Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got much needed urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Got much needed urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

We’re on our return way after a cross country trip. Just short of our stop for the night in Santa Fe, New México, a yuge SNAP! The clutch pedal went to the floor and didn’t come back! Shocked

That was yesterday. I just went under the bus hoping it was the cable for which I have a replacement. Found out the worst of my fears… the throw out bearing fork broke! I am now clutchless! Crying or Very sad

Normally I pretty much do nearly everything I have to do for my vehicles but I’m at a big loss here. Putting it out there in hopes of finding someone within the reasonable area that can help out! Pray

Last edited by pyrOman on Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Reply with quote

Hope getting the help you need.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

If you can make to Kirtland Air Force base in Albuquerque you can use the garage and welder but I can’t get away from work to come help.

Last edited by burnite2 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

Things are happening.. looking at first choice within the hour, second choice this afternoon! Thanks all! Cool
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

Prognosis is a busted throw out bearing and pressure plate. Should be back on the road tomorrow! Cool
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

Dont you know how to drive your bus without a clutch? Open road should be no problem.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Dont you know how to drive your bus without a clutch? Open road should be no problem.

busted clutch cable is not a big deal, i would drive that anywhere, but with a broken clutchplate, different story!

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

From NM where he is to So Cal has some huge elevation changes. Probably the biggest in the US. I can't believe people are like "yeah man just drive it" fucking posers
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
From NM where he is to So Cal has some huge elevation changes. Probably the biggest in the US. I can't believe people are like "yeah man just drive it" fucking posers

That grade up from Ocotillo can destroy a clutch plate in its prime.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Yeah, driving without a clutch is for flat ground when zombies are chasing you. Sure, it can be done, but it is hard on starters and syncros.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

I am 63 now and learned to drive in a 67 deluxe bus. I’ve also learned to break transaxles in half and drive in reverse all the way home. You name it and likely I’ve been through it at least twice! Laughing

Even though I considered towing it, it could not be the same as finishing the trip on its own! Cool
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
I am 63 now and learned to drive in a 67 deluxe bus. I’ve also learned to break transaxles in half and drive in reverse all the way home. You name it and likely I’ve been through it at least twice! Laughing

Even though I considered towing it, it could not be the same as finishing the trip on its own! Cool

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Full marks brother - for both statements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Begging for urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause

Keep us posted when you can pyrOman. You got this.

Riff Raff wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Full marks brother - for both statements.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Got much needed urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

So, it turns out that the throw out bearing disintegrated. Rolling Eyes

A couple of you, as well as some friends (yeah, believe it or leave it, I do have friends!) referred me to Fast Foreign Auto Service where Jim took care of the Dormy with a quickness! Shocked

The “set back” was a few bucks and a half a day of travel. But I did get going and finally reach Phoenix just after midnight. Smile

Again, thank you all for the quick help, concern and prayers! Cool
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Got much needed urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

That is great news pyrOman. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.
Have a fun road trip.

pyrOman wrote:
So, it turns out that the throw out bearing disintegrated. Rolling Eyes

A couple of you, as well as some friends (yeah, believe it or leave it, I do have friends!) referred me to Fast Foreign Auto Service where Jim took care of the Dormy with a quickness! Shocked

The “set back” was a few bucks and a half a day of travel. But I did get going and finally reach Phoenix just after midnight. Smile

Again, thank you all for the quick help, concern and prayers! Cool

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Got much needed urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

Nice to hear you will finish your roadtrip by driving. Thank you for sharing your pictures.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Got much needed urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

Yep! It's so nice to hear that you are rolling once again under your own power. Unless you hurled it across the shop parking lot, hopefully you'll post a shot of the destroyed throw out bearing. Thanks for posting up so many fun photos of your journey in your Splitty! Safe travels...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Got much needed urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

We’ve taken hundreds of pictures, mostly for the “through the split windshield” thread. This whole trip has been mostly for visiting family and friends. My doing all of the driving has kept me from posting pictures. The last leg will be tomorrow. I will be posting pictures later. Cool
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Got much needed urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

A 63 year old man shouldda been able to pull the motor and make repairs...63 is the new 40.
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Got much needed urgent help! Santa Fe, NM area Reply with quote

Glad you're rolling again, Ivan!
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: