3rd on WMUR in NH, again, used as a band's stage.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Love it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

What's the stage rental pay? I'll need to recoup some money on my single cab resto pretty soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
What's the stage rental pay? I'll need to recoup some money on my single cab resto pretty soon!

I got $450 for a day of my truck being used as a buffet serving table at a VWoA vendor event. I have also recieved a few family photo sessions by loaning it out to photographers.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Lori's notoriety continues. On a TV show this coming Friday July 3rd on WMUR in NH, again, used as a band's stage.

Is one of those 3 you, John? I'm guessing not the one in the middle?
Looks like the VW truck might be the newest equipment there.
Vanagons:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

Is one of those 3 you, John? I'm guessing not the one in the middle?
Looks like the VW truck might be the newest equipment there.

Nope, none of them are me. You don't want me on an instrument or microphone, trust me! They are all good friends of mine, no rental fee!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Dropped #4 intake on the highway Saturday returning home from a VW event in NH. Had been running great.

Running wide open on I-93 there was a sudden loss of power and (felt like) compression. Pulled over under an overpass. I could get it to run but it was making some "bad" internal noises.

The engine in the truck is the '59 36hp that had been pushing my '57 Oval around for the last 20 years, arguably a tired little lump. I can't complain that it finally failed. The original engine for the '57 is about 70% done and an I am making myself finish it before I do the original Singlecab engine which was built up to a complete longblock.

So now just a bit more motivation to get them both done and each VW will have it's original engine back!

Also a cool retouched pic of the truck in my barn. Check out the old chairs, TV, Fridge and doors....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Hi John and Ardie!

Aren't you glad we got you to come over to the dark side of the VW hobby! I love Buses!!! Was Nancy building your 36hp or are you doing it?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi John and Ardie!

Aren't you glad we got you to come over to the dark side of the VW hobby! I love Buses!!! Was Nancy building your 40hp or are you doing it?

Bill Bowman

Nancy did do the 36hp long block originally in my truck. MAKING myself finish the '57 Oval engine before I get to it. Miss driving my oval.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Bummer.

Just wondering...even if the valve broke off wouldn't the keepers stay on and push the stem against the rocker by taking up the .006"?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Bummer.

Just wondering...even if the valve broke off wouldn't the keepers stay on and push the stem against the rocker by taking up the .006"?

I would think so. Going to be interesting to see what is in there. Whatever happened, happened quick. Something would have have had to "stick" suddenly to give these keepers a chance to jump out of the spring cup. Yes, it had been a runner for 20 years, but I'd guess only a bit less than 20k miles on it and I was always pretty good about setting valve clearances periodically. I was also expecting possibly an issue with #3 exhaust, the "hot" one, but it wasn't....

Unfortunately it will be a while, I want to get this truck and my oval back on the road with rebuilt original engines before I'll have a chance to tear this one down.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Did you find the keepers in the valve cover area?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Did you find the keepers in the valve cover area?

Yes, found both halves.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
BulliBill wrote:
Hi John and Ardie!

Aren't you glad we got you to come over to the dark side of the VW hobby! I love Buses!!! Was Nancy building your 40hp or are you doing it?

Bill Bowman

Nancy did do the 36hp long block originally in my truck. MAKING myself finish the '57 Oval engine before I get to it. Miss driving my oval.

So. Here we are.

I had been "meaning" to get started on the SC's original engine but had also been enjoying driving the '57 Oval Beetle with it's newly rebuilt, original engine in it. So much so, that I was hired by a local casting agency and have now been paid to take part in an HBO Max series shoot with it 3 times so far (sorry, under contract not to divulge the particular production, but on one shoot I got to drive through a scene 5-6 takes).

Fast forward to last week, when I get an e-mail from the casting agency the "Production" (Time Warner) wants my oval at a particular shoot Aug 18th. Of course I agree.

Then, I take the oval for it's longest ride so far (I have been flat towing it too the shoots), a 60 mile round trip to a VW show in a neighboring state. On the way up, the oil light comes on. On the highway. At 55 mph. I stop. Idle sounds sweet, not overheating. Stop again to check, no bad signs. Dump the oil, replace with 20-W50. No issues going to the show, but on the way home, a bad rattle/rap under load at low RPM. Home, in the shop, something is BAD knocking inside. Only about 200 miles on it.

So, plan is to finish building up the '56 SC's engine in the next couple weeks. Only longblock up stuff. Cleaning, no painting. Carb, dist, and fuel pump already restored by Ed Fall. And get it in the Oval Beetle for the Aug 18th shoot.

So Lori's engine will save the day here, and then be installed back in the single cab soon after. I really have missed driving that truck. 2022 is going to be a great year for us, for many reasons. More pics to come.

Made an oil cooler leak tester today, the oil cooler showed NO leaks! Generator is cruddy, but should clean up nice. No plating!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Looking good John. How are you planning to sympathetically clean the generator?
Not good on the knocking though - I’ll be interested to hear what the issue is

Last edited by bally on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Yes, same process. Cleaning, but no painting or plating of anything. Probably just some light pressure washing and mild solvent clean. Will post here about the oval's engine when I tear it down.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Looking good John. How are you planning to sympathetically clean the generator?

I'm putting a sorta authentic looking Stale Air 40hp together to fit my December 1955 single cab. (hoping to break the 50mph barrier?)
Never had any parts that old and the original to the truck parts long gone.
With my generator, I found pretty old one and wire wheeled it, Used CLR on the severe rust then sprayed a couple coats of non gloss rattle can clear. Seemed about the look I was hoping for: faded, but OE shiny? I'll post picture soon.
Vanagons:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

HUGE progress today, what I call "grime day"....

Every once in a while I come up with an idea to solve a problem and am thrilled with the results. Later, I figure that someone else has probably already done this.... but I truly did come up with the idea on my own.

Problem: The "California Crud" as I call it. I think it is a mix of fine dust/sand, and engine oil, then baked on over many, many years. As I said earlier, this engine was quite possibly the cruddiest engine that I have ever seen. This crud just laughed at my pressure washer. "Please. Go home with that sh^t".

I had this idea to boil some water and immerse the parts in it... but at first I couldn't think of a steel bucket/pot big enough. Then I remembered that my wife had bought one of those steel tubs and (2) that I had made a floating heater out of an 1800 watt element years ago to keep a hottub with failed electronics from freezing up in the winter. Luckily, I found both in the basement. Later, I remembered buying some Zep "Purple" degreaser and found that too. I first tried my test part with a baby fryolater that i had that could boil a quart or so of water really fast. Once I saw that the crud on the fuel pump drip pan softened and could be wire brushed off, I decided to heat up the water tub.

Took hours to come up to good heat, and I poured maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of a gallon of the Zep degreaser in it. WOW. Amazing. 97% of the crud could be brushed off real easily. Almost turned to brown mud in most areas. I used nylon and brass bristle brushes mostly as not scratch/scrape off the paint. A few places needed a stiffer stainless steel bristle brush. And only in 1-2 places where the tin was right next to the J pipe flange to the heat was stuff truly cooked on and needed a putty knife to get off.

The generator was a chore, but I was able to completely disassemble it and soak the housing alone in the tub at the end of the day. Scrubbed it inside an out. At that point the water was so hot, I had to use a leather glove to hold the part else it would burn my hand. I used a magnet on a piece of coat hangar wire to fish parts out. At the end of the day it was also clear that the effectiveness of the degreaser was waning. But I finished a HUGE pile of parts with perfect "cleaned, but not restored" patina. Check out the last pic! I think all I have left to do is the fan shroud and cooling ring.

There is a weird V shaped tear in the bottom of one of the tin shoeboxes. Would love to know the story on that!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab

Last edited by johnshenry on Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: