Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Old_Guyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

I have a 1971 super beetle I have been working on. The previous owner had a camera installed, but it was on a switch and is no longer properly connected. I was interested in connecting the back up camera to the reverse light so that when the car is switched to reverse it automatically turns on the camera. Can some please walk me through how to properly do this? Thanks in advance!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

You might be able to add a relay to the reverse wiring, so when the reverse lights go on, the relay turns on the camera.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

The reverse switch is on the trans., just figure out which terminal is hot and use that or tap into back up light at rear of car.
The_Old_Guyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The reverse switch is on the trans., just figure out which terminal is hot and use that or tap into back up light at rear of car.

Wiring is brand new to me, what wire from the camera would I use to tap into the back up light with? There is black, red and a video (yellow) wire. I assume it is either the black or red. However, both are required to be in the back of the radio I am using. Do i just splice near the back up camera with one of the wires and continue to run the remains portion to the radio? or does it just go to the back up light only?
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

SO,

I posted a response in an effort to assist with your request (now deleted), however, the post was to address the camera power issue and allow for reverse light switch input.

After reading your last post, you stated that the camera is connected to a radio, which may prove my proposed solution was incorrect.
Does the camera connect to the radio for power or video?

Please specify the model of the radio and camera, so I or others may attempt to post a possible solution to your issue.

Thanks
The_Old_Guyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:
SO,

I posted a response in an effort to assist with your request (now deleted), however, the post was to address the camera power issue and allow for reverse light switch input.

After reading your last post, you stated that the camera is connected to a radio, which may prove my proposed solution was incorrect.
Does the camera connect to the radio for power or video?

Please specify the model of the radio and camera, so I or others may attempt to post a possible solution to your issue.

Thanks

There is a positive and negative wire for the back-up camera in the radio. Additionally there is a video cord, just a yellow plug. However, the video plus says it's for a front camera.
The_Old_Guyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

I will upload pictures to try and show what I am dealing with.

Last edited by The_Old_Guyyy on Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Old_Guyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From the back up camera the red and yellow cable heads are put on adapters to turn to positive and negative wires. The black from the video (yellow) cable goes up the driver side and at somepoint is spliced into the white wire in the last picture (which was originally hooked up to a switch. The rest of the wires are run to the driver side back up light. The single red wire is spliced to a white wire and goes up with the other black and red one to that tail light. Then as seen in picture 3 the positive are spliced with the blue wire which I know is the back up light wire and the single negative wire is connected to the wire that was painted red but i believe is yellow or brown. From this point whoever did it connected the black and painted red wire to a blue wire that runs up the car (same blue seen in picture 2) and turns into what I assume is the video wire seen in picture 4. The white wire in picture 5 is the black wire on the left side in picture 2. Finally the black wire in picture 5 is connected to the fuse box. Additionally there are a positive and negative back up camera wire coming from the radio that is currently not connected (the radio is new) and a video in wire that says front camera that is currently not connected to anything. I was unable to locate the reverse light switch as my car is just on the ground and where it is i believe is being covered by an aftermarket AC part. That is also why I lose sight on the blue wire. Any help and guidance is much appreciated. Sorry if this seems like it is all over the place.

Edit: The positives were connected to the blue wire that is at the top of picture 3 and runs half way up the driver side of the car. Then as it crosses to the passenger side, sight is temporary lost on it and turns into the video and positive wire seen in picture 4
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

Model numbers of camera and radio please.
Where is the display located?

Thanks
The_Old_Guyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:
Model numbers of camera and radio please.
Where is the display located?

Thanks

There was no model number or anything on the camera, it was already attached to the beetle when I got it as well. It just had 2/3 of the RCA connections, red and yellow. The radio is by atoto and is model: S8G1A84SD(3G+32G)
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

I would just take it to a Car Toys and pay them $25.00 to hook it up.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Camera Install to Reverse Light Reply with quote

It appears that your current setup is mostly correct, if the power wire to camera is connected to the BLUE VW wire. This would provide PWR in Reverse and/or also provide a Reverse "trigger" to the head unit to switch to REAR camera.
I was unable to obtain much info on your specific unit, so I cannot provide specifics, unfortunately.

The video line (YELLOW connector) should be a shielded wire like a typical RCA connector, from the camera to the head unit for video. Your head unit should have an RCA jack for the video input. Your literature should state which jack this is on back of unit.
Why the shielded video cable is spliced to a white wire with a single connection, which doesn't appear to be a single conductor (it has ridges like a twisted pair), and doesn't continue forward, makes assisting that much more difficult.

In addition, the head unit should have some way of sensing REVERSE, through the power provided by the BLUE VW wire. Perhaps this is what the RED wire coming out of the YELLOW RCA plug is, check your literature.

My initial resolution was geared toward replacing your switch. Now with additional info, it would not have resolved your issue.

More info is better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: