Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Passenger side Windshield Wiper Pivot base removal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eamanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Passenger side Windshield Wiper Pivot base removal Reply with quote

Hello Samba,

My newly acquired 1987 Syncro came with the passenger side wiper pivot shaft ,where the threads are located, broken. I read on GoWesty that I could drill and tap the shaft to convert the nut into a bolt but that seems like it requires finess and steady hands that I believe I have but would like to prepare for failure. Therefore, my question to you is whether removal of the pivot base on the passenger side necessitates removal of the dash or if it is possible to remove the pivot base without dash removal? Please let me know if you happen to have completed this task or can shed any light on my situation please.

Thanks,

Eaman
Passenger:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Driver
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dodgerbleu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger side Windshield Wiper Pivot base removal Reply with quote

Did you figure this out? My driver's side pivot bolt is broken, not ideal!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger side Windshield Wiper Pivot base removal Reply with quote

I'm quite certain this requires the dash out, but would leave it to the clever folks here if someone's figured a work around.

Were it me, I'd have a welder weld on a new threaded section, then use a stack of washers if needed to have the bold tighten on clean threads, vs down where there might be a welding blob.

If not that, the drill and tap would be my second choice. You'll also want to clean those tapered grooves completely of the metal that accumulates there. They are supposed to dig into the wiper's cone shape for secure grip. I'd also get new wiper arms so they have a good surface to grip onto.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger side Windshield Wiper Pivot base removal Reply with quote

Remove dash, replace required parts, reinstall dash, and be happy for years!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
dodgerbleu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger side Windshield Wiper Pivot base removal Reply with quote

Thanks Doug!

My order of operations for rescue will be:

1. Try drill and tap and see if that holds
2. Install new pivot. I found a post (linked below) where a member was able to remove and replace the driver's side pivot by only removing the dash cluster and moving some vent hoses, so I'll try that if the drill/tap fails.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675604&highlight=wiper+pivot
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger side Windshield Wiper Pivot base removal Reply with quote

I believe it is his passenger side pivot that is FUBAR…

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger side Windshield Wiper Pivot base removal Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
I believe it is his passenger side pivot that is FUBAR…

2 different members asking.

I bet with patience you can remove the entire wiper assembly without removing the dash. But certainly you'd have to remove, the cluster, some duct and the glovebox. It would come out the passenger side foot well. The attachment bolts for the pivots other than the large nut around the pivot are bolts inside at the base of the windshield.

Removing the dashboard seems daunting, but if you stay organized is really not as bad as you might imagine. You can address other items while the dash is out. Not limited to just the squirter hoses. Good luck with the drill and tap. The trick will be to get it centered. There are transfer punches that you could use the base of the wiper arm to get you centered, but you still would need to drill square. Have someone watch the angle of the drill from the side while you keep it square side to side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: