Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires - Harder to find 102-104 load index in Canada
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreatWhiteNorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Tires - Harder to find 102-104 load index in Canada Reply with quote

Read up the tire posts and discovered up here that the Nokian's are all out of stock. So far only a few alternatives that are in stock or on the way...
I bought some Passat MKIV alloy 16" rims and the hub size is a perfect fit as well at the 112 bolt pattern. I have them on with the original 2008 tires with a load index of 91 (YUCK).
So far I find:

Vredestein Quatrac - Size: 225/60R16 all Season
Load Range: XL 102H UTQG: 400 A A $127.75 each
In stock later this month....

Falken WildPeak A/T Trail - Size: 215/65R16 On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
Size: 215/65R16 Load Range: XL 102HUTQG: 680 A A $128.00 each

Hankook Kinergy 4S2 - Size: 215/65R16 Grand Touring All season
Load Range: XL 102V UTQG: 500 A A $110.11 each

I suspect the Falken will be noisy cruising down the highway, I have never heard of Vredestien and well there is Hankook.
What a PITA finding a the load rating for the 1992 Westphalia camper. No one seem to have stock up here.
235 are probably too wide and will rub and I am not modify the Eurovan to fit them....will at load rating of 98 suffice? I am not found of varying from the manufacture specs and 104 is impossible to find here.
Suggestions appreciated.
Was thinking of going with the Hankook. Never ran that brand before...the 225/60R16 in Hankook drop to a load rating of 98 in this size.
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tires - Harder to find 102-104 load index in Canada Reply with quote

I don't have many miles on the Quatrac 5s on my Volvo but they drive nicely in good weather and were very well reviewed for bad weather driving. Didn't need much weight to balance which I take to be a sign that someone was paying attention when they were made. Unlike the Nokian entune 2.0s on our EV...

I replaced the Nokians with 100-rated Yokohama Geolanders in 235 having found that tire very satisfactory on our 4runner. Fit fine on our 2003 MV and the difference in rating doesn't bother me but YMMV. If I had seen the Vredesteins in the correct size I would have gone with them based on our Volvo experience.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Harder to find 102-104 load index in Canada Reply with quote

You should also look at snow tires. Most of the studless snow tires have a xl option. Weird that there are more xl tires in winter compound than all season.
GreatWhiteNorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Harder to find 102-104 load index in Canada Reply with quote

Yeah its weird. I did find Bf-goodrich ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 (4 SEASONS WINTER APPROVED) LT215/65R16 - 103/100S (8 ply) but they are 65....so
Vredestein Quatrac 225/60R16 4 season tire it is...thank you for your replies!
GreatWhiteNorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Harder to find 102-104 load index in Canada Reply with quote

I ended up going with a Nokian WR C3 commercial tire.
Specifically LT215/65R16 107/109R
Van looks great with the Passat MKIV alloy rims.

The distributor here in Canada for Veredistien was just going to take to long to get (10 days to the dist. and then 4-7 days to me). KAL Tire got me the tires the next day and installed.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tires - Harder to find 102-104 load index in Canada Reply with quote

GreatWhiteNorth wrote:

The distributor here in Canada for Veredistien was just going to take to long to get (10 days to the dist. and then 4-7 days to me). KAL Tire got me the tires the next day and installed.

Vredistien isn't a common tire here in North America but they're widely used in Europe.

The same could be said of Nokian 5-10 years ago but they've made a real push here. I bought a set of Nokians for our Passat wagon. 120TKM tread wear warranty! So far so good.
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Harder to find 102-104 load index in Canada Reply with quote

GreatWhiteNorth wrote:

I am curious if you talked to Kal Tire about the Nokian Rotiiva AT vs the WR C3.

I was looking at the Rotiiva vs Falken Wildpeak Trail but now looking closer at these WR C3's.

We have a 2001 MV Weekender that has some dedicated winter tires on it (Michellin with 102 rating) when we bought it early this summer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: