Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pushrod Wear Acceptable?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

Ahh I see, sounds good. When I get back to the shop this weekend, and get the case back together, I'll flip the tubes and try the sharpie technique to see if I can get away with what I have or if I need to reach out to Tabari for rocker arms and make sure to get some better adjusters. I'm definitely going with lash caps this time around.

Thanks for the help this thing didn't come with instructions and I'm just trying to do things right. I appreciate it.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

Don't use lash caps with the adjuster (elephant foot swivel adjusters) at the valve.

Just use the lash cap if using with a rocker with the adjuster at the pushrod.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

I use lash caps on everything, Ive seen tomany effed up parts without them.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Don't use lash caps with the adjuster (elephant foot swivel adjusters) at the valve.

X2

You can buy stock rockers in the classifieds for $20. When I do stock rockers (very rare for me) I just bench grind .100" off the underside and add elephant feet adjuster. Screw the adjusters in as far as possible and the make pushrods to fit. Stock 1.1 rockers is the most ratio you should run with the 218 despite what others will say. The gains are not worth the potential pain to run more ratio.

Dan
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
74 Thing wrote:

X2

You can buy stock rockers in the classifieds for $20. When I do stock rockers (very rare for me) I just bench grind .100" off the underside and add elephant feet adjuster. Screw the adjusters in as far as possible and the make pushrods to fit. Stock 1.1 rockers is the most ratio you should run with the 218 despite what others will say. The gains are not worth the potential pain to run more ratio.

Dan

What's the drawback of running the 218 with the 1.25 rockers? Too much lift? Too little displacement? I'm just trying to understand how this all works together.

Thanks!
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

Snoww_ wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
74 Thing wrote:

X2

Dan

What's the drawback of running the 218 with the 1.25 rockers? Too much lift? Too little displacement? I'm just trying to understand how this all works together.

Thanks!

High lift is not a good idea with a stock style rocker, the rocker to valve angles get too extreme for good valve guide life. Higher lifts are more difficult for the valve springs to control requiring more spring tension which is harder on the train wear. Higher lift shortens valve spring life. Stock rockers were designed for .340" lift and work very well for that. Yes higher lifts will make a little more power but the cons out way the pros. Point is, you have to ask yourself, do I want to build a high maintenance race engine or something fun to own. To run more lift you need a different cam designed for 1.4 rockers. Conservative engine last longer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Snoww_ wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
74 Thing wrote:

X2

Dan

Thanks!

High lift is not a good idea with a stock style rocker, the rocker to valve angles get too extreme for good valve guide life. Higher lifts are more difficult for the valve springs to control requiring more spring tension which is harder on the train wear. Higher lift shortens valve spring life. Stock rockers were designed for .340" lift and work very well for that. Yes higher lifts will make a little more power but the cons out way the pros. Point is, you have to ask yourself, do I want to build a high maintenance race engine or something fun to own. To run more lift you need a different cam designed for 1.4 rockers. Conservative engine last longer.

Dan

That's great info, thanks for educating me Dan!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

What is the stock length of a push rod for a stock vw, 1600 motor. I've seen 10.935 and 11.060?
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
What is the stock length of a push rod for a stock vw, 1600 motor. I've seen 10.935 and 11.060?

I'm not sure, I had to order a set of 11.06 inch push rods for this motor but it's far from stock. Razz
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

Snoww_ wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
Snoww_ wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
74 Thing wrote:

X2

Dan
thus the reason to can the oe style rockers weather 1.1 or 1.24 and get the type that have the adjuster on the pushrod end of the rocker.

Thanks!

Dan

thus the reason to shit can the oe style rockers weather 1.1 or 1.25 and get the type that have the adjuster on the pushrod end of the rocker. much less thrust to the guide&stem.
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Snoww_ wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
Snoww_ wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
74 Thing wrote:

X2

Dan
thus the reason to can the oe style rockers weather 1.1 or 1.24 and get the type that have the adjuster on the pushrod end of the rocker.

Thanks!

Dan

thus the reason to shit can the oe style rockers weather 1.1 or 1.25 and get the type that have the adjuster on the pushrod end of the rocker. much less thrust to the guide&stem.

Do they make a 1.1 ratio with the adjuster on the pushrod? So far I can only find the OE style for 1.1.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrod Wear Acceptable? Reply with quote

Highjack,, Looks like these were flexing ?Rolling Eyes good old 'empi'

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: