Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official 1965 Bug Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Some really beautiful 65s posted in this thread. Very Happy
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Long term prediction: the strong majority of 65's that get posted here will be (or were originally) Bahama Blue. It seems to have been the most popular color for '65 (and perhaps even '66). All three '65s I have owned (still have two of 'em) were Bahama Blue, and not necessarily by choice, as two of them basically fell in my lap. But I do like the color.

Yes especially out west and in the dirty south where it's hot. You'll find alot of black 65s up north.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Geier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I'm,with you guys.
Seems like there are so many Bahama blue bugs representing those three years. In The South Bay Area where I'm at the other colors were not as plentiful. That Bahama color became a little less appealing when in 66 the interior went black. These days people are very curious about the color. What color is that? Is a popular question.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I agree when the interior became black on so many bugs they lost the appeal the earlier cars had. At least for me they did.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

you people be trippin right now. yall thought i was just gona let this shit end at page 2?? come on now give up the goods. theres at least half a million 65s left on this planet. half a mil dont fit on two samba pages.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I'll post a better pic once I finish repainting my wheels. Hahaha, my screen door makes it look like I live in the 'hood Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

[quote="Chickensoup"]Well I noticed this a while back, but I might as well start the thread now sense no one else has stepped up to the plate.

The '65 model year may the "boring" sibling among the early beetles, but I think they still need some love right? Although, the '65 was the last year of the 40hp, and the link/king pin front suspension among other various smaller aspects. So it does have some neat things going for it.

1965 Beetle is a fascinating and changing car.
In 1965 you have SIX Beetle models, seven if you want to count the Canadian version of the 1200"A"Custom.
So you have the 1200"A" ( former "standard" model ), then 1200"A" ragtop sunroof, the Euro 1200"A" Custom and all three of these models use the 36HP engine for the last time, and they are the last Beetles to have the pan that has the studs, claws, and wingnut to hold down the seats - they don't have seat tracks!
Then we have the deluxe beetle, the deluxe beetle with steel sliding sunroof and then the convertible. It's not the last year for the 40HP in a deluxe because in Europe for 1966 you can have a 1200 or 1300 in a deluxe So you see 1965 is a very exciting year. Just Imagine a 65 with a three spoke steering wheel that goes back to 1938, a 1200"A" Custom that uses the 1956-1959 deluxe steering wheel, and still using a 36HP engine with a manual choke, has 7.2 compression, fresh air heater boxes and a 40HP type muffler! no gas gauge of course, a 3/4 headliner and a driver only sun visor and only a manual interior light. No pussy assist bar for the ft passenger.
Yes 1965 is a exciting year.

The standard models all get the 40 hp engine in 1966 and seat tracks, and while all deluxe models get a double jointed IRS in 1969, those standard models continue with the 40HP and swing axle until the end of Beetles being built in Germany, in fact the very last beetle built in Germany was a 1200, 40HP swing axle built in the Emden plant January 1978. FYI 1974 would be the last year those standard models had 6 volt systems
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Nice picture busstom!

And thanks for the additional info Helfen. I learneded some ting knew tuday Wink
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
reicholzheimer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

This is my 65 Ruby Red VW I purchased 3 years ago. A German Lady married a GI after WW2 and returned on vacation and ordered this import vw while on vacation. In 1999 after her husband died she turned it in to the local Chrysler Dealership. The owner of the dealership in Litchfield Mn partnered with the local grocery store and held a raffle. Somebody won it and traded it to another man for a boat. The new owner pulled it behind his motor home for years to Arizona for winter. After a couple more owners I ended with a up with it in Florida. Great car with an original interior and a recent repaint. Only 81,000 miles with numbers matching motor.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

spectacular story and car! thanks for sharing!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Nice picture busstom!

Thanks. That's from Christmas 2017. I'd hoped it would make the "Christmas/Holiday" collection on the homepage rotation, but I haven't seen it appear the last few years yet. Anxious
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Nice picture busstom!

Thanks. That's from Christmas 2017. I'd hoped it would make the "Christmas/Holiday" collection on the homepage rotation, but I haven't seen it appear the last few years yet. Anxious

I sent it to Jen to see if it works.
Sometimes even awesome photos won't work due to the sizing/shape or they are unrecognizable once they are shrunk down

Edit: Jen said she will work on adding it to the collection. Score!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I sent it to Jen to see if it works.
Sometimes even awesome photos won't work due to the sizing/shape or they are unrecognizable once they are shrunk down

Edit: Jen said she will work on adding it to the collection. Score!

Excellent, thanks Everett! For sure we won't be able to make out the Christmas Story "leg lamp" in the front window Wink
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

ok lets see the next batch of 65's roll in Wink
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
jcolosim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Here is my Oct 1, 1964 fontana grey. Bought it in 1979 in high school. BC states it was sold to factory worker.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

jcolosim wrote:
Here is my Oct 1, 1964 fontana grey. Bought it in 1979 in high school. BC states it was sold to factory worker.

Cool. A VW factory worker?
Did you put the sunroof in, or did you get it like that?
jcolosim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
jcolosim wrote:

I bought it from someone who picked it up in California while going to school. They brought it back to Canada. I'm not sure how it got to California. It has the steering lock and had the Euro taillights. I put the sunroof in back in the 90s before originality was the thing.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

jcolosim wrote:
Busstom wrote:
jcolosim wrote:

I bought it from someone who picked it up in California while going to school. They brought it back to Canada. I'm not sure how it got to California. It has the steering lock and had the Euro taillights. I put the sunroof in back in the 90s before originality was the thing.

That's okay, I chopped my Bus in the 80's before "it" (originality, preservation, etc.) was the thing Smile
Your sunroof looks good from here.
Mohtly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Hi Boys & Girls. I've been a long time lurker here on the Samba. Never really posted anything before but am always reading on several forums here and used all your posts of various subjects to help us resurrect our "Charlie".
Glad to see a 1965 Registry ! I've been waiting...

Here is our 1965 Panama Beige Sedan. My wife's parents bought it new in 65. It's a long story but the wife and I did a 3 year restoration journey on it and brought it back to as close as we could to original. We have all the paperwork including the original purchase receipt ($2,027 out the door !). It's numbers matching with original engine and transmission as noted on the purchase receipt. We also managed to get Birth Certificate several years ago to support it's history.
We drive it every weekend weather permitting.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

That sir is a very very nice looking car! Interesting color too!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: