Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Better Brake Shoes for Off Road
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

First off, I'm not interested in converting to disc brakes.

I'm looking for a supplier of top of the line brake shoes.

Years ago, some company was selling premium brakes shoes with a semi-metalic material that were better than stock shoes.

I can't find that company anymore.

I have 1965 type one front brakes on my Baja.

Anyone have any ideas?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

There were brake shoes that were used for off road racing going that were known as Woven brake shoes. They were very aggressive and worn out many drums. You may still be able find them. Check with places like KarTek and McKenzie’s may still have them.
I hope you have good supply of brake drums to replace the ones you will wear out.
Semi metallic brake shoes will also wear out drums prematurely when used in dirt and sand.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

If you are running taller tires you will be loosing mechanical advantage. Type 3 brakes on the back with tall rubber might bring back some lost brake power there. Think about larger wheel cylinders, smaller master cylinder, longer brake peddle lever or a combination of all three.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

I run 33” tires in the back, and I can lock them up.

I modified my rear backing plates (IRS) for Super Beetle front wheel cylinders, which are 23.6mm. Basically you have to slot the bolt hole for the cylinder a couple mm. A rat tail file makes quick work of this. The steel used for the backing plates is really soft and files like butter. Then I made a thin (16 gauge if I recall) spacer for the wheel cylinder to center it with the shoes. Pretty easy mod, and stops great.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

My rear brakes are fine. I have a Bus gear reduction transaxle with early Bus rear brakes. The rear wheel cylinders are 22mm.

I'm just looking for the best front brake shoes.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
I run 33” tires in the back, and I can lock them up.

I modified my rear backing plates (IRS) for Super Beetle front wheel cylinders, which are 23.6mm. Basically you have to slot the bolt hole for the cylinder a couple mm. A rat tail file makes quick work of this. The steel used for the backing plates is really soft and files like butter. Then I made a thin (16 gauge if I recall) spacer for the wheel cylinder to center it with the shoes. Pretty easy mod, and stops great.

I used larger bore front brake cylinders in the rear too. Made a huge difference in stopping as well!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

thefladge wrote:
My rear brakes are fine. I have a Bus gear reduction transaxle with early Bus rear brakes. The rear wheel cylinders are 22mm.

I'm just looking for the best front brake shoes.

Ok so then is it a brake front/rear imbalance you are trying to correct? A more aggressive brake shoe may be the ticket but I don't know who makes them.

I have Bus rear brakes on my sand rail and have just added stock Beetle front brakes. Yes the balance is off and the rears lock up easily before the front. I bought an adjustable proportioning valve and am about to install it today or tomorrow and will see if that solves the problem.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

I'm just looking for the best brake shoes available.

I've bought sets in the past that were terrible.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

How about aircooled.net super stopper brake shoes?

I do recommend larger rear brake cylinders too to help out the braking bias with those large rear tires.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=super+stopper&x=0&y=0
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

check @ McKENZIES, for their "severe-duty" brake shoes.......I have a set of fronts from a 1972, complete with drums

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
How about aircooled.net super stopper brake shoes?

I do recommend larger rear brake cylinders too to help out the braking bias with those large rear tires.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=super+stopper&x=0&y=0

I think those Super Stopper shoes are what I'm looking for. Semi-metalic. Thanks for the tip.

The brake shoes I DON'T recommend are A.C. Industries shoes from So Cal Imports. I had a set on my car several years ago and the material broke loose from one of the shoes while I was driving to work. Fortunately there were no other cars near me at the time or it would have been a disaster.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

Check these out...
https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/Products/?YearS...ufacturers

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

Funny...I used to know Andy Porterfield back in the 60s and 70s when he raced Corvettes and Camaros in SCCA racing. I last encountered him in the 1980s when I was on the crew of a Trans Am car. Now to encounter someone on a VW offroad site referring to his products is a little weird.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Better Brake Shoes for Off Road Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Funny...I used to know Andy Porterfield back in the 60s and 70s when he raced Corvettes and Camaros in SCCA racing. I last encountered him in the 1980s when I was on the crew of a Trans Am car. Now to encounter someone on a VW offroad site referring to his products is a little weird.

Why? I was a 15 year veteran of the SCCA, mostly Auto Cross, I was 1 of the Auto Cross tech inspector for about 14 of them, it was easier then working the corners, tech all the cars and sit back and watch between runs. I had a great time until it got to expensive to run and my best friend passed away, we ran the same car and when he passed it was no longer fun. I tried running my Datsun 510 but just could not get back into it.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: