Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

I gave up breeding fish, couldn’t get any offspring.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I think you still need a woman or a lab for that to breed. Reconsider your “Fish” Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I think you still need a woman or a lab for that to breed. Reconsider your “Fish” Wink

Why would I want to abuse a dog that way? Or am I searching for the Get Lucky Lab?
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

unusually cool here today for this time of year with low humidity. Last night in the 60's Today 70's during the day. heard some places north and north west of me in the mountains were in the 40s overnight!!

even this week they are saying low 80s. Ill take that for August
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Still 80 at night, 100+ in the day. Every day

We expect this to go on through August as it does every year in Fresno county.

We don’t have any big fires going on right here, but there is smoke in the sky from the High Sierra.

By county fair time in early October, we should have enough rain to dampen the fires, and it should be cool enough to go out in the day for hours.

But who knows what’s gonna happen now?
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

You’re not holding your mouth right.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Mid 90's this week, and the smoke is very very thick. Many fires in the nearby mountains, with some evacuations happening recently. I have friends that have all their shit packed up and ready to go. We might have a yard full of trailers and a house full of guests at some point. I live in town, with little danger of a rampant wildfire, so we can feel somewhat safe in that regard.

We did have some light rain over the weekend, and it felt nice/smelled nice, but it did little to relieve the overall situation. Supposed to cool off and rain a little bit this weekend, but we likely won't see any real precipitation until October.

Air quality in the high 100's right now. Could easily reach over 200 depending on conditions.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

sled wrote:
for all y'all complaining, heres my reality. Driest spring since the late 1800's and unprecedented early summer temps (112F) has lead to a very early and very nasty fire season. Some fire experts say our two big fires will burn 'till the snow falls.

your expensive sod lawn, aquariums, and trees don't matter that much Wink

I missed this post. Damn Jake, that is spooky. I looked on the Inciweb firemap and saw how close those fires are to you. I know North Central Washington seems to always have fires burning in the summer, but this time does seem a little different.

Stay safe, and breathe carefully.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

The temperatures have been hot and dry here with cool nights but every afternoon getting up to 105F. The air has been pretty clear here lately, but once in a while we get random smoke down the mountain.

A while back I heard about something called the Tamarack fire and I started freaking out, because we live right down the mountain from Tamarack Ridge. There was already a huge fire just below there and the place looks horrible. 900 houses and other structures were destroyed in the Creek Fire which started up around the local Big Creek powerhouse area. Again that is right up the mountain from me. (not to be confused with the official big creek fire which was somewhere far from me. California has so many fires they’re just gonna have to start numbering them.)

As it turns out, this Tamarack fire was on the California/Nevada border south of Lake Tahoe, a distance like from Portland to Seattle from me. But that’s incredibly rugged terrain and they are fighting fires up there somehow. I have been through all those high passes in the sierra Nevada on my motorcycle, and they are ragged and rough.

And there are a lot of them.

Finally, I am sad to report that the fire captain who has been my next-door neighbor for three years now has moved away. You can hear some amazing stories from those guys.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

And here we go again with the 100 plus temps. Thursday/Friday temps here are supposed to be above 100.
Not as hot as in June. But still uncomfortable for the PNW.

If ya'll live in this region. Start preparing now. Buy a fan. AC unit if you can afford one, or two.
I have a small window unit. It saved me during the 118 temps. I just closed all the non occupied spaces and cooled the living room.

Contact your neighbors when it's real hot and make sure they are doing ok.

This shit is gonna go on for at least 2-3 days.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

We finally had some much needed rain over the weekend. It was glorious, and cool, and damp, and clear air with no smoke. For two days. Supposed to hit triple digits by Friday.

Fuckin' yippee!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

rain hear just about daily . one of my kids up in tennasee just told me possiable herbiecane" fred "direct hit for me on monday...or tropickel storm. ypiikiayai!! she said it's pouring up there in Memphis. back to you dennsing!!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Hot, smoky, and overall unpleasant. Air quality index hit 283 last night. As I understand it, it tops out at 300.

My chest hurts from breathing smoke, and my old A/C unit keeps tripping the overheated circuit breaker.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Our daughter in Portland reported 101 degrees yesterday. They have *two* portable a/c units and that keep their bedroom and living room cool. They both work remote so that keeps their two "offices" tolerable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Hot, smoky, and overall unpleasant. Air quality index hit 283 last night. As I understand it, it tops out at 300.

My chest hurts from breathing smoke, and my old A/C unit keeps tripping the overheated circuit breaker.

Much the same here, my power bill is going to be awesome next month. Confused
Not quite as hot today thanks to the smoke, I pity the people downwind from all the fire zones who have been getting this for the last 6 weeks every day, up until the last couple days the coast has been reasonably clear of smoke.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Much the same here, my power bill is going to be awesome next month. Confused
Not quite as hot today thanks to the smoke, I pity the people downwind from all the fire zones who have been getting this for the last 6 weeks every day, up until the last couple days the coast has been reasonably clear of smoke.

We have fires in all directions, so it really doesn't matter which way the wind blows. But right now, most of ours is coming from afire that is about 10 miles East of us. When it does clear up a little (such as after last weekend's brief rain) we can see the smoke columns from our front yard.

Just swapped out the breaker. As I did so, I found what may have been a bad connection where the black lead was clamped into the breaker (220v 20 amp). I replaced it anyway, and so far, so good. The old A/C is a bit loud, and I am sure it is sucking down the juice, but it works to keep the main room cool and clear of smoke.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
......I am sure it is sucking down the juice, but it works to keep the main room cool and clear of smoke.

Indeed, I hate A/C, I don't mind it warm(ish), and the extra dry indoor air it makes sucks, but when the alternative is chewy thick smoke I'll tough it out. In another month or so it'll be dark and rainy every day, gotta try and enjoy every warm clear day I can right now.

On the up side I can drive my forklift with it's piddly little tires anywhere in the yard right now, I've been pulling up dead or sick trees, fence posts, moving old playhouses the kids haven't used in years, and getting at other heavy stuff there's no way I'd reach if it was wet and squishy. There's a light at the end of every tunnel I guess, even though the last few days it's been varying shades of orange.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

It has been 95 degrees every day since Tuesday, super humid too, I know it's not what some of you are facing, but pretty brutal for Vt.
No AC, just a bunch of fans.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

That sounds brutal for anywhere, but we are usually blessed with 72-75 degrees and 50-60% humidity this time of year, so some of the light weights are melting, conditions like yours might even make me consider hiding out inside.
I've been sneaking around turning the window A/C thermostats warmer and warmer a little at a time, nobody has noticed yet, jokes on them, it's still cooler than outside. Razz

Слава Україні!
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Our daughter in Portland reported 101 degrees yesterday. They have *two* portable a/c units and that keep their bedroom and living room cool. They both work remote so that keeps their two "offices" tolerable.

We hit 106 in Canby. Drove the bus since the Volvo lost a relay related to the a/c... funny how I'm less annoyed driving the bus in this heat than the wagon. It can stop any time though, I hate this heat. Today the heat, smoke and humidity just about killed me on top of an 11 hour workday.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: