Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wheres the brake fluid going?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

this ones got me stumped. i fill my fluid resivoir and drive to town and back, eight miles each way, no stop signs or lights. i have a beer and check the mail and head home. the resivoir is still full and no leakage signs around the wheels. wake up in the morning and all the fluid is gone?...??? i live in dirt so theres no use checking the ground but everything on the car apears dry, around mastercylinder and along tunnel with the horribly exposed brake line running along it, tell me thats not stock! the pasanger floorboard next to the bulkhead has a goodsized oily spot but it doesnt seem to grow and i dont see where that would come from. the resivoir seems dry enough and the hoses that come from it are dry and tight...so wheres the fluid come from and go to when the thing is parked over night?...also i can bleed and bleed and bleed these brakes and they never come up to full pressure...what gives? pints on me to the one who solves the mistery
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest parking on top of some cardboard. Cheap and shows the leaks very quickly.

I have found that a self bleeder is so cool to use.
The fact that it never gets full pressure indicates a leak to me. You already know where to check. Does the car pull to one side at all? If there is a lot of dirt and dust in the brakes it could soak up the brake fluid.

You are welcome to stop by and get a few pints off my keg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mgalvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the same problem. Found oil along the side of the break line going towards the back, but couldn't find the leak.

I finally found the problem... Bought a master brake cylinder kit for $29. The rubber seals/washers inside were worn away - where it connects to the brake pedal into the master cylinder oil was leaking out.

michaelg
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suspect the master cylinder as well but just dont see signs of that much leakage, and odd thats its when im not driving that the fluid loss takes place...the resevoir half for the front leaks faster or more than the half for the rear...weird shit lads i tell ya...with the rains a commin and all the cardboard trick is pointless till next july, but i hear ya and when my curent keg of hard cider is dust...ill come look ya up!...just hold one out for me as i zip by cuz i wont be stoppin...
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id guess it is leaking into the the pan where the brake pedal push rod comes thru. There is a void there. My old MC was leaking, and that is where most of the brake fluid ended up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoThingNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hope your tunnel isn;t rusting out with the brake fluid rlling down towards the engine supports.

It's pretty common with the Super Beeltes when the seals wear

John
04 Jetta TDI
05 Jetta GLI
82 SC Targa:)
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

I am having exactly the same problem. I will look into replacing the master cylinder. Definitely running down the tunnel and leaking out of the hole in the middle below the inspection area.

Almost a 10 yr old thread thought I would bring it back to life!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

Mine was fixed with a master cylinder.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoThingNC wrote:
Just hope your tunnel isn;t rusting out with the brake fluid rlling down towards the engine supports.

John

Flush with WD-40 after you remove old MC and before you replace it.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

I just noticed this on my 73 this weekend,

been working my my dad's old 1951 F1 Ford pickup for the past few months.

Only been able to get the THING out a few times this year.

Well, started it up and backed out and hit the brakes and there were none!
noticed no fluid in the reservoir and couldn't find any signs under the car of a leak.

Well I finally found it in the front pan area. I've not pulled anything yet but found this older post and it sounds like my issue but i've not dove into it yet.

I've got front disk brakes [AC industries kit] that I added on this THING back in 2008 but I left the M/C as is.

I did get a M/C with the kit that I still have but i'd heard they tend to be junk and don't use them...

so, any suggestions on where to get a new German made M/C or does it matter anymore?

Here was the link that referred to using a German m/c if possible:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231500&highlight=disk+brake+kit
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

What do you mean “front pan area”?

In the pan head?

On the plate under the master cylinder, behind the front beam,

On the floor pan, under the pedal assembly?

Under the carpet (if any) where your feet would be? If here, I would suspect the brake line going to the rear of the car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

hey TDCTDI,

I ment the plate under the master cylinder, behind the front beam,
directly under the gas tank.
No noticeable fluid in the driver cabin area at all.

There's a few round holes in that plate, looking at it from underneath,
but nothing of anything noticed till I put my hand up in there and it was super soaked.

I hope to know more when I dig into it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

On that side, I would suspect:

1: a leak from the hoses leading from the fluid reservoir.

2: The grommets where those lead into the master cylinder.

3: the brake light switches.

4: the brake line that runs to the rear may possibly have rusted through or chafed through where it passes through the body.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

Thanks TDCTDI,

I'm hoping for some saturday garage time I'm going to dig in to this.

Just curious but if i do need a new m/cyl,

what's a good source for decent german parts if they still make em?
or
does it matter any more?
I know this orig post was aged and back then brazillian and china made MC's were not considered the best quality...
or so i've read.

Thanks for any info!

T
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

The master cylinder itself is not likely to leak on that side, find your leak first.

However, how old is the master cylinder? They will rust internally in the part of the bore that doesn’t get used & when the pedal goes to the floor, the pistons push into this area & it damages the seals, this can lead to a pedal that loses pressure once the system is repaired. Doesn’t happen all the time, but it is a possibility.

doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

Hey Thanks good to know!

The MC is one item i've not mucked with on this car.

Unknown age on the MC, I bought it in 2008, best guess this car got redone back in 1999 I believe. (from prev owner story).

I'm going to get in the garage tomorrow for a while I'll report back what I find.

Thanks again for the info!

T
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

Ok, managed to do some diagnosing Saturday.

I have residue from brake fluid leakage directly under the old M/C and Some on the inside behind the pedal cluster.

Now, I cleaned up everything as best I could. Refilled the reservoir, pumped the brakes and got a decent pedal back, with no signs of any leaks at the moment.

At first I thought it may be one of the brake pressure switches for the brake lights as the wiring was damp.

Inside the cabin, I also noticed the brake pedal return spring is broken.

From my parts book to replace that spring, that sounds like a complete pedal dis-assembly/rebuild or replacement to get to the spring (and needing a press and such).

Apparently I am finding rebuilt pedal assembly units for sale so that's good, not sure I have the tools to break this thing apart and re-assemble it.

Weird thing is NOW the M/Cs not leaking so I'm going to keep an eye on it for drips, I put a small piece of cardboard under the M/C and a fresh paper towel on the inside and I'll test pump the brakes on occasion and see if I can monitor a leak.

Also Looking at a spade connector cleaning tool, the brake pressure switch connections are a tad green.

https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Products-8040-3-Piece-Terminal/dp/B0062Y599K

All the lines and connections that run across the hump under the gas tank look good, no sign's of leaks on them, just remnants on the floor area under the gas tank.

So, if I have to replace the pedal assembly,
Probably should redo the M/C too
Clean and try to repaint what I can.
>Still need a good source for a good/brand/made M/C
I do have the one that came with the A.C Industries kit but it's made in china and I was advised at time of install not to go with that due to it's quality. It is still brand new/in the bag so If I cant find a good source I guess it's plan b.

I'm open for any suggestions here. My best guess is that it's the brake pressure switch (front one in the photo) OR due to the return spring being broken by not fully returning the pedal maybe it developed a leak?
Thanks in advance!
T

[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[img][/img]
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

Just a reminder,

I do have the A.C industries front disk brake kit with rear drums.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

The brake pedal return spring is not the cause and yes, you need to take the pedal cluster out and knock out the roll pin with a good punch and ball peen hammer and disassemble to put on the new spring.

It may vary well be leaking through one of the brake switches on the master (even through the plastic terminal area). My suggestion would be to disconnect the electrical plugs to these switches and clean all of the fluid with brake cleaner then zip tie a blue shop towel or paper towel over the switch and then let it sit for a few days and see if either one is leaking.

There are a lot of crappy quality switches out nowadays!
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: wheres the brake fluid going? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
The brake pedal return spring is not the cause and yes, you need to take the pedal cluster out and knock out the roll pin with a good punch and ball peen hammer and disassemble to put on the new spring.

It may vary well be leaking through one of the brake switches on the master (even through the plastic terminal area). My suggestion would be to disconnect the electrical plugs to these switches and clean all of the fluid with brake cleaner then zip tie a blue shop towel or paper towel over the switch and then let it sit for a few days and see if either one is leaking.

There are a lot of crappy quality switches out nowadays!

Hey 74 Thing, thanks for the response,
yeah this one is weird to have "leaked" and now once refilled, not leak.
I've not driven it yet like this but I've pumped the pedal quite a few times, let it sit and repeated but so far nothing.
Thanks about the spring fix, I'll give it some time for the leak and then try to pull all that out and fix the spring.
T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: