Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replica Kubelwagen. New project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

I'll be following this one as its local Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Blimey what a rigmarole putting up photos.
Been a while since last post, things have got underway nicely. Lots made and lots done. Here is result so far. More photos to show how it got this far coming later. Engine is 1200 ex Wehrmacht industrial.
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Raised spindles my way, loads of work... handy being a machinist.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Super cool spindles. Thanks for sharing.
Neil
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Thank you. Whilst I did some considerable planning to make them, most of what was done is a result of overcoming and finding solutions to the next snag that arose. Good lessons.
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

More pictures of the raised spindles. Basically using itself to machine itself.

ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

VERY cool work! Thanks for sharing. I'm needing to do this. Tried beam adjusters this summer and it didn't get close. I have a '59 bus gear reduction ready to install. Thanks so much for the pics!
Replica Kubelwagen mit MG34
Oval, 36hp und nichts anderes
Various modern Porsches
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

I have a 1960 bus transmission. In a previous post here I mentioned it needed narrowing. However, it does not.
Any other photos you need for reference or inspiration please let me know. Currently working on crossmember, it's mounts and engine tray. Getting back into sheetmetalwork. 🤯
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

This is rad! Those spindles and RGB work is epic!

I have Tyre envy too now, so they come in a 600-15?
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Tyres are 16". Made the wheels from centres of some repro 15" smoothies and Rover 16" x 4" spacesaver outside rims.
Bit of a pain job and extremely noisy on lathe. Turned out well and ultimately worth the grief.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Wow those spindles are interesting. It looks like you cut the spud off a ball joint spindle and welded on a link pin spud, then bolted/welded the hybrid spindle to a cut up link pin spindle. Is that the case? Very creative, I made some BJ lift spindles by cutting and welding up multiple BJ spindles but never thought of doing something similar to create a pseudo-barndoor spindle for a link pin beam.
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Petrol Punk, made from 4 link pin spindles in the end. I did cut down a ball joint spindle down for its spud but I encountered a problem that I cannot remember. Might be its length or not enough remaining material to on it work with. The extra bit on bottom that houses a bush and a short king pin was to beef it up a bit as I thought it looked a bit weak. The result nice as it looks a bit more like it should.
The whole thing was a bit of learn while doing, making the best of what you are given or have got.
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Very nice work. Did you fabricate the front beam, or is it original? I also see it appears that lever shocks will be used on the rear end. Amazing attention to detail.
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Vintagemx0, before I reply, I would like to thank you for your sharing of photos during your replica build. Very useful and very much an inspiration to do my own. Really good work.
Front beam is a 1960 bug, I cut the shocker towers off and just fabricated new ones. Adapted arm for short shocker too. Not sure what to do there yet but told a Bombardier snowmobil shocker can suffice. Yes, lever arm shockers going on, went for readily available (here in UK) off an MG B. Just had to extend arms.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: