Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery charger that also acts as a power supply (SOLVED!)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply (SOLVED!) Reply with quote

I have the ProMariner ProSport from GoWesty and am not too satisfied with it. My complaint is that it measures voltage rather than current. I often have loads running inside my van that cause my charger to imagine the battery is still discharged. In some cases it will never kick down to float voltage and continues to charge at recovery voltage indefinitely, something like 14.8v. I figure that a suitable charger for my conditions will only look at voltage as its reference to go to float voltage. This by the way is what a “power supply” does. The battery charger and the power suppy have always been two separate animals. Is it possibly that with modern electronic technology someone is making what I want?

Last edited by Gnarlodious on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/powersupply/portPowerCharger12pip.php
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

The Victron IP22 can toggle between power supply and charger using the Bluetooth app. It will also continue charging your battery when in power supply mode. This may be what you are looking for.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncropatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

These shore chargers.
Available in the USA.
https://sterling-power.com/collections/marine-battery-chargers
I use the 12V30A model in my Syncro to charge 240Ah leisure battery bank and power to the fridge.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
The Victron IP22 can toggle between power supply and charger using the Bluetooth app. It will also continue charging your battery when in power supply mode. This may be what you are looking for.
Thanks, I ordered it! Just the feature of manually forcing float voltage by Bluetooth app was a deal maker for me.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Vanuber wrote:
Thanks, I ordered it! Just the feature of manually forcing float voltage by Bluetooth app was a deal maker for me.

Awesome! You will love it. The displays and controls on your phone are very enjoyable. Downside is you will want buy more Victron gear!
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
Vanuber wrote:

Awesome! You will love it. The displays and controls on your phone are very enjoyable. Downside is you will want buy more Victron gear!

Yep. Love my Victron toys. Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

Thanks, Vanuber. I’ve been running the Victron IP22 for over a month now and it’s just what I want. I can set it to “Power Supply” mode via the iPhone app and it runs at 12.6 volts when I’m plugged into shore power. The solar charge controller now handles the battery's recovery voltage and the "shore power" charger is just for long dark nights. In case of extended cloudy days I can always set the charger to manage the battery voltages.

I still have the Renogy solar controller but it looks like I can switch over to a Victron and use the same Bluetooth app as the charger does. That will allow me to get rid of the Renogy app.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Thanks, Vanuber. I’ve been running the Victron IP22 for over a month now and it’s just what I want. I can set it to “Power Supply” mode via the iPhone app and it runs at 12.6 volts when I’m plugged into shore power. The solar charge controller now handles the battery's recovery voltage and the "shore power" charger is just for long dark nights. In case of extended cloudy days I can always set the charger to manage the battery voltages.

I still have the Renogy solar controller but it looks like I can switch over to a Victron and use the same Bluetooth app as the charger does. That will allow me to get rid of the Renogy app.

Good to hear you are liking the IP22! I have a Victron SmartSolar MPPT controller. You can network this with the BMV-712 and the IP22 through the Bluetooth app so they talk to each other and share voltage readings. I am still exploring the benefits, so the jury is still out on the "intelligence" of the system. But it is certainly nice to have it all in one app.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
Victron SmartSolar MPPT controller.
Question on that. How much light does the box emit during the night?

The Renogy I have shows a “no current” condition with three (3) green LEDs, which is pretty annoying at night when I am trying to sleep. So far I’ve been draping a cloth over the thing. Ideally I want a unit that is totally dark at night. A bad design by Renogy, I’d say.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Vanuber wrote:

The Renogy I have shows a “no current” condition with three (3) green LEDs, which is pretty annoying at night when I am trying to sleep. So far I’ve been draping a cloth over the thing. Ideally I want a unit that is totally dark at night. A bad design by Renogy, I’d say.

Black electrical tape is your friend.
Many an idiot light is quieted with black tape.

Smile

EDIT: I wanted to ask, for my own clarity. The Blue Smart IP22 Charger will act as shore power when plugged in. Do I have that right? I want to be sure before I order one. I am not happy with my 1987 RV style converter unit. It big, heavy and kill what could be a drawer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks all.
Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:
Blue Smart IP22 Charger will act as shore power when plugged in. Do I have that right?
Yes, it is either a 120VAC smart charger or a power supply depending on its setting in the Bluetooth app. As a smart charger it follows a charging profile depending on your battery settings. As a power supply it doesn’t need a battery and puts out a constant voltage.

In my case, the solar charge controller took over the task of battery “smart charger” so all I need from a shore power charger is (usually) some backup, especially at night or rainy days. The one I have is only 15 amps, I took a power downgrade on the shore power because the panels put out 30 amps (allegedly).

The main thing, as I figured, is that the batteries need a periodic “recovery charge” to stay healthy, and the solar controller does that pretty well.

ADDENDA:
I took a screenshot of the app where you set the function:

9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
9.5isCanadian wrote:
Blue Smart IP22 Charger will act as shore power when plugged in. Do I have that right?
Yes, it is either a 120VAC smart charger or a power supply depending on its setting in the Bluetooth app. As a smart charger it follows a charging profile depending on your battery settings. As a power supply it doesn’t need a battery and puts out a constant voltage.

In my case, the solar charge controller took over the task of battery “smart charger” so all I need from a shore power charger is (usually) some backup, especially at night or rainy days. The one I have is only 15 amps, I took a power downgrade on the shore power because the panels put out 30 amps (allegedly).

The main thing, as I figured, is that the batteries need a periodic “recovery charge” to stay healthy, and the solar controller does that pretty well.

ADDENDA:
I took a screenshot of the app where you set the function:

Thanks for the explanation.
Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Vanuber wrote:

I am not sure as mine is mounted behind the driver's seat, so the lights are not visible at night. I can check next time I am in the van at night.

My build thread is here if you want to check out the mounting location: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753211&highlight=

EDIT - that "VE.Smart networking" tab is where you can set up networking with your BMV and solar controller
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply (SOLVED!) Reply with quote

Nice diagram! Question. What is the porpoise of the DC-DC charger?
nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply (SOLVED!) Reply with quote

I get the desire for an 'automatic' smart charger.

The thing about smart chargers, is most, have No IDEA, how much of their charge current is actually powering loads, and how much of that output is actually charging the battery.

They can be easily fooled when one turns off a load, and they go into premature float, well before the battery is fully charged, or if there is a continuous load, and are waiting for amperage output into battery to fall to a certain level, can maintain high voltage well after the battery is indeed fully charged.

I got so sick of both of these screwing my batteries into premature demises, I went to an adjustable voltage power supply for ALL charging, and power supply duties.

The Key is to know When, to lower voltage from absorption to float.

When the amps INTO the battery, not the total amperage output of the power supply, taper to x amount, then that battery can be considered fully charged.

Some batteries will say when the amperage tapering, at absorption voltage slows to X amount then consider it fully charged.

Basically if you have an ammeter reading amps into the battery, you can set your power supply to 14.4 to 14.7v, add or subtract a little for ambient temperature, and usually 4.5 to 8 hours later, know you will be truly fully charged, and then lower voltage to float.

if you cant be there when this 'end amp' level will be achieved, then just set it to float, then when you can, bump it back upto absorption until amps taper to the prescribed level. One will often find that 48 hours at float voltage, when one bumps voltage upto 14.7v, it takes 45+ minutes for amps to taper to the prescribed level proving that float voltage, or perhaps any voltage below absorption on a more aged battery, was not able to fully charge that specific battery.

I've been using a Meanwell rsp-500-15 since september 2014. Its got 40 amps available for any voltage I choose between 13.12 and 19.23v
I live full time, 24/7. It has many housands of hours on it, but I have modified it with a better adjustment potentiometer heatsinking and ventilation.
I can and do use it as a portable, when others start complaining about the need to constantly jumpstart their vehicle even after their Noco or Ctek was left on overnight the week previous.

My last battery I replaced was a northstar group 27 AGM . I got ~1200 deep cycles from it over 6 years and did not even start using the meanwell on it until it was 2.

About 150 of those deep cycles were down as low as 30% state of charge. but these deep discharges were almost always promptly followed by 40 amps and 14.7v held until amps tapered to 0.4 or less.

TPPL AGms seem to love and appreciate the occasional high amp blast from low states of charge, and will be 'tickled to death' with a trickle charge only regimen, despite how often grandpa repeated this old wives tale. Even the cheaper AGMS which recommend no more than 30 amps per 100Ah of capacity seem to greatly benefit from charge rates up this high, on occassion, from low states of charge.

The sheer amount of KWH my Northstar battery provided from purchase until replacement was impressive, and I attribute that to the adjustable voltage power supply, the ammeter, a smart phone's timer. $ per cycle, it beat any other battery previous, by a factor of at least 2, and it was a 400$ battery.

With enough experience one can set their timer for 4 or 5 or 6.5 hours, come back and find the amps tapered to near expected levels and reduce voltage to float with a flick of the wrist.

If one really wants a charger that can function as a power supply, consider that a power supply can be far more effective as a charger when one has an ammeter counting amps INTO THE battery, and the temperament to actually use it, and a timer.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Battery charger that also acts as a power supply (SOLVED!) Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Nice diagram! Question. What is the porpoise of the DC-DC charger?

The DC|DC charger draws current from the alternator to charge the house battery. It connects to the starting battery and draws current after the starting battery is topped off similar to the Yandina and BlueSea combiners. However, the smart DC|DC charger works with different battery chemistries and charging voltages. In my case, it will draw 13.2V or so from the alternator while charging my lithium house battery at around 14.0V.

This is a pretty good explanation - https://youtu.be/VOxmtT-ILKg
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: