Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Cargo Area Tie Down?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

I've been thinking of ways to secure cargo in the rear area, after seeing several comments in a recent thread about a crashed bus. (Actually have thought about it earlier than that, the thread emphasized it for me.)

So I'm wondering if anyone has added any sort of cleats or something to help secure cargo in the back area? If so, what did you do?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

I’ve thought about adding some ‘D’ rings to tie the cargo down. Any hardware store should carry them, or a truck accessories place. You can get almost any size you want. The only issue I see is the weight they will hold is limited to how well they are mounted. If you just screw then into sheet metal, there’s not much strength. If you can access the backside to beef it up with fender washers and bolts (Like from the engine bay), you should have plenty of strength.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

Cool. That's along the lines of what I was thinking. I guess at least in part I am looking for if there are other ideas I've not considered, or other considerations in general I might not be thinking about.

Having a baby in a car seat back there makes me think about this kind of thing more than I did before!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

I'd just attach some D-Rings to the rear cargo floor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q2H38F6/ref=s...mp;sr=8-13

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

Seat belts are designed to hold a pudgy 250 pound human in place during a head on. Cargo weighing that much or more is going to be very hard to contain in the same situation. Not only do you need good fastening points, but you need strong shock absorbing cordage and netting.

Somewhere out in web land is video of dog carriers being tested. The carriers almost all spit fluffy old Bowser out the side of the carrier in an accident.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

Yikes. Good point. Though I don't usually have 250 lbs of cargo.

I guess it would still be an improvement to keep stuff from flying forward in the event of a panic stop or something.

Some places sell seat belt bolts that also have an eye. So I suppose one of those could be mounted with one of the big ole washers and some beefy straps used to hold things in place.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

Install E Track.

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/collections/e-track
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Seat belts are designed to hold a pudgy 250 pound human in place during a head on. Cargo weighing that much or more is going to be very hard to contain in the same situation. Not only do you need good fastening points, but you need strong shock absorbing cordage and netting.

Somewhere out in web land is video of dog carriers being tested. The carriers almost all spit fluffy old Bowser out the side of the carrier in an accident.

Actual legal design is 5th percentile woman to 95th percentile man, so 102lb to 215lb (plus lot so of other dimensions listed in 49 CFR § 571.209).

Makes me eek as I haven't been 215 for quite a few years lol
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

I am guessing that most of your cargo areas look a bit different than mine, However, I just installed these in the 4 corners of my cargo bed and they are invaluable for securing loads. These are bolted down using the captive nuts that are used to mount the hoops (so rarely used). I remember there being several mounting points in the floor of a standard bus that are covered with plastic plugs. I wouldn’t use these to prevent load shifting in an accident but for stabilizing loads so they don’t shift they work great. 4 for $10 on Amazon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ryan P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

This is a good topic, I hope everyone has a good solution to stowing gear. I was one that did not. I would back my gear in nice Rubbermaid containers in the back and was good to go. After my accident, I had found items that were packed in these containers in the front. This is a picture showing how lucky we were. The front windshield was cracked from an item hitting it from the inside.

nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cargo Area Tie Down? Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:

I have those very same tie downs in my '70 crew cab as well... and even similar buttoned bolts for the hoop holes. Fine minds!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: