Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vent gas for newer battery in 911 1984 Carrera
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank menschel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: vent gas for newer battery in 911 1984 Carrera Reply with quote

I have a 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera. the current diehard international TYPE E just died. It was installed in 2010. I have noticed that all newer type batteries require venting for gas. How is this accomplished on the 911.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: vent gas for newer battery in 911 1984 Carrera Reply with quote

frank menschel wrote:
I have a 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera. the current diehard international TYPE E just died. It was installed in 2010. I have noticed that all newer type batteries require venting for gas. How is this accomplished on the 911.

All lead acid batteries vent gas. Old or new. Its not a big deal (unless you have a match close by) . Not much gas.

A few batteries had a small tube in certain cars. Your 2010 battery most probably had a small flat tube molded into the top on one end. Look around the edge. They all have gas vents.

Really older ones with screw caps or pus on top...each cap or plug had a small vent hole in it.

Maintenance free batteries (no caps) have the flat vent hole I was speaking of.

BUT...if your battery is in a confined area and you are worried about hydrogen build up...you can buy battery venting kits that usually have a barbed connector and a length of clear PVC tubing. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GH85Carrera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: vent gas for newer battery in 911 1984 Carrera Reply with quote

Unless the battery lost a charge, and you are charging it with a large charger, the amount of hydrogen generated is very small.

I have a little battery maintainer mounted in my trunk. I just plug it in, and leave the hood up on the safety hook, and not closed. After 26 year, never an issue. Of course it stays topped off that way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: