Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocky Jennings Motor value
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Yeah, but... does it have hand planked rods?
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

There's still GoWesty...
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

I LOVE my RJE! Yeah,, first impression was,, Uh, WHAT? But, then, I realized that I was able to, if I wanted to, out accelerate quite a few other vehicles.
Rocky did a GREAT JOB of matching his hipo engine with street drivability.
AND! AA transaxle still warranteed my transaxle coupled up with an RJE.
I ain't in no road race,, but, if ya push me,, I'll make ya think twice bout messing with a crappy looking VW van loaded with an RJE...
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Why, for what? In California you can only have a 2.2 legally. If you do a conversion now you have to sort out all of the known Subaru issues.

I have one of each and at the end of the day I think the WBX is better. VW designed an engine specifically for the van. The power band is perfect, it's smooth and super dependable and does not die at stop signs.

You have an engine built by one of the best WBX guys around, I've never seen anything but Pos reviews about him.

In the 5 years and 20K miles I've had my van with the Subi conversion it's chucked a rod and lost a head gasket 600 miles from home. Sure my WBX has its days, but it always gets me home.

If you want to power up the hills buy a VR6 Eurovan with cold AC and some safety features. More important if you did this the Seattle Mafia would come after you with a dipstick.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want to power up the hills buy a VR6 Eurovan with cold AC and some safety features.

EuroBusses are for Wankers
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
pemz0r wrote:
So my engine is now worth double????!!!???

First Tencentlife stops...now RJ....who's left to fill the void?

Marco Mansi seems to have built and sold a few recently.
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Well, I put her on a dyno.. My 914 buddy said the numbers are good.. but I have no idea. I wanted to know how much hp would drop with the A/C on, so that's with Green line.

Link

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the Oil Temp and Oil Druck on the way back from the Dyno. I had the A/C on blast, and outside temp was 94 degrees.

Link

Last night

Link
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
pemz0r wrote:
So my engine is now worth double????!!!???

First Tencentlife stops...now RJ....who's left to fill the void?

Marco Mansi seems to have built and sold a few recently.

If I have the time I would like to do my own. I've been collecting parts along the way. New OEM Crank, Tencentlife's Cylinder heads and Kolbenschmidt bearings. Looking at Camshafts and rocker arms now. I will probably send the case to RJE to get checked, line bored and oil passage plugs.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Where is the temp sender located? I have a few.. my engine case shows 230+ some days, when the 'needle' shows nominal.

Also, this is a house on wheels, no? Go put a house on wheels on top of that Forester.. Hah.

Mentions of the 2.2 being the only street legal in Cali, not so fast.. Try the FAS one?

This all is funny, having seen a V-8 in the back of a bus before. Cadillac front wheel drive welded in back. Ugly. Moved ok? sure.

Back to the beginning, all in the foot of the driver. I actually like going the slower routes. On windy mountain roads, why would I want to go fast? I value my life, and the lives of others in my local vicinity. If I were the cause of a wreck, tumbled down the side of a mountain, and risked the lives of the rescue team, I'd sure feel low.

Keep the RJE, change your mind.

If you really want your question answered, it is like this: The dollars are what you get after painstakingly waiting, talking it up, having numerous people go No-show, try to talk you down, and make your life miserable. Then, you get the dollars from a person who you are willing to sell to, and all you have is dollars that then evaporate in a new even more risky path. Believe me, I've been nursing my kids along with their Subi swap for 3 years now. Ugh!

Like $4K, guessing someone will take it off your hands, after 6 months of waiting for a bigger fish.

-bobby
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

why not reach out to RJE and see if he can help re-home it? he may want to do a once over on it before he give it his blessing but he may have a customer looking for one.

not bagging you at all, but the dollars to HP/TQ just don't add up on these things to get one built properly. that is why so many swap.

anyway, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. you as a seller can swear up and down its a solid engine but the reality is a buyer is rolling the dice. it could puke it's guts 3 weeks after you sell it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:
Well, I put her on a dyno.. My 914 buddy said the numbers are good.. but I have no idea. I wanted to know how much hp would drop with the A/C on, so that's with Green line.

Link

Here's the Oil Temp and Oil Druck on the way back from the Dyno. I had the A/C on blast, and outside temp was 94 degrees.

Link

Last night

Link

That doesn't look anything like a 2.3L RJE build. Nothing. At. All.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Easy to say that but you present no evidence to support your opinion.
Please post what this should look like.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Why do you say that? 85whp is probably 100bhp. That's a fairly sizeable increase over the 90hp stock.

I mean, do I think a built wbx is worth it? No, of course not. But that's not the discussion. Does anyone have a stock 2.1 dyno? I am betting 75whp. Maybe 65awhp for a Syncro.
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Test drive an air-cooled westy and learn to appreciate what you have.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:

Link

85whp on a built motor... did i just accidentally stumble into the british roadster forums?
Question Shocked Razz

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
THIS X's a hundred..
even my 1.8T likes/prefers to be in 3rd motoring up hills/passes..
it's alot easier on the components to keep the RPMs up vs try to force the power into the drivetrain at lower rpms in 4th gear..
with the turbo I have it makes extra (unneeded) heat..
Ahwahnee wrote:

I see so many drivers fail to take advantage of the power that lives at higher revs -- up-shifting way to soon and too often -- then commenting on the lack of power.

Ditto for me! It just mechanically feels better.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

What kind of heresy is this? People are questioning my opinion? Has the world gone mad?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What kind of heresy is this? People are questioning my opinion? Has the world gone mad?

An opinion is one thing, we are talking hard evidence on measured output.

Do you have supporting evidence to validate your condemnation of this engine?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

I'd like to know more about what blewed up my Manitou's Transmission?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I'd like to know more about what blewed up my Manitou's Transmission?

Stacy

Probably water intrusion..

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2...egUIARCxAg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: