Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
montytoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Just bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Just got this Karmann Ghia, it’s been garage stored for the last 30 years. I have documentation that says the engine was rebuilt close to when it was stored, but it supposedly ran for several months after rebuild. Looking for advise on what I need to do prior to trying to start it? Does gas tank need removed and cleaned first? Thanks for any advice!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jus bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

montytoo wrote:
Just got this Karmann Ghia, it’s been garage stored for the last 30 years. I have documentation that says the engine was rebuilt close to when it was stored, but it supposedly ran for several months after rebuild. Looking for advise on what I need to do prior to trying to start it? Does gas tank need removed and cleaned first? Thanks for any advice!

Tear it down and reseal otherwise youll be chasing leaks.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jus bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
montytoo wrote:

Tear it down and reseal otherwise youll be chasing leaks.

100% cars dont like to be sat for any length of time. The seals will be terrible and yes the fuel/brake lines will most probably need replacing. The tank may have rust in so I would take that out and have a look in.
1969 T2 Deluxe
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jus bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Just picked up a 1969 Coupe myself a month ago. Post some pictures and welcome to TheSamba!
montytoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jus bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jus bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba Ghia forum. Looks like your car is in nice shape. Great project. Looking forward to seeing and reading more.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jus bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Looks like a great driver! Mine is a just like yours. Has some rust but the KG is harder and harder to find. Prices are going up and up so consider it an investment and enjoy driving it while you wait on the ROI.
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jus bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

The paint looks flawless. Congrats and good luck on your project!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought home a 1969 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Congrats!
69's are the second best year!
FYI, That's a fairly valuable and rare steering wheel Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: