Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Online Vendors
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nprichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently purchased a 74' Ghia Convertible and need to order quite a few parts. Who are the most reliable sources online with good prices?

Thanks,
Nathan
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

Some stuff I buy requires top quality and I don't care about price, I.E., brake and ignition parts, or engine components - other mission critical stuff. I prefer aircooled.net.

Sometimes I shop strictly on price then I go to cip1.com.

However, if I need something fast I use a guy that's in the same state I am, appletreeauto.com. He overnighted me a clutch cable recently and I didn't even get my order in to him until after 4:00 pm. He only charged $14 shipping which I thought was more than fair. 18 hours later it was at my door.

It's made of rubber I go to Wolfsburg West.

jbugs always takes longer (for me) than other vendors, it seems.

Only ever had an issue with one vendor that involved back ordering and bad communication. I'm not going to name them though.

Good luck and have fun - Jim
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

Depends on what you need. Have you noodled around ISP?

https://vwispwest.com/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

I’ll add this. What year and what are you looking for? Some people just might have a donor (Parts car) for what you need Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

the samba is usualy pretty good...but...yup there are scammers hear too. it kinda all depends on what you need to get. and always checking the shipping cost. some places stick it to you.and some places send you shit thats not what you tinnk you ordered...see eye peed down your leg one time dot com. steer clear of them.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

Shopping on price has a high probability of ending in disappointment. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason, but even some of the best aftermarket stuff is not nearly as good as original VW parts. So ...

www.airheadparts.com started out as Karman Ghia Parts and Restoration. They now carry parts for most VWs, but they know Karmann Ghias.

I also like West Coast Metric and Wolfsburg West and CB Performance. Also, since you have a convertible, check out https://chucksconvertibleparts.com

Also, there is a dedicated forum here for Ghias that would probably be a better place for any of your Ghia specific topics. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
nprichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for all the recommendations. Most of these sites I hadn't landed on yet. This is very helpful.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

for kg parts
Airhead parts which used to be KG parts and restorations. you can usually talk to some one that knows a little about the cars.
Isp west is excellent as well but specializes in type 3 parts although he has other stuff.
J buggs for upholstery and wcm items

there used to be a chucks convertibles for top related items but its been a while not sure on his status these days.

karman ghia and convertible parts are going to be a bit more scarce so add the kg and convertible tax to most parts
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

The link below is in the ghia stickys. Some may be older or no longer in business but a similar sticky in the bay window forum has helped me in the past. I've had good experiences with quality and service with Wolfsburg West and West Coast Metric.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587940
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

House of Ghia in Salem, OR.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/house-of-ghia-salem
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

I honestly try to use one of our local VW Air Cooled shops for parts if I can. Usually their prices are a little higher, but sometimes the information they give is priceless. If I do use on-line vendors it is WW first, CIP1 next. Smile
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

I’ve found most online vendors to be spotty at best.
I feel like ACN tries not to sell inferior parts but their site doesn’t tell you if they have it in stock, so it’s order and hope.
CIP1 is probably my favorite as they tell you if they have it. They sell good stuff and crap stuff but they tell you if it’s a good part or not.
Keep in mind that most of the parts for these old cars are only made by a couple of outfits and marketed by everyone.
I tend to stay away from the guys that just list a part number with no info about who is manufacturing it. This is especially true with soft goods like seat covers, rubber and upholstery. Engine parts as well.
I have my favorites. Others have theirs.
Before the internet, my best advise would be to make some friends at a well known shop. Their knowledge and expertise is invaluable.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I’ve found most online vendors to be spotty at best.
I feel like ACN tries not to sell inferior parts

Used to be but not anymore. I don't think there is really a choice now but still - he does sell the same crap as everyone else
Quote:

Keep in mind that most of the parts for these old cars are only made by a couple of outfits and marketed by everyone.

Totally accurate in most cases

I like ISPWest and WolfsburgWest. Wolfgang is good as well, they sell their own products as well as other manufacturers
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

I compiled helpful resources here (along with a listing of parts sources)

AlmostHeavenWV's Orientation Page for the Samba
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

nprichard wrote:
Hello,

I recently purchased a 74' Ghia Convertible and need to order quite a few parts. Who are the most reliable sources online with good prices?

Thanks,
Nathan

www.Bughaus.com located two states away you’ll save on shipping while dealing directly with the owner.
lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Best Online Vendors Reply with quote

Has anyone dealt with The VDub Factory? Their prices on Vintage Speed products look pretty good.
https://thevdubfactory.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: