Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine crating or boxing
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Engine crating or boxing Reply with quote

I know it is necessary to strap /palletize an engine when shipping. My question is... what is the best way to do this? Not sending with an actual shipping company so can be anything secure.So should I remove the carb and fan shroud and manifold to reduce box size? What I really need is some pics as examples if you have done this. Again ,I am not shipping by air
or freight truck .TIA!
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine crating or boxing Reply with quote

Strip engine down to a long block, strap to a pallet (make one), cover in plastic.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Engine crating or boxing Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Not sending with an actual shipping company so can be anything secure.

What does that mean?, buddy with a pickup truck? An old tire to sit it on and a ratchet strap to keep it in place will work for that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine crating or boxing Reply with quote

Well it's a mix of possible storage and where it will actually be while transported..... ,pickup bed, trailer,uhaul ....not known yet. Still want to contain together so maybe I have to create a crate that will hold the long lock down while containing all other parts inside.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine crating or boxing Reply with quote

Well it's a mix of possible storage and where it will actually be while transported..... ,pickup bed, trailer,uhaul ....not known yet. Still want to contain together so maybe I have to create a crate that will hold the long lock down while containing all other parts inside.Oh so I see a long lock weighs 150? Then heater boxes and All tin coming off, 2 boxes maybe
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine crating or boxing Reply with quote

Cram all the surplus parts into the recesses and crannies, then use a whole roll of pallet wrap on it to keep it all herded in there and protected. Even with some bonus parts added it still couldn't be too heavy for two reasonably healthy people to manhandle.

Or go around the back of your local Harbor freight and see if there's a crate in the dumpster that meets your needs.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine crating or boxing Reply with quote

Engines are already waterproof to basic rain, if you don't do anything to screw that up then it does not need to be in a box.
Just cover over whatever parts are missing that makes it not waterproof, and that should be fine for shipping in a pickup or on a flat trailer.
So, you just need some type of minimal frame or brackets to secure the engine to the trailer. I don't see removing the exhaust be useful as the exhaust system is basically the only part of a VW engine that you can put straps on. But it makes it lighter....does it need to be lighter? only if there is a strict weight limit.
If your gonna get somebody to "hotshot" it then I think all they need is a way to strap it down and maybe help loading it. Two men in good physical shape can lift a 200lb VW engine just fine IMO, so if you have that available on both ends then it should be no big deal.

If the engine is shipped on a pallet next to other pallets in a standard trailer, as in usual LTL freight service, it becomes a good idea to put it in a crate, this protects it from other things falling on it.....and protects the other freight from your pointy engine or machine damaging the other freight.
A full size pallet there is usually no additional charge up to 400lb, so you might as well crate it. it's kinda odd but it makes sense.
You have to understand that the pallets are not secured in the trailer, ideally they are all box shaped square things so it's no big deal if they rest against eachother or shift and slide a bit. Often there is no discount for a half pallet, same price as full, I guess the half pallet is just more likely to tip over really.
You put any old odd shaped whatever machine just strapped on a pallet and ship it like normal, you can do that, people DO do that......but expect that things will fall on it, and all the studs or knobs whatever will end up bent on arrival, and in many cases it also pokes holes in whatever fell on it and nobody likes that either.
Just saying,
pallets are for forklifts or pallet jacks to lift it.
and crates are needed to make odd shaped loads square shaped to fit in a square world.
That's why crate engines come in crates on pallets.
You may not need a crate or a pallet unless it is necessary.
But if it is necessary then do it right.
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine crating or boxing Reply with quote

buy a crate from uline just a pallet with a light weight plywood box. they build up nice and will fit a complete vw engine. the ply wood box will hold allot of extra parts going with the engine keeping it all together safe and secure.

https://www.uline.com/BL_427/Standard-Wood-Crates
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: